Interior paint - what to use?

I've just read a couple of threads on this that were about a year old. Faves were PPG, Sherwin Williams, Behr, Benjamin Moore, not necessarily in that order.

Some say get their best paints, some say mid to upper mid price range. And always buy on sale. (Sounds just like oil!) We do not have an outlet for Ben Moore near us.

Any new thoughts, recommendations on interior paint?

I don't think the paint market changes too much year to year. Those recommendations are still valid.

We painted the entire house with Valspar Reserve, which now seems to be Valspar Signature. It's the toughest paint I've ever seen.

People have their preferences. I've used Behr, Valspar, Pittsburgh, Sherwin Williams. My fave is Benjamin Moore. Use what you like, make sure the surface is prepped well.

What are you painting?

Lots of good choices. I just did one of my kid's bedroom with Valspar Signature last week. Excellent one coat coverage, but much of that was his color choice I think. I've been mostly using Valspar from BLowes or Behr from Homes Depot for many years, with some Ben Moore in the mix from a paint store in town. Those have always been good to me.

Sherwin Williams Cashmere is the best interior wall paint I've ever used. Smooth, covers good, doesn't run, just lovely. Look for 30 and 40% off sales at the SW store. They seem to have one running about half the time. Use a good quality roller, and a flood light to ensure even application. I've found the reduced thickness Purdy brushes easier to use for cutting in than a regular brush. And remember, painting is what you do when you just absolutely can't find any more prep work to do.

People have their preferences. I've used Behr, Valspar, Pittsburgh, Sherwin Williams. My fave is Benjamin Moore. Use what you like, make sure the surface is prepped well.

What are you painting?

Master bedroom.

Interior paint isn't as picky and you can get good results with most of the paints mentioned earlier. I'd say Benjamin Moore Aura, or Shewin Williams Duration are probably the top ones although I think there might be a line out that's better than Duration now. But I've gotten good results even from Sherwin William's Super Paint which is one step below Duration. Benjamin Moore only discounts so much. Behr and Valspar is ok in pinch. Real key is to use good brushes and rollers, Purdy for brushes and the white wove rollers. One reason why Benjamin Moore is so expensive on their Aura line is that it dries in about an hour so after you finish painting the room you can actually just start the second coat pretty much right afterwards. But they also claim that many times you can just get away with one coat.

Lucky for me, my wife does all the interior painting around here. She swears by Sherwin Williams and that is all she will buy. It's not cheap, but she always finds a coupon or discount code to lower the price.

Most of the cost in painting is labor. No sense in going cheap on the paint but having to do it twice.

I had a custom 2900 SF ranch built in 2017. After rescearhing paint on the Paint Talk website, I requested the custom builder use someone that uses Benjamin Moore paint. BM uses their own tints known as Gennex. Most other paints use what's called universal tints. BM paint simply has a different pop to the color.

Read thread number 3

The bottom Youtube channel has SEVERAL videos on how to paint.

This is the paint that the interior of my house is painted with minus the bathrooms and kitchen.
It's a pro paint and not as expensive as you think.

IMO Behr is the best value for the money, Benjamin Moore is great paint, Sherwin Williams is great paint but I'd only buy when they have 30%-40% off. Years ago I used a Glidden paint and it when on like ball bearings.

Isn't Benjamin Moore the only one that hasn't gone cheap on their components? I read that SW made various cuts to quality and aren't really worth it any more.

The bottom Youtube channel has SEVERAL videos on how to paint.

This is the paint that the interior of my house is painted with minus the bathrooms and kitchen.
It's a pro paint and not as expensive as you think.
The dirty secret is that "pro" paint is basically contractor grade. It's their low end line that looks good and works fine for new construction. On the other hand if you're painting over something, then things like being able to hide over imperfections and previous coats become more important.

I use Sherwood Williams Cashmere or Emerald low luster in our house and like both. Buy it when they have their 30 or 40% off sale if you have a lot of painting to do and you can always bring it back to have it tinted later if you aren’t sure on colors at the time of the sale.

Back