I'm stumped ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is the point here... If the US tomorrow somehow fully banned firearms I bet stabbings would be on the rise. Right now roughly 64% of US homicides are from a firearm. Compared to 4.5% in UK. A big difference is how many people can you take out at once with a knife? Not as many as an AR-15 they'll sell to any 18 year old.

By most measures the US has a firearm problem. Remember, land of the "free"

Its alot easier and less personal to pull a trigger than stab someone or beat them with a tree branch. There are many factors in London being more dangerous than NYC. You are trying to state that because guns are not legal they are not as safe. You need to understand the political differences between the UK and America, both very different landscapes. Blaming it on one single factor is not reasonable. I do agree that people kill people. However, how would you explain that percentage of homicides is much lower in Canada than the USA? (Percentage, taking into account the much smaller population). You can certainly kill someone with anything but its alot easier and less personal with a gun. (I am not pro gun or anti gun in my views, somewhere in the middle). I just think this topic has been beaten like a dead horse. Everyones opinion on the subject can be valid no matter which side they pick.

Very different immigration policies have a huge impact here as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Isn't this post political?

3 EPA threads locked and a moderator posts something about gun control...

I'm indifferent either way personally as politics don't bother me. Heck, I even agree with the OP. Just noting the double obvious standards.

Gun control... This is purely about common sense knife control. Those assault knives must be stopped. Assault trucks will be next.

I eat my cottage cheese with a bit of pepper and an assault spoon...

I B T L

12.gif

OP

You are a moderator and decided to start *this* topic?

Why do I get the feeling that if somebody else had started this topic, "you" would be the one to shut it down?

Am I mistaking you for somebody else?

We have a serious problem in this country with gun deaths. But let's not actually try to DO SOMETHING about it. Instead we'll just act like everything is all hunky-dory and divert attention elsewhere.

This thread reminds me of a little kid that gets caught doing something wrong by their parents and then goes and blabs "But little Timmy should get in trouble too!"

Any conservative talking point is welcome here, but don't try to go against the grain or the thread will get locked. What a joke.

That makes no sense, okay if every law abiding citizen turned in their weapons the criminals wont, they are not exactly law abiding.
Now what? Better close Home Depot and Lowes, people will improvise.

Yes - I started this; it's in introspective of how the human condition ignores facts and focuses on emotions.

Most of you whom know me realize I'm all about facts, data, proof. This isn't about "politics"; I am NOT IN ANY MANNER blaming either party, talking about socio-sub-groups, or advocating for policy one way or another. I would argue, however, there is a general sense of "good" and "evil" in the world; always has been. Murder is murder the way I see it. Murder, by criminal legal definition, is the intent of killing someone in an unjustified manner. It is no more or less murderous when any particular tools is used.
Did cro magnans blame the stone?
Did the Mayans blame the spear?
Did the Gentiles blame the sling?
Did the Aztecs blame the lance?
Did the Cherokee blame the arrow?
It only seems that very recently in history did blaming a particular object come into a popular position. Why? What changed that in the last several decades, that we've displaced blame from people to tools?

I find the story-line interesting and perplexing all at the same time; hence - I'm stumped.
It's up to the reader to decide how he/she interprets the story as well.

My initial post was sort of tongue-in-cheek; poking fun at the Brits via the Monty Phython analogy. It's OK - I know some Brits very well; they'll see the humor in it, even if others here do not.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Isn't this post political?

3 EPA threads locked and a moderator posts something about gun control...

I'm indifferent either way personally as politics don't bother me. Heck, I even agree with the OP. Just noting the double obvious standards.

And it's a very weird post too. New York actually has one of the most strict gun control laws in the country. The police used to stop and frisk people for guns all the time. So what's the point here? And in those knife attacks, you don't get 58 people killed and over 500 wounded like you did in Vegas which has some of the weakest in the country. So it's a stretch.

Not really into politics either, but I prefer the facts.

