Interesting comments from yesterday's Uber driver reference auto insurance points

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Yesterday's Uber driver was a former independent insurance broker who sold his agency a few years ago and drives for Uber to stay busy.

The driver stated the point system on auto insurance has significantly changed. He stated points use to only apply for at fault claims. He stated now all claims are applied points, to include windshield replacement and roadside assistance.

If what the Uber driver stated is in fact correct, it really changes the thought process of going through insurance for a windshield replacement or roadside assistance.

Yep, I worked in auto claims right out of college for a bit. I will never contact my insurance unless it is a last resort. Any time you "utilize their services" they view that as a risk to their profits, and will adjust your premiums accordingly. If you are hit by someone, handle everything through the at-fault party's insurance. Even if you aren't at fault but notify your insurance, they will now see you as more of a "risk", whether it be risky driving practices or living in an area where wrecks are more likely to occur.

they don't use a points system here but when you apply they want to know how many accidents you've been involved in for the last 5 years. Involved, not at fault.....

My Wife got penalised heavily when she was 18 by her insurance company because someone reversed into her car while she was parked up. Apparently a previous non-fault claim makes you more likely to have an at fault claim? :mad:

they don't use a points system here but when you apply they want to know how many accidents you've been involved in for the last 5 years. Involved, not at fault.....
The company I worked for looked at the following metrics:
1. Driving history (past infractions/accident involvement/claims)
2. Amount paid out by your insurance/the other party's insurance for those claims
3. Education
4. Income
5. Your income to debt ratio
6. Your health insurance claims
7. Social media

#2 is really not fair in my opinion, because you could be sitting still at a light, and get hit by some bozo who then hits 3 other cars and drives through a building, which can be a very large payout for the claim overall.

@Jetronic , Where is "down in the park"?

@GON, no mention of using credit score to determine rates?
Azj, credit score was not part of yesterday's conversation, but as you mention, it is widely understood that credit scores play into many insurance rates calculations.

His beef was he had a few roadside assistance and windshield replacements, but no at fault claims , but he still had "high" points impacting his rates.

My Wife got penalised heavily when she was 18 by her insurance company because someone reversed into her car while she was parked up. Apparently a previous non-fault claim makes you more likely to have an at fault claim? :mad:
In the eyes of the insurance company, your wife drove in an area that makes her more likely to require an insurance payout, which means a risk to their profits.

My sister has never been in a car accident or received a ticket. She is two years younger than me and drives a 2013 Jetta with liability only. Her insurance is twice what mine is for 2 cars because of the area where she lives/drives.

This should reference the US state that this broker worked in or is referring to. Things like this are state-specific (though many might be similar).
Th evergreen State- Washington

I will never contact my insurance unless it is a last resort. Any time you "utilize their services" they view that as a risk to their profits, and will adjust your premiums accordingly.
This only applies (or should only apply) when dealing with the company directly. I can call my independent agent and as he's told me more than once, it is only he and I talking, not he, I, and my insurance carrier.

This only applies (or should only apply) when dealing with the company directly. I can call my independent agent and as he's told me more than once, it is only he and I talking, not he, I, and my insurance carrier.
Yeah agents can be a different scenario, but I will warn that not all of them operate the same. I mean after all they are affiliated with the company.

Not sure I've used my Roadside assistance or towing in over 30 years. Maybe never?

I did make a windshield claim in 2014, I think it was my first ever?

Since then, I've paid out of pocket for two other windshields (about $225 each). I've had one claim against me for liability (collision repair to another vehicle) and collision repair to mine (2012).

I complain all the time to my State Farm agent about my rates, but they always say that my rates are some of the lowest of their entire book. I know they are, I just like to whine about it.... I have 4 vehicles, 2 boats and a house insured with State Farm. Been with them for auto since 1988. If listening to the media is any indication, my auto rates are about 1/2 of what the "average" person in GA pays for auto insurance, and I bet I have 3x the liability coverage....

Yep, I worked in auto claims right out of college for a bit. I will never contact my insurance unless it is a last resort. Any time you "utilize their services" they view that as a risk to their profits, and will adjust your premiums accordingly. If you are hit by someone, handle everything through the at-fault party's insurance. Even if you aren't at fault but notify your insurance, they will now see you as more of a "risk", whether it be risky driving practices or living in an area where wrecks are more likely to occur.

I have the same thoughts. We were hit by a tractor-trailer a few years ago and I tried for 3 weeks to pursue the driver, his insurance, the tractor owner, their insurance, the trailer owner, their insurance and the driver's employer and their insurance. They all knew it was a circus and they all knew they could keep denying me and my attempts. I finally succumbed and suborgated through my insurance.

After 3 months later, I get a call from the representative of the insurance company of the party that State Farm had tracked down and was going to reimburse State Farm for the claim. She apologized, she understood and offered me a small settlement for my troubles and even sent my deductible reimbursement check directly to me instead of State Farm.

I have come to the realization that if you are involved in a wreck and not at fault, no matter how "small" the wreck, the ONLY way you will get attention for the claim in quick order is to invoke "my back, my neck, my back, my knee, my back, my neck" clause..... and leave in a box truck with flashing lights on it.....

I have State Farm and use their drive safe app on my phone. Sure you have to take it easy but it pays in the long run. I never file an insurance claim for glass. I think it's a lot extra per year and I have not broken a windshield in 10 years and if it happens I will pay out of my pocket. All insurance companies will charge more if you have a history of turning in claims.

Not sure I've used my Roadside assistance or towing in over 30 years. Maybe never?

I did make a windshield claim in 2014, I think it was my first ever?

Since then, I've paid out of pocket for two other windshields (about $225 each). I've had one claim against me for liability (collision repair to another vehicle) and collision repair to mine (2012).

I complain all the time to my State Farm agent about my rates, but they always say that my rates are some of the lowest of their entire book. I know they are, I just like to whine about it.... I have 4 vehicles, 2 boats and a house insured with State Farm. Been with them for auto since 1988. If listening to the media is any indication, my auto rates are about 1/2 of what the "average" person in GA pays for auto insurance, and I bet I have 3x the liability coverage....
Windshield replacements in new cars with the driver assist features run any where from $700.00 to $3,000.00. I have had three quotes for my 2020 F150 - $700.00 to $900.00.

I would love to pay out of pocket for a windshield but the Tiguan's replacement plus recalibration was almost $1,000 so it wasn't feasible. Doesn't surprise me though that all gets factored in, our insurance rates have skyrocketed it and I attribute that to the influx of patrons from out of state. It sucks really because it doesn't matter where I go the rate just gets higher.

Those of you with these newer, fancier cars with all this "technology" wouldn't have bought them with those features/options if it were priced separately and sitting next to a vehicle just like yours without it.

Gee... Imagine a world in which a company bases it's operational model on taking money from clients and calculating how to "Not" pay-out a legitimate claim.
This not only goes for automobile insurance, but health insurance. And yes... they are able to sleep at night. o_O

I would love to pay out of pocket for a windshield but the Tiguan's replacement plus recalibration was almost $1,000 so it wasn't feasible. Doesn't surprise me though that all gets factored in, our insurance rates have skyrocketed it and I attribute that to the influx of patrons from out of state. It sucks really because it doesn't matter where I go the rate just gets higher.
That's a simplistic reasoning for rise in insurance rates. There are many examples of vehicles being "totaled" posted on here with damage deemed unrepairable-but at the same time the vehicle bringing major bucks at auction. To figure what rates are what they are is futile.

Back