iPhone getting slow? It might be the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I don't buy that excuse. I've had healthy new OEM batteries installed in my older iPhones and they were still slow. Furthermore, they are slow when plugged in.

Fact: Apple slows them down to force the purchase of new phones.

Fact: Apple slows them down because they want to, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Fake news!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: maximus
Originally Posted By: Driz
Thing I like about it iPhone having come over from android is ithat unlike the android smart phones I’ve seen iPhones are easy to crack open and replace the battery.

This is ironic and one reason I detest Apple. They started the permanent battery thing. I havenone the last andoid devices(LG V10) with a replaceable battery.

My old HTC One M7 doesn't have a replaceable battery - it's an old phone.

I liked my HTC One a lot, but it was slow after a year of use. I keep it as my backup phone and use it occasionally (wifi web surfing) to keep it charged and updated (no real OS updates, however.) My iPhone 6+ isn't nearly as customizable and I don't like iOS nearly as much as I like Android, but my iPhone always works. I have experienced minor pauses (did require.

Hard to replace battery in Android ?

Takes me 3 seconds to get the battery out of half the families phones, and under three minutes for the remainder (provided I have my toolkit with the torx 3 bit)

First, the battery can be replaced in less than a hour at a Apple Store. Make the appointment and it will be done.

Second, any update can affect an older phone. New OS updates are optimal for newer phones with speedier processors and other built in tech. In many cases some parts of the OS are not available on older phones.

Third, if you take good care of your iPhone you can trade it in for a new model. Just like automobiles, you will get credit for the value of the iPhone that will be applied to the new one. This is all on Apple’s website or store app.

Apple has a good reputation for backwards compatibility but sometimes that is just not possible. I currently use a iPhone 6. It works just fine and I have no need to update at this time. Before this phone I had a 4s. That phone is being used by a nephew.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
First, the battery can be replaced in less than a hour at a Apple Store. Make the appointment and it will be done.

For the low price of $79, not much less than some automotive batteries. I bought a new battery for my LG at Fry's for $14.99 and I didn't have to make an appointment to get it.

Second, any update can affect an older phone. New OS updates are optimal for newer phones with speedier processors and other built in tech. In many cases some parts of the OS are not available on older phones.

Here's a concept. Don't push the same update to ALL devices. This is what Google does. Older Android devices don't get the newest release of every OS, but still get security patches.

Apple has a good reputation for backwards compatibility but sometimes that is just not possible.

Ya think?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Takes me 3 seconds to get the battery out of half the families phones, and under three minutes for the remainder (provided I have my toolkit with the torx 3 bit)

I looked at the battery replacement video for my Nexus 5X. Definitely not under 3 minutes, but still doable.

iPhones are hugely over rated. Anything iPhone does, there is an Android phone of equivalent power.

Do some wireless carriers charge a premium for iPhone on their network or is that a legend?

Anyhow, still love my aging Moto X 2nd gen using the Qualcomm MSM8974AC Snapdragon 801 chipset w/ quad-core 2.5ghz Krait 400 CPU and the Adreno 330 GPU (graphics proc unit). Streams Youtube, Netflix, and SlingTV smoothly to the television (Chromecast) and the camera is decent. With Republic Wireless my avg monthly bill is thirteen dollars. The phone is slaved to Republic's MNVO (Sprint) plan though, via a special firmware. Republic has been offering a GSM plan using T-Mobile backbone for a year now, where you can bring just about any unlocked Android phone.

I'm not an iPhone convert by any means. I got my 6 Plus two years ago, BNIB from a family member who liked to upgraded every single year (he has since stopped doing that.) Compared to my HTC One M7, it was a super-computer. Even now, two years into ownership, it is mostly flawless. I do miss Android, but my iPhone has been problem-free for two straight years. My family and my wife's family all have iPhones, so the ability to FaceTime and perform other Apple-to-Apple interactions would be missed if I went back to an Android phone. It will pretty much be the only reason I stick with Apple, unless things change in a few years.

FaceTime doesn't seem like that big of a deal, with all of the other video-chat apps, but my parents are pretty clueless and couldn't figure it out most of the time. Even when they decided to upgrade, they went for new Android phones! Luckily, they couldn't figure out a lot of the new features (different brand, different UI), so we were able to talk them into returning it and getting the iPhone 7Plus. There's no doubt about it - iOS is much easier to figure out for old folks. We haven't had a single issue with FaceTiming them whenever, which is really all we care about with them.

If I start to notice major slow-downs and battery issues, I'll likely pay to have the battery replaced and try to keep this thing trucking for another few years. I'd like to get into the habit of keeping smart phones until they're almost literally at EOL, then upgrade to a phone that's a couple of years old, discounted for a couple of hundred bucks. If I can get my 6 Plus to last another few years, I'll be well on that path.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Shannow

I looked at the battery replacement video for my Nexus 5X. Definitely not under 3 minutes, but still doable.

Depends on the model...
* mines a J5
* wife's galaxy S3
* son was Lenovo 916
* daughter's is a Honour 5x (little bit longer but I did a charge port and screen replacement in under 20
* couple other $100 Samsung's and a Huwai for travel and school excursions, similar.

(majority dual sims, which is really handy also)

When the battery gets wobbly, can reset it on one of those two pin camera battery chargers...have reset wife's phone twice.

I think the slow down has more to do with poor software quality than intentionally force you to upgrade.

The design team usually dictate user experience and make things "pretty" and "fashionable", but the focus is of course always on the newer phones. The old ones didn't get much love and they just blame it on another team (hardware, for example) because of the battery life getting destroyed by the newer "user experience", so they play tricks to make it last longer, because a new OS make battery life shorter is not going to look good.

That's all I'm gonna say.

Last edited:

You have a bigger problem with the 5X than battery life. I just got mine repaired out of warranty because of the boot loop. I'm sure next year it will happen again and this time I won't get a free motherboard for it.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

You have a bigger problem with the 5X than battery life. I just got mine repaired out of warranty because of the boot loop. I'm sure next year it will happen again and this time I won't get a free motherboard for it.

Mine is 2 years old at this point. If it dies, I am not even going to bother repairing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back