Interested in views on Red Line & Neo

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
The main point was just how tough it was for anyone to actually sell synthetics in the early days...

Good point.

quote:

...and as much as people hate Al...

I don't believe many people actually hate Al. However, many may dislike his marketing methods.

quote:

Originally posted by biomed_eng_2000:
The people hanging out here are oil "fans", "fans" meaning short for fanatics.

You guys wouldn't include me in that category would you?
grin.gif

NEO was mentioned in a 1976 Article on synthetics in Popular Science Magazine. This was the same article in which I became aware of Amsoil and started using the stuff.

TS

quote:

Yes but the article was 1976.

Obviously synthetic oil has been around since the 1930's (Germany). Was it available for passenger cars? No - who marketed the first synthetic oil for passenger cars in the USA?

check your facts Mr. Amsoil
http://oil4kids.com/syn-hist.htm

Seems like everone here likes Redline (or Amsoil) enough to overlook Neo.

OK I was OFF on the Germany wisecrack....

quote:

Yet it wasn't until 1929 that the commercial development of synthesized hydrocarbons was undertaken by Standard Oil of Indiana.........1937 was also year that the Zurich Aviation Congress became interested in ester based lubricant technology. From 1938 to 1944 thousands of esters were evaluated in Germany with excellent results.

Where else am I wrong? This is kinda fun. I guess.

I don't believe the premise of the question...I think it's just someone trolling for information.

Lets' see some more details of this supposed research.
smile.gif

TS

supposed research, huh?
Type "synthetic oil history" into google, as in www.google.com
The first hit is the link I posted. It's an AMSOIL dealer site.

And the IMPORTANT PARTS that Pablo left out are:

One bi-product of this process has been the development of synthetic motor oil. It is believed that the first synthesized hydrocarbons were created by Friedel & Crafts in 1877 using Aluminum TriChrloride as the catalyst. Yet it wasn't until 1929 that the commercial development of synthesized hydrocarbons was undertaken by Standard Oil of Indiana. Not surprisingly there was a lack of demand for the new product and this first marketplace introduction of synthetic lubricants was commercially unsuccessful. (There is probably no relationship between this event and collapse of stock market later that year.)

So.
Synthetics frist made in 1877. Friedel does sound like a German name.
Rockefeller beat Amsoil to the market by about 40 years.
And synthetics might be responsible for the Great Depression.
grin.gif

I'm not trying to be a wiseacre, I just come across that way.

Pablo, which Cal Poly did you goto?

website also says:

Eight years later the first PAO, a synthetic product using olefin polymerization, was manufactured. 1937 was also year that the Zurich Aviation Congress became interested in ester based lubricant technology. From 1938 to 1944 thousands of esters were evaluated in Germany with excellent results. In our own country ester basestocks were also being developed by the United States Naval Research Laboratory and introduced into military aviation applications during the 1940's.

Whoa - slow down. I was agreeing with 427 (Doesn't really matter), we are splitting hairs......but since you seem to not read what I post:

"commercial development" does not equal use in passenger cars.

And "first synthesized hydrocarbons" does not equal first synthetic oil.

Mr. Wiseacre - Despite your attempts to portray me as such, I am not trying to bamboozle anyone and yes I had 2 years of organic chemistry. Your web browsing is no more factual than the info I posted if you actually read my words, rather than play "hassle the guy with the Amsoil logo"....tiring more than anything.

gtx510 I am trying to get your point here.
It is better to look at the wide screen and not only at it's part.
From the same web site you mentioned before:
"The truth is, automobiles put even more stress on a lubricant than jet engines because air aspirated car engines must deal with dirt and the messy by-products of combustion. The problem was how to bring the expanded temperature range performance, wear protection and service life of a synthetic into an automotive setting. Amatuzio believed he had found a way.

According to Jack Arotta, a Duluth Minnesota businessman today, "I was the first guy to put it (a specially formulated 100% synthetic motor oil) in a brand new car, a 1966 Ford Station Wagon. Al was my squadron commander up at the air base, so I always use the joke that since Al was my squadron commander, how could I not put it in when he told me to."

