I'm SAD! Broke a chain, destroyed Paul Derailleur

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Ti bicycle's best component was it's billet "Paul" "powerglide" rear dérailleur. It was a wonderful part, and worked perfectly for the last 15 years. Many 10's of thousands of miles on it. Still looked perfect.

Well, my chain broke, wrapped around the unit, and destroyed it. It cannot be repaired without the proper parts, and they are no longer available. I could make one in my machine shop, but I'm not sure it's worth the 100 hours it would take me to cobble one up.

Very sad day...

bike_resize02.jpg

Start collecting the parts from Ebay and Craigs list and bike shops around the country. I have been able find almost anything I need that way. Be patient as it may take you a year but it can be done.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
This wasn't related to this post was it?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2823181#Post2823181

Not at all. Really, it was my fault. I was trying to milk along a very old chain and cassette. I had intended on installing the new chain that morning, but ran out of time, and wanted to go ride. So, off I went. That was an expensive mistake...

I installed an old crummy dérailleur and new chain/cassette. Ugh. Terrible performance. I guess I'll have to find a Shimano XTR to match my front dérailleur.

And to make matters worse, it seems I need new bearings in my "race-face" bottom bracket too. Kind of gritchy feeling.

Great looking bike, sorry to hear about the derailleur.

Is your BB a X-type? I've had bad luck with the stock bearings, to many ball bearings. I greased both sides with a syringe as soon as I got them and within 400 miles they started growling. No apparent dirt ingestion.

I replaced them with Enduro's chromium steel bearings and unlike the stock Race Face bearings they actually had grease packed in there. Currently have 786 miles on them, so far so good, hope they last.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
That seat angle does not look comfortable!

Hahaha, It's really comfortable for an old man with no rear cushion remaining!

I'd be quite sad as well, having had one on my Merlin Mountain MANY years ago, and knowing what they cost, as well as the workmanship/quality built into them!
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Well, my chain broke, wrapped around the unit, and destroyed it. It cannot be repaired without the proper parts, and they are no longer available. I could make one in my machine shop, but I'm not sure it's worth the 100 hours it would take me to cobble one up.

Very sad day...

You have my sympathy on both counts - I've experienced derailleur breakage (a very nice short cage XT) and the drama involved in machining parts. Too bad.

This is turning out to be a problem.

My current setup is 8 speeds, with new chain and cassette, with a "SRAM" twister-shifter. But, I can't find a shop that sells quality 8 speed derailleurs anymore.

I tried an XT, 10 speed unit. Wrong pull ratio. Can't use it.

I tried an older, worn out, Acera-X derailleur unit. Horrible skipping.

The bike shop gave me an older 9 speed XT. No good either. Skips like crazy.

It looks like a grand to upgrade my wheel, cassette, chain, derailleur, and shifter... UGH. I HATE this forced upgrade.

People on E-bay want $750 for a lightly used 8 speed XTR derailleur, that would work properly. NO WAY I'm spending that kind of money on a used part, just to make my old setup work.

Very annoyed, maybe I'll convert to a "fixie". hahaha

First off, Shimano 10-speed "mountain" stuff uses a different pull ratio vs. their usual - meaning their Dyna-Sys 10-speed derailleurs can't be used with their road stuff or older mountain gear. Depending on how "tall" your cassette is, can't you use a long-cage 105 or Ultegra road derailleur?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
The picture posted doesn't show the damage well (or at all???)

The unit is seriously twistified and cracked. I considered repairing it, but it's really tweaked. Too much time to make new parts. If it had been one of the smaller parts, no problem. But it was not. It's really tweaked!

Notice the chain guide is not parallel with anything. Broken idler too. I did a great job on this one.

biken.jpg

Originally Posted By: nthach
First off, Shimano 10-speed "mountain" stuff uses a different pull ratio vs. their usual - meaning their Dyna-Sys 10-speed derailleurs can't be used with their road stuff or older mountain gear. Depending on how "tall" your cassette is, can't you use a long-cage 105 or Ultegra road derailleur?

No, I don't think I can. I have triple chain rings up front, and I don't believe a roadie unit will work for me.

Maybe the best choice is to go with a 10sp chain and cassette and 10 speed grip-shifter. I am also considering using a lever to adjust the ratio of the shifter cable to match the 10sp dérailleur.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
The picture posted doesn't show the damage well (or at all???)

The unit is seriously twistified and cracked. I considered repairing it, but it's really tweaked. Too much time to make new parts. If it had been one of the smaller parts, no problem. But it was not. It's really tweaked!

Notice the chain guide is not parallel with anything. Broken idler too. I did a great job on this one.

biken.jpg

That is like seeing pictures of people with compound fractures sticking through their skin.
frown.gif
37.gif

It looks like a grand to upgrade my wheel, cassette, chain, derailleur, and shifter... UGH. I HATE this forced upgrade.

You need to shop around some. And why would you have to modify your wheel? Shimano and compatibles are the same hub spline in 8-9-10 speeds. Unless you have a thread on style freehub casette, then yes you would have upgrade the hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back