Innova 3140 OBDI&II Scan Tool - Problem with OBDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Innova 3140 OBDI&II scan tool which works fine for OBDII scanning. It reads error codes just fine, clears them, etc... It comes with OBDI connectors for Toyota/Lexus, GM, Ford and Chrysler. Which brings me to my problem... I have a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 3.1L. I hooked up the scanner to it, it saw that a vehicle was attached and asked me for some information regarding the VIN. I entered the information, the scanner accepted the VIN info, said "link Initialized... ok" Then waited several seconds before erroring with "The vehicle stopped responding." No matter what I do, I always get that error.

The same thing happens when using it on my 1995 Lexus SC300 (OBD I) and using the OBDI port on my 2000 Lexus GS300 (The GS is OBDII, but Lexus also retains the OBDI port and diagnostics on many of their vehicles.)

There is a 25-pin cable that connects the manufacturer-specific connectors to the scan tool. I thought maybe it was that cable, but I tried a different 25-pin cable (I'm assuming it's a straight-through cable) and I got exactly the same result. It sees that something is attached, but when it attempts to connect it errors out saying the vehicle has stopped responding.

Does anyone have experience or information dealing with this type of error?

Edit: The scan tool and documentation give you the steps to be taken to read codes, get live data, etc... I have followed those instructions. Vehicle on, accessories off, transmission in neutral (why in the world it would want that, who knows), etc.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I checked in the owner's manual of your tool. On page 88 it states that it will work only on some GM models for 94-95 and your Pontiac is not one of them.

Sorry to hear.

If you need the manual, here:

http://equus.com/Content/Support/Manual/3140_en.pdf

Yes, I read that too. And i'm willing to accept that I can't use it for the Grand Prix even though there are other forums with people saying they have used it on their 1995 Grand Prix 3.1L, and that the scan tool does have the VIN information for my car. But what of the Lexus SC300?

Hum.. I just read the Lexus section, 1995 SC300 is not listed, and yet 1994 and before is listed. But the 1995 Toyota Supra (which is the same engine and engine computer) is listed. What the heck is going on here???? I'm totally confused now. Anyone know why these cars are excluded? It's amazing to believe that both of my cars would be excluded from this tool, which scans cars just like it just fine.

Well, 1995 was a transition year for many autos. 1996+ all cars are OBD2. Car makers started slowly implementing OBD2 as early as 1994. For example, my 1994 Corvette is OBD1 and OBD2. The OBD2 is extremely limited, yet does have the 16pin ALDL connector Same thing with the 1994 Buick Park Ave's. So - Lexus probably made some changes in 1995 that does not allow your tool to work.

That really sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back