Oh and as for knife laws, MA also has some pretty strict ones too, but it doesn't outlaw knives, it just makes certain ones illegal to carry. I think in some other states, it's legal to open carry swords! I think Texas is one of those states.

I totally agree with you and this discussion. It should be possible to have this sort of conversation simply dealing with facts without getting personal or political.

Just to add. The point is that if people want to commit murders, either one on one or mass, they will find a way to do it!
I'm surprised, unless I missed it, that no one has tried poisoning the water supply, yet.

The thing is... this particular "tool" has a VERY distinct purpose. I agree that more deaths happen each year from smoking...and from auto accidents and the like. But there exists a "tool" that has a singular purpose... Thats kind of the issue as I see it.

Now, you can interpret that purpose a couple ways sure... defense (as I do), "sport" (which is arguable since that sport is practicing for its real intended use) and killing. Whether that's animals or people. But people acting like everything else you can kill people with is equal is funny at best, willfully ignorant at worst. Yes, I can take one person out with a 2x4. Not 30.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Yes - I started this; it's in introspective of how the human condition ignores facts and focuses on emotions.

Most of you whom know me realize I'm all about facts, data, proof. This isn't about "politics"; I am NOT IN ANY MANNER blaming either party, talking about socio-sub-groups, or advocating for policy one way or another. I would argue, however, there is a general sense of "good" and "evil" in the world; always has been. Murder is murder the way I see it. Murder, by criminal legal definition, is the intent of killing someone in an unjustified manner. It is no more or less murderous when any particular tools is used.
Did cro magnans blame the stone?
Did the Mayans blame the spear?
Did the Gentiles blame the sling?
Did the Aztecs blame the lance?
Did the Cherokee blame the arrow?
It only seems that very recently in history did blaming a particular object come into a popular position. Why? What changed that in the last several decades, that we've displaced blame from people to tools?

I find the story-line interesting and perplexing all at the same time; hence - I'm stumped.
It's up to the reader to decide how he/she interprets the story as well.

My initial post was sort of tongue-in-cheek; poking fun at the Brits via the Monty Phython analogy. It's OK - I know some Brits very well; they'll see the humor in it, even if others here do not.

All of those weapons you listed are not capable of killing dozens of people in minutes. This has only recently (as in, within the last 100 years) been an issue because only recently we had the technology to make such weapons.

NOBODY is trying to ban ALL guns, despite what the NRA and other gun-nuts would like you to believe. Just the military-grade ones that the average citizen has no business owning. Fully automatic guns are already essentially banned for civilians, and nobody seems to have a problem with that. Now I know that the AR-15 is not the super-dangerous annihilating machine the media makes it out to be, and I'm not so sure that it deserves to be banned. However, it unfortunately seems to be the weapon of choice for most of these school shootings, so people want to see them go away.

By tool … the AR’s? … some of us who stand behind the 2A don’t own them or desire any … but at the same time don’t trust that gun grabbers will ever stop grabbing … I just want to keep my pistols and shotguns that spend 98% of the time locked up in my home … so trust is part of the issue of a divided nation with the divisions fertilized daily by the press …

This thread, just like all the other similar ones should be locked and the originator given a vacation like everyone else. if you wish to be consistent that is.

If it gets reported which moderator receives the notification?

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Just the military-grade ones that the average citizen has no business owning.

You've gotta define that for me. Two of my guns are quite literally "Military Grade":

1. My CADEX CDX-33 in .338LM is currently used by numerous Special Forces groups
2. My Remington 700 5R Milspec is, for all intents and purposes, the same 700 in .308 used by various sniper groups for short to medium range

I also have a Derya MK12 semi-auto mag-fed 12 gauge that looks like a scary black "military-grade" gun, despite not actually being used for that purpose.

So is your use of the term "Military Grade" intended as a mechanism to conjure up fear here, regardless of the incredible amount of ambiguity associated with it? Because that's what I'm taking away from it
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back