Actually, for more than a year Jack had been putting a variety of Al's synthetic formulations in his previous cars, so he did not feel that he was putting his vehicle at serious risk. After several more years of fine tuning his formulation, AMZOIL (Amatuzio-oil) was created and became the first 100% synthetic diester based engine oil to pass the API sequence tests and receive API qualification in 1972."

AMSOIL or Pablo or anyone at his skill NEVER said anything different than the truth.

You seem like you're getting annoyed? I'm just throwing out the info that I find. Sorry if it doesn't agree with your marketing info.
I hadn't intended to "hassle" you, again, sorry if you feel like I'm giving you a hard time or am putting you on the spot.

I'll agree with your 2 rebutals. But I wonder what Standard and the other guy made.

oh, yeah. you probably won't like this info either:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil#Synthetic_oil_as_a_substitute_for_motor_oil

quote:

Although in use in the aerospace industry for some years prior, synthetic oil first became commercially available for automobile engines in the early-1970s.The French Oil company MOTUL first introduced commercial synthetic-oil in 1971. The first company to develop an API-rated 100% synthetic motor oil available in the United States was Amsoil Inc. [1] Mobil 1 was introduced in 1974 as the first API certified synthetic engine oil. In 1992, Porsche became the first automobile manufacturer to factory-fill all their new car engines with synthetic oil

Another site that won't agree. (Granted it is the competition's site)

www.synlube.com/synthetic.htm
Nazi's had a syn-blend, for cars...

BTW, Pablo, I wasn't doubting your edjumation, but now that you mention it. 2 years of OC? Either you failed a couple times (semester classes) or your still short a couple years for a degree?
Actually, I wanted to know if you went to SLO or Ponoma...

Well gtx510, nothing new for me. I have already read both these articles and many-many more. SynLube use some truths to trick on my brain and finally saying that it's lube is 100% synthetic but Mobil 1 and AMSOIL are not true 100% synthetics... Rough way for SynLube.
I think that you are on a hurry.
What is your point for me to keep?

This is my effort for understanding and nothing more. No offense of course.

Not really annoyed - just hair splitting. Some of it is factual, some buried in marketing lore to be sure.

I had heard the Motul claims before. Who knows? Maybe this is why Amsoil is careful to say "first....API". As for synlube - they will say anything. I think.

1 year of basic OC (typical) and then combined with other chemistry classes, advanced organic and biochemistry, etc - believe me extracting strange amines from rotten fish can be interesting. Anyway 2 years. Then I worked as an R&D Chemist after I graduated. Neither, did the coolant test at Pomona later, though.

Pablo "I know some here would struggle with this, but Redline and NEO may not be in existence without Amsoil, or at least they would have had it harder as well."
lol.gif

While Al's entrpenurism and vision is examplinary and he was the first in the US. It is obvious that the technology had been around awhile. Motul had already gotten it going and Mobil did not just wake-up in 1974 and say wow lets now make a 100% syn oil. Irregardless of who was the first, synthetic engine oils time had come. As with most products others will follow suit vying for market share and/or to keep pace with competitors.

ON Topic.
Neo is pretty much invisible here in the midwest. Maybe some racers in Joliet
dunno.gif

redline has a name with their shockproof gear oil with the stock cars. Rp is more popular around here for engine oils, but that is still a very small market share.

Well now, you are stretching my memory here but as I recall Eon was the brand name used by Pacer Lubricants in Houston, Texas in the 1970's. Their Eon E-11 was the oil used in the infamous Houston Police Test in 1973. They were sued by Exxon for marketing the oil as "Exxon without the double cross" and had to change the name. A Florida company called Zonox was also sued and changed to Zenex.

The first fully qualified (API SE/CC) synthetic motor oil was developed by Hatco for Al Amatuzio in 1972 and marketed by Amsoil. The product was a 10W-40 based entirely on a diester (DTDA). Hatco also produced the synthetic oils for Pacer and Zenex (different formulations from the Amsoil product), as well as for many of the other early synthetic oil companies of the era.

Interestingly, the President of Pacer Lubricants at the time was John Williams, father of Jodi who started Royal Purple.

quote:

Originally posted by Tom NJ:
The first fully qualified (API SE/CC) synthetic motor oil was developed by Hatco for Al Amatuzio in 1972 and marketed by Amsoil.

But was it certified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back