Impact driver for auto work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Trav
The low torque is exactly the reason I use it, I want to finish tighten bolts by hand. I tried cordless ratchets over the years and find them more of less useless, the M12 Fuel is really a joke.

Ive got a variety of Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch and DeWalt tools. Since I'm not on remote job sites or whatnot, the only inconvenience is more than one charger.

I'm not sure m12 fuel is a joke. I have the same cordless ratchet as Astro - have used it for quite a bit, similar to the uses you mention with your old 29ft lb Makita. For as much as I love and am an advocate for wrenching with 1/4 drive, mine is a 3/8". It won't impact out bolts, but an m12 fuel impact gun will do 250 ft lbs in stubby type, and will remove most lugs. It's low torque setting allow gentle work, and I'm pretty happy. Have had some of the batteries for close to 10 years now...

Originally Posted by Astro14
[Linked Image]

Here's how I solved the anvil size issue...

I admit that the Makita is a more elegant solution.

That Makita is slick, though I'd probably lose one of the heads.

Do you really find two M12 ratchets that useful? I love wrenching with 1/4", use it as much as I can just because it's smaller and lighter. But these electric tools are always governed by big bodies and batteries, and the m12 iirc, has the same size body regardless of 1/4 and 3/8. Unlike hand tools, the mass is governed by the body and battery, so the socket mass different is minuscule.

Would you buy both again?

Originally Posted by JHZR2
The low torque is exactly the reason I use it, I want to finish tighten bolts by hand. I tried cordless ratchets over the years and find them more of less useless, the M12 Fuel is really a joke.

Ive got a variety of Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch and DeWalt tools. Since I'm not on remote job sites or whatnot, the only inconvenience is more than one charger.

I'm not sure m12 fuel is a joke. I have the same cordless ratchet as Astro - have used it for quite a bit, similar to the uses you mention with your old 29ft lb Makita. For as much as I love and am an advocate for wrenching with 1/4 drive, mine is a 3/8". It won't impact out bolts, but an m12 fuel impact gun will do 250 ft lbs in stubby type, and will remove most lugs. It's low torque setting allow gentle work, and I'm pretty happy. Have had some of the batteries for close to 10 years now...

The head on the fuel is huge, way too big to get into places I normally need to get into, the size on the M12 head like the one Astro posted is much better suited for automotive work IMO.
A lot depends on the stuff you work on, as Cline said he like it for certain jobs but I don't generally work on the same type of vehicles, most of the stuff I work on below the top of the engine space is very limited, long 1/4" drive work well as do small head 3/8, no way are you getting an air or cordless ratchet in most of these places.

The Makita while interesting is never getting where I need get at 13" long. I have a few powered ratchets that have become box queens and my least used tools, I don't even reach for them anymore, the 1/4" or 3/8 driver (same driver different head) is many times faster than a powered ratchet and the speed is variable so that's what I use on bolts that are in the valve covers, pans and filter boxes.
This AM for example I have to do a starter, I know I need a E14 chrome socket 3/8 drive (the more common 1/2" drive E impact socket wont fit) a 6" and 1" extension and a small head 3/8 long flex ratchet to get the top bolt, the space is so tight no powered tool will fit in the space. This is a common daily occurrence with similar jobs and fasteners.

I was on the Snap-on truck today.....He had some wobble E-Torx sockets with built-in extensions, I thought to myself......Trav could probably use those
laugh.gif

I have a 7 year old 18 volt makita impact ratchet that uses the 1/4" hex adapters. Pretty much a box queen because it's just too big with the hex driver on the head. Those new ones look like may be a game changer for me. Christmas is coming.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clinebarger
I was on the Snap-on truck today.....He had some wobble E-Torx sockets with built-in extensions, I thought to myself......Trav could probably use those
laugh.gif

Those I have to have!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by 1foxracing
Here's a option some of you might find useful, Makita just released a 12V cordless ratchet that features 1/4 & 3/8 interchangeable anvils. It has 35ft/lbs and the biggest advantage over all the others is it's 800RPM. I just got mine 2 days ago so no real "in use" review yet.

Where did you buy it please?

Originally Posted by clinebarger
laugh.gif

Those I have to have!
lol.gif

I'd be afraid of rounding something if it has any amount of torque to it. Biggest torx I've used was a T55 (I think) on her Volvo's exhaust VVT hub. That was tight.

It would be handy for a T25 or similar though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Y_K
Originally Posted by 1foxracing
Here's a option some of you might find useful, Makita just released a 12V cordless ratchet that features 1/4 & 3/8 interchangeable anvils. It has 35ft/lbs and the biggest advantage over all the others is it's 800RPM. I just got mine 2 days ago so no real "in use" review yet.

Where did you buy it please?

Purchased from Beach Audio through Google Express. It was my first purchase on Google Express and they were offering $20 off from your first order.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/5403534721044560982?q=Makita+RW01R1+12V+Max+CXT+Lithium&safe=off&sxsrf=ACYBGNR_Sbob6OymfEi6ud_2xON-HD49Dw:1569712380162&biw=1242&bih=568&prds=epd:11082821317545724157,oid:11082821317545724157,prmr:3&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimy6mu0vTkAhWIHjQIHfLyBCUQ1sEDCDc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back