Illinois New Conceal Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
While this is NOT finalized...it will be. Quite comical, I reckon I will pass.

Details of SB2193

● Statewide shall-issue licensing standard;

● Strictly preempts authority of local governments to regulate firearms and ammunition;

● No special "endorsement" or permit required for licensee to carry in Chicago or Cook County;

● Grants licensee broad right to carry in a vehicle, including within a vehicle in the parking lot of a prohibited area;

● License to be issued by State Police;

● $150 Fee;

● 5-year license;

● 16 hours of training (Including Live Fire Exercise)

Up to 8 hours of training completed in another state can be counted toward this requirement. Renewal application requires 3 hours of training, plus re-qualification on the firing range.

● Carrying prohibited on public transportation, in State and local government buildings, schools, playgrounds, municipal parks, prisons, airports, nuclear facilities and in other areas defined in this legislation;

● Effective immediately; Applications to be available within 180 days;

● Allows law enforcement to object to an application on Basis of “clear and present danger to self or others, or threat to public safety,” which triggers review by Concealed Carry Licensing Board (created by this legislation);

● Denial of application by ISP is subject to administrative review, pursuant to the Illinois Administrative Review Law; final administrative decision is subject to judicial review;

● Denial of application by Concealed Carry Licensing Board is subject to judicial review;

● Application to be processed within 90 days (unless subject to review by Concealed Carry Licensing Board).

While applicants are not required to submit fingerprints, the State Police would be allowed an additional 30 days to process the application if the applicant does not submit a set of fingerprints.

Qualifications for Licensee

○ At least 21 years of age;

○ Has a currently valid FOID Card, or meets the requirements for the issuance of a FOID Card and is not prohibited by law from possessing or receiving a firearm;

○ Has not been convicted or found guilty in this State or in any other state of:

● a misdemeanor involving the use or threat of physical force or violence to any person within the 5 years preceding the date of the license application; or

● two or more DUI violations within the 5 years preceding the date of the license application; and

○ Is not the subject of a pending arrest warrant, prosecution, or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification to own or possess a firearm;

○ Has not been in residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the 5 years immediately preceding the date of the license application; and

○ Has completed firearms training and education component required by this legislation.

○ Fingerprints are optional, but ISP can take an additional 30 days to process application if no fingerprints are submitted.

Fees

New License: $150;

Renewal: $150;

Replace Lost or Stolen License, or Change of Address: $75;

Nonresident License: $300.

Last edited:
What's the comedy, you think the "clear and present danger" clause is going to be invoked often?

Prohibited Areas

○ Property under the control of an elementary or secondary school;

○ Property under the control of a pre-school or child care facility;

○ Property under the control of an officer of the executive or legislative branch of government (with exception for DNR-regulated areas where carrying firearms is allowed);

○ Courthouses;

○ Libraries;

○ Airports;

○ Gaming facilities;

○ Stadiums, arenas, sporting events;

○ Amusement parks;

○ Museums and zoos;

○ Buildings under the control of a unit of local government;

○ Property under the control of an adult or juvenile detention or correctional institution, prison, or jail;

○ Property under the control of a public or private hospital, mental health facility, or nursing home;

○ Public transportation (buses, trains, and stations);

○ Property under the control of an establishment that serves alcohol on its premises, if more than 50% of the establishment's gross receipts come from the sale of alcohol;

○ Any public gathering or special event conducted on property open to the public that requires the issuance of a permit from the unit of local government (with exception for a licensee who must walk through a public gathering in order to access his or her residence, place of business, or vehicle);

○ Any building or real property that has been issued a Special Event liquor license during the time designated for the sale of alcohol by the special event liquor license;

○ Public playgrounds;

○ Any public park, athletic area, or athletic facility under the control of a municipality or park district (with exception for licensee from carrying a concealed firearm while on a trail or bikeway if only a portion of the trail or bikeway includes a public park);

○ Any real property under the control of the Cook County Forest Preserve District;

○ Colleges and universities: Any building, classroom, laboratory, medical clinic, hospital, artistic venue, athletic venue, entertainment venue, officially recognized university-related organization property, and any real property, including parking areas, sidewalks, and common areas under control of a public or private community college, college, or university.

Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a public or private community college, college, or university from:

(1) prohibiting persons from carrying a firearm within a vehicle owned, leased, or controlled by the college or university;

(2) developing resolutions, regulations, or policies regarding student, employee, or visitor misconduct and discipline, including suspension and expulsion;

(3) developing resolutions, regulations, or policies regarding the storage or maintenance of firearms, which must include designated areas where persons can park vehicles that carry firearms; and

(4) permitting the carrying or use of firearms for the purpose of instruction and curriculum

I'd be super excited.

I'd feel really safe with a nice new Glock CC.

Lots of trash running around today, CC only makes sense.

At least if I knew BITOGERs were armed I'd feel safer.

Cops carry guns, and they aren't special people and it works to deter crime.

Have fun getting your license!!!

I'm guessing the comedy is the 16hrs required training. What about the person who has been around guns their whole life? Wonder if any part of this could be waived?
Seems like a lot...

I like that there is no special permit required in Chicago.

Maybe the comedy is that if a private employer bans guns they can still be locked in an employees car in the parking lot, but almost every imaginable government building doesn't allow them on the premesis.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

I will finally be able to leave my house after dark...
happy2.gif

Quinn will veto it. Not strict enough for him. If he does sign it then the court will throw it out I bet.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I'm guessing the comedy is the 16hrs required training. What about the person who has been around guns their whole life? Wonder if any part of this could be waived?
Seems like a lot...

Being around guns all your life doesn't automatically guarantee you're going to be safe with them. In the same breath, I know a mandatory class isn't a guarantee either, but I think it goes with the CYA thing....

It seems that you will be able to carry everywhere except where people congregate. Because we all know that a bad guy would never bring a gun to a government building, preschool, elementary school, high school, college, or university...

The 16 hours of training are a bit extreme....but the part I would find idiotic are the prohibited areas of carry. Might as well say you can't carry a concealed weapon anyplace. Take your kids to any type park....you can't carry. Need to ride a bus (buses where I live have a high percentage of assaults), you can't defend yourself. Any public event requiring a government permit? Seems like a joke that this even got this far.

Reading the list of prohibited places where carry isn't allowed makes me wonder where carry IS allowed!?!? It would seem permitted carry places would be a pretty short list and makes this law stupid, except these people knew exactly what they were doing in the first place! So apparently, they must think "we the people" are pretty stupid.

To add insult to injury, asking a combat Infantry type to take a course of 16 hours plus live fire--is pretty rinky-dink! A refresher of sorts, sure! That's fair--and useful. I fear (without ego) that I've most likely forgotten more than most instructors probably will ever know about the subject of weapons, safety, and use. Been there, and done that.

LOL, a concealed carry bill that allows you to carry in your home, as long as you're alone, with the curtains closed, and as long as the neighbors don't object. Now that's progress.

Originally Posted By: hatt
LOL, a concealed carry bill that allows you to carry in your home, as long as you're alone, with the curtains closed, and as long as the neighbors don't object. Now that's progress.

Exactly,

The list of excluded place's is outrageous. The 16 hours of training, for most applicants, is reasonable. I know of numerous individuals with a valid Michigan CPL that need much more training. An individuals lack of familiarity with their weapon can be hazardous to yours and my health. I'm glad our friends from Illinois got this far. Some of the earlier proposal's we're unbelievable. Glad I don't live there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt

Lol...good post. What a bunch of garbage! They limit you (infringement) to the point that one little mistake and you are nailed. The bad guy? Oh, he carries wherever and whenever he wants. Sad joke. I do enjoy walking around in downtown Chicago however. It's a rather pleasant city compared to most. But bor...what rules when it comes to carrying a firearm. Ridiculous to say the least.

Gotta start somewhere. When the populace shows that mayhem and disaster will not follow (any more than already exists) the list of places will shorten year by year.

I gave up my FOID card when I left Scott AFB. I'd have shredded it, but somebody had it down to be turned in on the outprocessing sheet.

Good luck, Illinois!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back