IR231 Model A dual inputs?

JHZR2

Staff member
Just picked up a decent IR 231 model A just for kicks. As much as I love battery impacts, I do like air tools too.

IMG_3957.jpeg

This one has two ports on the bottom it seems. Any idea why? Photos of others (newer?) show one.

IMG_3958.jpeg

That Ingersoll has a sound like no other. Wear ear protection if used frequently. I recall them being a very strong impact wrench.

That's a really early model 231 with the exhaust routed to the bottom of the handle and in your face.

Later versions, like 231C, have it in the front above the trigger for a quicker exhaust path. Makes more power and spins more RPM.

I have never seen a 231 with that extra port. I'm still using mine from the 80's. I do have a Mac branded gun that has a screw there for adding oil to a sponge inside. Maybe that's what it is?

Did a google, found one on ebay, but google images seems to be th same.

1706398494943.jpg

1706398576696.jpg

In the OP's photo, the air line going in is not angled back, but seems to be angled forward? I'd think the air hose would/should kick out to the rear, not forward.

Custom modification for... some reason that made sense at the time?

Found this vid which goes into disassembly

Makes me think that the hand hold is just for handling air, so maybe it's conceivable that someone would modify to add a second port?

Lastly, this link shows something pretty similar to the OP's gun.
1706399062187.jpg

1706398940254.jpg

Isn't that the exhaust port?
Maybe? New toy. Haven’t even run it yet. Too many other things going on this weekend…

That's a really early model 231 with the exhaust routed to the bottom of the handle and in your face.

Later versions, like 231C, have it in the front above the trigger for a quicker exhaust path. Makes more power and spins more RPM.
where do you find more info on these older ones?

I don’t have the handle end in my face so I don’t think that will be an issue.

I have never seen a 231 with that extra port. I'm still using mine from the 80's. I do have a Mac branded gun that has a screw there for adding oil to a sponge inside. Maybe that's what it is?

I wonder how old this one is, or how to find out?

Maybe there’s an older owners manual online someplace, though I doubt it…

Did a google, found one on ebay, but google images seems to be th same.

View attachment 200477

View attachment 200478

In the OP's photo, the air line going in is not angled back, but seems to be angled forward? I'd think the air hose would/should kick out to the rear, not forward.

Custom modification for... some reason that made sense at the time?

Found this vid which goes into disassembly

Makes me think that the hand hold is just for handling air, so maybe it's conceivable that someone would modify to add a second port?

Lastly, this link shows something pretty similar to the OP's gun.
View attachment 200480

View attachment 200479

Thanks for doing all that research! I had looked for other photos too, but didn’t get much out of it…

I think that’s it. I went on an eBay photocrawler site and found two with the port. They’re newer than mine, but they are stamped oil on them… It appears…

F672662F-B47A-4789-9169-D4FC76CD08CC.jpeg
9D9E2145-4D5B-456B-8903-095669FD5D67.jpeg

Back