I’m tired of manual transmission

See, this I just can't figure. Somehow I've made it all these years and have had plenty of excellent automatics AND manuals, and some clunky examples of each also. Soul still intact.
It’s kinda like how I’d rather cook a good meal myself than have skipthedishes deliver one. At the end of the evening I’m full in both scenarios but the customization and being dialled right into the process floats my boat.

After driving semis in traffic, double clutching and rev matching my way through 13 or 18 speeds
The very reason I will never own another manual transmission car or truck. After driving class eight trucks for 50 years, you couldn’t give me a manual! I still have nightmares of being in stop and go traffic on mountain grades and having to feather the clutch every 30 feet to get 80,000 lbs to roll another 30 feet, only to stop and repeat every 30 seconds and trying to rest my trembling left leg while trying to keep from jumping onto the trunk of the sedan in front of me or rolling back and crushing the mini van behind me! My old worn out left knee agrees!

I miss mine and wish I had another. Makes a fine DD where I live as I don't spend any time in traffic. Great in the snow too being able to start in 2nd.

I prefer a stick but drive my wife’s RDX ASpec and the 10spd w/paddle shifters might change your mind.

I used to drive the Legend 130 miles every day thru four of the worst commute traffic corridors in the Bay Area. Early on, observing the tractor trailers in this congestion, the light bulb came on - put the transmisson in 2nd gear and let the engine idle you along. Eliminates a lot of clutch (and brake) work.

I used to drive the Legend 130 miles every day thru four of the worst commute traffic corridors in the Bay Area. Early on, observing the tractor trailers in this congestion, the light bulb came on - put the transmisson in 2nd gear and let the engine idle you along. Eliminates a lot of clutch (and brake) work.
I'm sure@gman2304 used every work-around measure he could to reduce the clutch-work...🙂.

Last edited:
I drive BMW as DD, and it is manual.
But, that is OK in Colorado Springs, and the fact I do not have 9-5 job so not stuck in traffic.
If I had to navigate traffic in a more urban area, I would probably use Atlas on a more regular basis.

The very reason I will never own another manual transmission car or truck. After driving class eight trucks for 50 years, you couldn’t give me a manual! I still have nightmares of being in stop and go traffic on mountain grades and having to feather the clutch every 30 feet to get 80,000 lbs to roll another 30 feet, only to stop and repeat every 30 seconds and trying to rest my trembling left leg while trying to keep from jumping onto the trunk of the sedan in front of me or rolling back and crushing the mini van behind me! My old worn out left knee agrees!
80,000 lbs may sound like a lot, but one rail car weighs 286,000.

I prefer a manual. My Mustang (in avatar pic) and my DD 16 Impreza are both manual. My commute is 65 miles, all interstate. Get on 5 mi from home, drive 58 miles, get off exit at work. On the days where construction or other nonsense happens, I kind of wish I had an automatic, but I prefer the engagement with my car.

Mike B

PS: the worst part is that noone else in the household can drive/move my cars in the driveway when needed, which on the other hand is actually a good thing with my Mustang. ;)

I enjoyed manual transmissions for years but I'm content to shift my autos now.

According to the latest statistics I have seen, approximately 96% of new cars purchased have some type of automatic transmission. Betcha it is now higher than 96%.

Maybe some of those new car buyers would have purchased a manual transmission vehicle if they could have found one available that they wanted, but most new cars models today do not have a manual transmission option available.

Same here. I do like driving manuals but get tired very quickly. For the real world, automatic wins. I am selling all my manuals.

Back