I'm going to start using type F in my gm autos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like if I clip the baby blue wire going to the pressure control solenoid it'll send full line pressure to the shift solenoids

Poor man's shift kit

Originally Posted by Kira
Type F fluid is basic fluid with a texturing agent in it, correct?

This was because Ford units had clutch pack discs made of metal only. The fluid both grabbed and cushioned

GM and others used fiber covered clutch hardware, yes?

Am I correct?

You are very wrong

IIRC type F was a fix for a problematic transmission, with some good and not so good results. I'd track down the issue causing the problem if I planned on keeping the vehicle.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
IIRC type F was a fix for a problematic transmission, with some good and not so good results. I'd track down the issue causing the problem if I planned on keeping the vehicle.

The transmission shifts like new. The problem is I don't like the factory soft programming.

I hope the new camaro 10 speed shifts aggressively, not the slippy sloppy nonsense of the past.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by Kira
Type F fluid is basic fluid with a texturing agent in it, correct?

This was because Ford units had clutch pack discs made of metal only. The fluid both grabbed and cushioned

GM and others used fiber covered clutch hardware, yes?

Am I correct?

I'm not a tribologist, So not much help with the frictional properties of the fluid.

While Ford made some units with Bronze Friction Plates.......The "Cruise-O-Matic/FMX" for example. Even this is NOT a hard rule as I've seen some have bronze plates & some have composite lined plates or a mixture of the two.
Their later....more contemporary units (C4/C6) used composite friction plates but still called for Type F fluid.

With that being said, Before the AOD came along......Ford dialed-in "shift feel" by using multiple dished steels in the clutch packs that act as cushions.
GM & Chrysler used Accumulators & of coarse the ATF (Type A & Dexron) itself to control shift feel.

GM did use waved core composite Intermediate friction plates in TH400 & TH425 installed in Cadillac's & Oldsmobile's to provide a softer 1-2 shift.

As late as the 70's, it was a mix: my 1977 Cougar could have had a C4, C6, or FMX. The FMX called for Type F...the other two for Dexron/Mercon.

4L60E's do not have Shift Adapt's enabled in the calibration.....Thus the reason you NEVER see a P1811.

What is the pcs doing? If I unplug it will the shifts get harder?

Originally Posted by turtlevette
4L60E's do not have Shift Adapt's enabled in the calibration.....Thus the reason you NEVER see a P1811.

What is the pcs doing? If I unplug it will the shifts get harder?

The current flow through the PCS solenoid is varied based on Load & Throttle Position, Load is a calculation based on Barometric Pressure & Mass Air Flow inputs, TP is just a input from the TPS sensor. These Calibration Tables are FIXED......They do not vary or adapt!!

Yes....The shifts will get harder because unplugging the PCS will max-out Torque Signal pressure to the Boost Valve resulting in Maximum Regulated Line Pressure at all times. Really good way to KILL a pump not to mention hard part splines!

If you want more line pressure.....Run a Boost Valve with a larger Torque Signal reaction area & a stiffer Pressure Regulator Spring...... Sonnax part# 4L60E-LB1 has a .020" larger boost valve & a 10% over PR spring.

Another solution is to increase the PCS Pressure Offset/Multiplier Value in the calibration via tuning software.....This will firm up part throttle shifts BUT will not increase Maximum Regulated Pressure like a Boost Valve & PR Spring will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back