In the market for a pontoon boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are looking for a pontoon boat to use on a small man-made lake. The lake has a horsepower limit if 25, so we've started to look for used boats in that range. I know a lot about cars, but very little about boats. What brands of motors are the best? Besides noise and smoke, are there any pluses and minuses between four and two strokes? I know deck condition is a big factor, and the pontoons as well looking for damage and dents and rotten, soft floors. Is there anything else we should be looking at? I would assume a test drive is mandatory to check all the functions. A lot of them are out of the water but I wouldn't want to buy one without running it on the water. Any advice would be appreciated!

A lot of the reliability concerns that plague outboards aren't an issue on engines that small. Any Evinrude/Mercury/Johnson/Yamaha/suzuki/Honda should be fine. It might be more important to find a marina/shop you like than the brand. Johnson/Evinrude no longer make outboards that small since BRP bought them out, if that matters.

You don't mention budget, but even though I loathe small four cycle outboards they are quieter which might be important to you. A two cycle would be lighter and more powerful. It might be difficult to find a pontoon with a motor that small, to be honest people like to put larger motors than are really necessary for whatever reason.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
A lot of the reliability concerns that plague outboards aren't an issue on engines that small. Any Evinrude/Mercury/Johnson/Yamaha/suzuki/Honda should be fine. It might be more important to find a marina/shop you like than the brand. Johnson/Evinrude no longer make outboards that small since BRP bought them out, if that matters.

You don't mention budget, but even though I loathe small four cycle outboards they are quieter which might be important to you. A two cycle would be lighter and more powerful. It might be difficult to find a pontoon with a motor that small, to be honest people like to put larger motors than are really necessary for whatever reason.

Best of luck.

I think the most we want to spend is around $10K. There seem to be a lot around here that are 25 hp because of some of the smaller lake power limitations.

We used to run a fleet of jonboats for rowing practice, and the nissan two stroke engines always seemed the best.

We had a Honda 4-stroke that Im sure was nice, but was REALLY heavy and actually broke a boat.

Depends on the use I guess...Swimming, fishing, tubing, beer... gonna be trailering or docking??
use your judgement and know that any motor problems you run into can be taken care of quickly here on this board.
Market should be flooded with toons for you... avoid dealers to get best bang for the buck... Also a boat with a bigger motor can always be repowered with a 25hp...
go new, find a nice pontoon you like and try and buy it unrigged... just boat and trailer... then get the motor you like from someplace else... batteries are alot cheaper other places too... Rig it yourself at home... great way to save $$ and get a newer rig...
last idea... If its a small lake and you plan on not tubing... go all electric... check out Minn kota electric outboards... cool idea i've been kicking around.

Bass Pro Shops have a new 18' "Party Bardge" with a 25 HP for $13,000.

Go to http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BPSIFrameView?catalogId=10051&tab=3&langId=-1&storeId=10151&targeturl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.trackermarine.com%2F&ddkey=http:AjaxBPSTypeAheadSearchCmd

and click on "Motors" for the options like the 25 HP.

These are good boats and I know a lot of people on our lake that have Party Bardges.

They have two Bass Pro stores in Ohio. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores...Id=-1&tab=3

Bass Pro has great financing if that's what you want.

Keep in mind that you must add freight, prep, and trailer to the Tracker pontoons. It is plainly stated but many folks miss it entirely.

Quote:
Johnson/Evinrude no longer make outboards that small since BRP bought them out, if that matters.

That is simply not correct. They make engines all the way down to 3.5HP just like any other maker.

They sell smaller engines with their name on them. The 4.0 horse Johnson that I was looking at was a Suzuki with Johnson paint and decals.

The same is true of Mercury. Their lower 25(?) or less are made by Tohatsu.

Fine motors all.

Ed

I found this. It's from 2006, but as far as I can tell is correct for today.
Quote:
Drive Manufacturer

Who Actually Builds the Drives
Bombardier/OMC
Johnson and Evinrude

Under both builders, from the powerhead down, the major differences in Johnson and Evinrude are the cowls and paint color.

Until 2006, Suzuki manufactured the Johnson four strokes up to 225 HP.

For 2006 Suzuki only makes the Johnson four strokes up through 30 HP, Evinrude produces direct injected two strokes (E-Tec) 40 HP and above.

Nissan

Nissan outboards are built by Tohatsu

Honda

Long ago, some Honda three cylinder powerheads were mounted on Mercury drive legs and props. For the last several years, Honda has built its full line of outboards.

Mercury Marine

2006 model Mercury four strokes from 2.5 through 30 HP are built by Tohatsu.

Before Yamaha entered the U.S. market, Mercury's Mariner line was built by Yamaha.

Last year (2005), Mercury four stroke powerheads from 25 through 225 HP (except the Verados) were built by Yamaha. Several of those models used Mercury drive legs, electronics and EFI systems (replacing carbs Yamaha used in similar sized engines).

In 2006 models, Mercury four stroke powerheads from 40 to 225 HP (except the Verados) are built by Yamaha.

Mercury's agreement with Yamaha ended in March 2006, at which time Mercury is expected to phase in more four cylinders (75 to 115 HP) based on the Verado engine block, but without supercharging or intercooling.

Ed

Thanks for all the advice guys. We're just going to use it for cruising, swimming, and maybe some tubing (slowly of course). I suppose most engines are good and I won't rule out a 2-stroke. I guess the less hours on the motors (and age) the better. I'll check the deck integrity and look for pontoon rust/holes.

I'm aware of who makes engines for various brands but this statement "Johnson/Evinrude no longer make outboards that small since BRP bought them out, if that matters" made it appear that no small engines were available from this maker at all.

I got caught by the thread title; thought it said 'poontang'

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I'm aware of who makes engines for various brands but this statement "Johnson/Evinrude no longer make outboards that small since BRP bought them out, if that matters" made it appear that no small engines were available from this maker at all.

How about a Poontang boat with real big Johnson motors in it?
lol.gif

I would look for used from a private seller but the small engine size may be a problem. That way all the extras will most likely come with the boat. When you add up all the safety gear, lines, anchors, depth finder, etc. it can be quite a shocker to buy separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back