iPod Shuffle without iTunes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been given a 2G nano. I don't currently use OS X, nor a mac on a daily basis. A quick search revealed that other options are available, but some of these are incompatible with the latest ver of the nano.

I currently use a 1G Sansa clip with WXP to play audiobooks & podcasts. I simply drag files to the folders on the clip. Copying CD's is done with WMP, though I'm open to better options. The clips screen makes it easy to navigate, tells how much memory is left and what's left of the battery. The nano has no screen! Perhaps it tells me all of this via earphones or from an itunes screen?

What I don't want is itunes taking control of all the mp3 files I currently have. What are my options here and what do you suggest? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
install itunes and make sure you uncheck the option to manage all mp3 files / make itunes the default application.

I've seen some iPods play nice w/windows media player, but my experience is EXTREMELY limited.
I refuse to use ANY apple products, i was trying to help some not so tech savvy friends who had iPods..

You can install iTunes and only give it the files you want it to have. If you want to manage how the files are stored, there is an option to let you do that.

I was considering Winamp until I read this:
Quote:
Can I manage my portable music devices & players with Winamp 5?

Yes. Winamp 5 seamlessly integrates support for iPod (Shuffle, Mini, Video, Nano (1-4G only, not 5th/6th gen) & Classic models, but currently NOT Touch or iPhone models), Creative Nomad/Zen/MuVo, PlaysForSure (P4S), Generic USB thumbdrives & players, Android smartphones/tablets and ActiveSync Device management. Note that Winamp does not support Zune.

Check out foobar2000. I have an older IPod, but I'm pretty sure the plug-in supports the nano. I like the player much better than ITunes.

I guess I dont know what you are talking about. I have a large MP3 collection, which is a folder that itunes loads from just like winamp or whatever would. Perhaps it makes a copy of the files for an itunes folder, I dont recall. But anything that Ive loaded on my computer, and any file that I rip in itunes, are all accessible and not somehow taken from me just because Im using itunes.

Ive not tried any other player than itunes on mac, mainly because I dont often listen to music from my computer anymore. But Ive run winamp and others in the past, and so long as youre running a PC, I see no reason why you wouldnt just use the player of your choice, and then itunes for the data transfer function...

I fired up a macbook I use from time to time with OS 10.4.11. itunes currently on there is ver. 7. Tried to update it wasn't able to connect to the itunes server was the error msg. Dwnld'd itunes 10.5.xx and it won't install because it's incompatible with 10.4.11. Searched apple's site for an earlier ver of 10.x, but no joy. Maybe it's there, I just can't find it.

But this ipod won't work with anything less than itunes 10.xx and to install that, I need to update the OS.

Life in the digital domain. . . .

I'll check out foobar for windows. . . thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Ooops. . . this thing is not a nano. It's a shuffle. Too late to edit my original post and subject line!

Foobar 2000 will support the shuffle, 1G through 4G.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Ooops. . . this thing is not a nano. It's a shuffle. Too late to edit my original post and subject line!

I just changed it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back