In 1983 Toyota experimented with VVTI ,Coil on Plug and VCM.

Excerpts from a document from 1984. I show here the article about the experimental engine shown in the 1983 Tokyo motor show.
They took a standard 1G GEU inline 6 engine and added two turbos, air to air intercooler . What caught my attention was the new tech they were predicting, like variable cylinder activation, coil on plug ignition and VVTI.
These later became mainstream in the mid 90's.

1698897502944.jpg

1698897539049.jpg

Excerpts from a document from 1984. I show here the article about the experimental engine shown in the 1983 Tokyo motor show.
They took a standard 1G GEU inline 6 engine and added two turbos, air to air intercooler . What caught my attention was the new tech they were predicting, like variable cylinder activation, coil on plug ignition and VVTI.
These later became mainstream in the mid 90's.

View attachment 186337
View attachment 186338
Excellent article! It's almost as if Toyota actually has people with forward/future thinking.. Just as they said EV's were not ready at this current point in history, proven correct.. and.. they're working on ICE (internal combustion engines) that run on fuels other than gas, such as ammonia and hydrogen.. something that could result in almost zero emissions.. I keep saying it, cannot ignore Toyota and call them "slow".. I think they like to bring something to market that is viable.. dang.. there I go again sounding like a cheerleader for Toyota..

I think it's because I like listening to the dreamer in the engineering class, fascinated at what they'll think of next!:geek:

I know we're not talking injection but my 1980 Audi CIS was actually great in CO and had the primary benefits of EFI: unaffected by ambient temps (aside from air density of course) and altitude.

Again I think GM was injecting some Caddys in the very early '80s? And some were front drive?

Did Toyota introduce EFI here prior to the '85 22RE?

Things gotta start somewhere. They also designed the ecvt and hybrid prototype in the late 80's. Bluetooth was also invented in the late 80's.
Victor Wouk Developed a Hybrid Car in ‘70s
CLICK HERE

The first hybrid car was built around 1899 by Ferdinand Porsche. Called the System Lohner-Porsche Mixte, it used a gasoline engine to supply power to an electric motor that drove the car's front wheels.

Reactions: D60
Victor Wouk Developed a Hybrid Car in ‘70s
CLICK HERE

The first hybrid car was built around 1899 by Ferdinand Porsche. Called the System Lohner-Porsche Mixte, it used a gasoline engine to supply power to an electric motor that drove the car's front wheels.
When did the locomotive industry employ similar?

First GM car you could buy with EFI was in 1975. It came on an all aluminum 4 valve per cylinder DOHC 2 liter engine. Too bad there was no vvt back then. Instead GM choked the engine by lowering its compression and camming it for better low end torque and emissions. They strapped it with emission control systems of the day and the engine, which had made around 200 horsepower pre-production, was released in the Vega with a sad 110 horsepower rating.

First GM car you could buy with EFI was in 1975. It came on an all aluminum 4 valve per cylinder DOHC 2 liter engine. Too bad there was no vvt back then. Instead GM choked the engine by lowering its compression and camming it for better low end torque and emissions. They strapped it with emission control systems of the day and the engine, which had made around 200 horsepower pre-production, was released in the Vega with a sad 110 horsepower rating.
What's also amazing is that Mr Honda offered their CVCC technology to GM. Since GM said none of their cars would meet the new emission requirements.. But when Honda offered it to GM, arrogant GM told Honda to go pound sand, they were GM, they knew everything. So the story goes, Mr Honda shipped by air, a GM car to Japan, outfitted it with Honda's tech to show that GM's car COULD pass the new EPA emission laws.. Then had a press conference to rub GM's face in it.. lol.. Too funny! But the stuff the Big 3 american automakers did back then choking engine performance with emissions when other companies had no problem meeting the requirements really makes ya wonder who's making the decisions!

But it's awesome to see the stuff Toyota showcased back in the 80s that's common today.

It’s been a while - but Honda got snubbed from a different angle in the 80s also. If memory serves, they actually had a carburetor tech that was capable of basically doubling the effective MPG for vehicles back then. i recall reading numbers that were over 60mpg in the typical small, 2000 lb econobox. it was denied for use because the emissions were high per volume of exhaust. The irony was that since it put out so much less exhaust per mile, it was still a gain, but the rulemakers weren’t looking at emissions per mile, they were looking at emissions per volume.

GM had a Rochester MFI option that predated that.

What's also amazing is that Mr Honda offered their CVCC technology to GM. Since GM said none of their cars would meet the new emission requirements.. But when Honda offered it to GM, arrogant GM told Honda to go pound sand, they were GM, they knew everything. So the story goes, Mr Honda shipped by air, a GM car to Japan, outfitted it with Honda's tech to show that GM's car COULD pass the new EPA emission laws.. Then had a press conference to rub GM's face in it.. lol.. Too funny! But the stuff the Big 3 american automakers did back then choking engine performance with emissions when other companies had no problem meeting the requirements really makes ya wonder who's making the decisions!

But it's awesome to see the stuff Toyota showcased back in the 80s that's common today.
Only a few vehicles could meet the strict regulations. It took microprocessors and better catalyst technology to really start seeing a huge reduction in vehicle emissions.

Chrysler offered fuel injection in 1958 as an option on certain models !
believe it was short lived.

Chrysler offered fuel injection in 1958 as an option on certain models !
believe it was short lived.
Wow how crazy never knew that. Mechanical fuel injection? I know the first direct-injected vehicle was the Mercedes Benz gullwing.

It's materials and technology catching up- the ideas were there.....Look at WW2 turbo/supercharger, meth injection, tech then into the 60's with Old's quad cammed engineering example engines, 60's GM all alum v8's with turbo's, lot's of examples.

Back