Insect war!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to post an update in this topic thread-
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1947203#Post1947203

...but since I have spider questions I figured I'd start a new thread.

The above topic started with a picture asking to identify a small brown bettle that seems resistant to everything except a huge hammer. I've never seen those little buggers before and they like to party outside my front door. All my outside lightsare motion sensor, but I think they're attracted to the cool stucco overhang that's over my front door.

They're pretty resilient and if one gets in the house you can hear it buzzing and crashing into things.

As luck would have it I have about 12 rose bushes and trees that get mildew spots. Last year I had really good luck with mixing a concentrate fungicide/pesticide/fertilizer into a 2 gallon sprayer. I waited until the evening and sprayed the roses until the leaves were dripping. The stuff smells pretty nasty. After a couple treatmnts the spots went away and the leaves seemed to darken.

This year with those nasty June bugs around I mixed the same stuff and sprayed the majority of my lawn. After a couple of days I sprayed the same insecticide that I normally spray around my house. I didn't water for the next couple of days, then watered like heck to get the chemicals in. Wow! In a week the two large brown patches of dead grass (about 2x2') have been greatly reduced, the "good" areas look better, and the best part is there's no more June bugs! So I guess there are lots of insects (child and adult) that the lawn harbors.

I usually buy the gallon insecticides that are on sale at HomeDepot or WalMart for around ~$6. A gallon will last me about 3 applications and I space them about a month apart in the summer. The outside of my house is stucco. I spray a full strength insecticide through my garden sprayer. I lay a barrier all the way around my house, around windows and doors, and especially around the garbage cans outside.

However I still find black widows that hide in nooks and crannies (such as the corner of the garage door). I've gone as far to wait until late at night and spray them directly. Once they feel the liquid hit them they usually run into their hiding holes and I don't see them for a couple of days, but they usually come back. Does anybody know of a home remedy, or a particular brand that is effective agains black widows??

My battle plan has worked well at keeping the pests out of the house, but I don't like being outside the house, especially at night because I'm afriad a black widow is going to bite. I don't have a full blown phobia, but I've had lots of black widows fall out of cars or fruit trees and land on my arm or chest. Even thinking about those episodes gives me the willys.

Quote:
I don't have a full blown phobia
Hmmm,you don't read your own posts ,do you?
24.gif

You may have to resot to a commercial company that is allowed to use chemicals that may not be sold to individuals under existing law.

Originally Posted By: Truckedup
Quote:
I don't have a full blown phobia
Hmmm,you don't read your own posts ,do you?
24.gif

lol.gif
Don't confuse apparent preoccupation or apparent obsession with irrational phobic oriented anxiety. He could merely be OCD and the bugs intrude into his idea of perfect.
grin2.gif

Coping with insect infestation is more challenging now. It's a shame Diazinon and Dursban patents expired. The replacement agents suck.

I've never seen a bug make it far after being sprayed by store-bought bug-specific bug/yard spray. Get the right stuff if you're serious about getting rid of something. Know your enemy, find your enemy, kill your enemy.

There are some effective sprays. They don't appear (at least from my experience) have much in terms of residual potency. I got some junk that's allegedly 365 day whatever. Legions of marching tiny ants bathed in the stuff ..next day ..same raiding hordes crossing the side walk.

Found some leftover Diazinon-Dursban mix (probably over a decade old). 3oz poured on the patch that they were coming out of ...no more ants.

Seven still seems to handle a decent number of the pests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back