Info and review on new 2005 Chevy Colorado truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I traded in my 2003 regular cab Silverado for a crew cab Colorado as we needed that extra room. I got the Colorado because a extended cab full size would not fit in the garrage and also get the door down.

So far in the 1 month I have owned it it has been trouble free. It is very solid and rattle free. The doors feel really nice when opening and closing and the tail gate is solid and smooth. Seats are much firmer then the Silverado's and have more support(good/bad? I feel the Silverado was more comfortable) and the cloth used is of a more durable meterial. The ride is smooth but still firm and truck like. Power windows are extreemly fast and even in speed of each other. All other interior buttons and switches are nice feeling and smooth.
Head lights are the best of any car or truck I have used and are extreemly bright and have a very long range. The CD player is MP3 capible and the speakers produce loud and clear music. The turn single niose sounds unlike anything I have ever heard and it hard to describe...sounds kind of like when you pop your finger out of your mounth and is a "fun" type of sound and is the 1st thing people notice.
Interior space in awesome and has as much leg room as the Silverado(almost). Back seats have ample room but not as good as a mid to full size sedan(I'm 6 foot). Head room is generous as well.

The engine(3.5 I5) is the smoothest I have seen and is extreemly quiet with no infamous "GM piston slap"!!!! It does wiggle side to side a bit when shutting it off like a V6/V8 would do. Power is very good through the 8,000 RPM range( Very high for a GM engine???) and pulls hardest from about 3,000-5,000 RPM. Off the line it is slower then my 5.3 was and does not have the power to pass at high speeds like 5.3 did but it is by no means a "slow truck". I raced my buddy's 4.0 Ranger ext. cab and we were dead even to 5omph and the Colorado started to pull a little on the Ranger from there.
The oil capasity is 6 qts which was more then I thought a 3.5 liter engine would have which is a good thing! Both differentials are 75w90 syn gear oil. I believe the transmissin is the aging 4l60E which if taken care of will last 200,000 miles. This is the 1st GM vehical that reccomends 0w30 engine oil that I know of. You can use 5w30 and 0w30 oils and it mentions nothing about 10w30. I'll be trying GC 0w30 or M1 5w30 in this engine. Also it has low friction ball joints and tire rods that are maintenance free and sealed. I like that as I HATED to grease my Silverado as it was always a big mess.
Z71 package has about the sam ground clearance as the Z71 Silverado did and has severall skid plates. Push button 4x4 only and not manuel option fot it. My most major complant and it is a big deal to me was there is no oil pressure guage, just a idiot light! So I can't tell the oil pressure at a given time! Also there is a lot of plastic used in the interior but it feels thicker or more solid then the plastic used in the Silverado and is of much different texture. Still with all the plastic the fit and tightness is great and the truck has no squeks or rattles at all! I hope it stays that way. Time will tell how everything holds up in these new trucks....looks promissing!

That is about all I can think of now and overall I feel that this one of the best trucks I've seen in a while and so far has been a good solid truck. I'll let you know how it pulls a 3,000lb traler as soon as I get to it. Questions/comments welcome!

[ August 24, 2004, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Chris B. ]

Chris thanks for your review. As you know, I'm looking into buying a truck. I was going to buy the Ram or Tacoma. Havn't made up my mind yet but you have me thinking now about the Colorado. I'd get the Z71 package. Question, what did you pay or what price range am I looking at? GM is giving huge incentives right now.

Sticker was $28,030 but the acctuall dealer price was $26,000. They had several discounts like cash off, military incentive, loyality discount and GMAC finace discont. With all that it wasjust over $20,000 out the doo with free step bars and mud flaps!
wink.gif

I payed $50.00 for a full tank of gas in my Silverado and now pay $30.00 for a full tank in the Colorado.

Also the frame is 250% stiffer the the S10's which helps cut down on rattles and smooths out the ride bu quiet a bit even with the Z71 package.

With the incentives close to 4g's it brought it down to 22,000. We have bought over 1/2 dozzen cars from this dealer over time and we also bought a 2004 Malibu at the same time so they shaved off another 2,000 from the deal which we took off the Colorado to get the payments lower as the Malibu was already alot less then the Colorado. My Mother will be driving the Malibu and my wife loves her LS1 so we kept that!

We did get a good deal but had to put out more money in the long run to get that. In general I would expect to pay 2-3000 below sticker as no one pays that these days. Then look at getting at least 2000 in incentives. So that $28,000 vehical should be 23-24g's.

Buster my buddy talked a Dodge dealer out of a 2004 Ram HEMI for something like 18,000 and payments just over 300 a month!!! He is a hard baller and can really deal so there are deals to be had just keep your eyes open and be ready to deal!

[ August 25, 2004, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Chris B. ]

I heard you cant hook a Snowplow to the front of the new Colorado/Canyons because they are more car-based rather than a full frame like a Full Size truck? Any truth to that?

Eric

quote:

Originally posted by Jackpot01:
I heard you cant hook a Snowplow to the front of the new Colorado/Canyons because they are more car-based rather than a full frame like a Full Size truck? Any truth to that?

Eric

You can push snow with them, but most dealers wont honor the whopping 3yr/36K warranty if you do so.
frown.gif

G/luck
Joel

They have a full frame and is 250% stiffer then the S10 frame it replaces.

The Colorado has a higher payload rating then the S10 but lower towing rating. The lower tow rating has nothing to do with power train strength but has to do with emissions ratings stuff to comply with all 50 states. It even says in the buyers catolog that you can pull over 5,000lbs if properly equiped.

Saw an ad for a new extended cab Colorado 2WD pickup for under $13,000 in the paper the other day (Tom Peden Chevrolet in Ripley, WV). It had the 4 cyl. with 5 speed manual tranny, but still that was a good price. Where I live in Richmond, VA the dealers won't come near that price. Full size pickups are another story. The local Dodge dealer has a new Dodge regular cab for under 13,000. I guess if you shop around you can get a good deal. BTW I think you got a really good deal for all the options you got.
cheers.gif

Bumping to the top...

Chris... do you still like the Colorado? HAs anyone else heard anything good/bad about these trucks and thier I5 engines?

So what does everyone think of the Colarado Crew Cab, as compared to the Explorer Sport Trac?

Has anyone owned / driven both? Which did you like better?

Ok sorry I'm posting back so late!

I do not own the Colorado anymore because I got tired of high payments for the most part. I now no longer have a payment and it is really nice!
grin.gif
The 2005 models had a big problem with their CD players which were totaly new for 2005. The Problem was that the CD was/is another computer and it controlls a lot of other funtions. When I would play a CD it would play ok but when I would try to turn it off or shut the whole truck down the CD player would not shut off. It would turn itself on and off and on and off rappidly 4 or 5 times like it was studdering before it would stay off. This was very anoying!!! The dealer tried to fix it and replaced the raido 3 times and tried to reboot the software for it but nothing worked! They told me it was normal and said to live with it!!!!
mad.gif

Well a couple weeks later I get a call from GM's quality controll manager for the Colorado/Canyon division. She asked me what the problem was and any details I could give her about it. She said She/GM was getting tons of complaints about the CD problem I mentioned above. I gave her a lot of good info. She called me back a week later and asked if I would talk with the engineers that designed the CD player. (This part really impressed me!) I asked if she ment over the phone and she said no that GM would fly the engineers to my dealer as they really wanted to fix the problem for me and everyother Colorado/Canyon owner.
So I agreed to meet them and show them(3 engineers total) what the damm truck was doing. I'll tell ya these guys know their stuff compaired to the Techs an the dealer that tried for several weeks to figuer it out! The Engineers hooked up their laptops into the trucks computer and CD/raido and I got the truck to act up and the CD player studdered great for them so they now know I'm not crazy!! Right away they know what the problem after fooling with it for a few minutes.
They said it was a problem with the whole software program that is writen for the truck to funtion properly. They siad it was a problem that was writen it the program and was not caught before production. To fix it they would have to find that part of the software and rewrite it and down load it into every truck as it effects EVERY 2005 truck with that model radio/computer.

They thanked me for my time and offered to pay me which was nice I thought! They said they would rewrite the software and distribut it to all the dealers so they can down load it so Colorado/Canyon owners will have a properly working radio/CD player!

That was the only problem I had in the 4 months I owned it and I got rid of it before GM had the fix ready. Sorry for the sloppy reply I'm to short on time to proof read!

One more quick thing! If GM would just keep the radio/CD player for music and not try to make it another computer and just let it play songs and leaver the computer for computing they would not have this problem! Just leave the damm radio a radio!!!!!!!!
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back