IIHS 2024 Top Safety Picks

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Looks like Japan and Korea knocked it out of the park:

If you are near Ruckersville VA (2 hours south of DC) you might be able to witness a crash test. I got to see one 10+ years ago, I hope they are still open to the public.

There was a school trip there that day and the facility has a museum with wrecked cars and various safety innovations including the first recorded air bag deployment which was a head on collision between two Chrysler LeBarons.

Interesting that the Telluride is a winner+ but the Palisade isn't. :unsure:
the Palisade never win anything anywhere. Car And Driver has the Telluride win 5 years in a row 10 best Suv. Consumer Reports has always ranked the Telluride higher. the Telluride is Hyundai group best product they make bar none. they nickname it Selluride. Palisade and Telluride are siblings, but the Telluride is the gifted one of the family. and it also has good looks. very good looks.

Interesting that the Telluride is a winner+ but the Palisade isn't. :unsure:

The IIHS essentially uses an algorithm to determine the Top Safety Picks:

>X crash test results + ABC safety equipment.

The actual formula probably is buried somewhere on their website. The knee jerk guess is that the Palisade is lacking some feature that the Telluride has as standard, or somehow the Palisade had weaker crash test scores in an area.

IIRC i read somewhere that it had to do with the lighting. But don't quote me on that. I find our Palisaide's lighting to me more than adequate. But i havent driven a Telluride at night to be able to tell the difference.

1709054795643.jpg

It would be very interesting to correlate this information with the state by state, and overall national trend data of crash injury by model type.

IIHS lists these as the most unsafe. No surprise small cars don't fare well in serious crashes.
Google says Tesla drivers have the most accidents :eek:

1. Ford Fiesta
2. Hyundai Accent (4-Door Car)
3. Chevrolet Sonic
4. Nissan Versa Note
5. Fiat 500
6. Hyundai Elantra and the Kia Forte
7. Nissan Versa
8. Kia Rio
9. Ford Mustang GT Coupe, Hyundai Accent (Station Wagon), and Nissan Sentra
10. Chevrolet Sonic

And this one is an interesting study, with all sorts of car related data

Last edited:
Google says Tesla drivers have the most accidents
I think this might be due to the super-car performance level of Teslas. Not everyone should have access to 0-60 in 3 sec and can't handle it accordingly IMHO.

the Palisade never win anything anywhere. Car And Driver has the Telluride win 5 years in a row 10 best Suv. Consumer Reports has always ranked the Telluride higher. the Telluride is Hyundai group best product they make bar none. they nickname it Selluride. Palisade and Telluride are siblings, but the Telluride is the gifted one of the family. and it also has good looks. very good looks.
My wife, SIL, and I much prefer the looks of the Palisade over the Telluride. The SIL bought one in 2022 and absolutely loves it. Wife and I almost bought one until the wife started test driving minivans lol

IIHS scores are never a factor when I'm choosing a vehicle. I've purchased cars that scored well in some IIHS tests, but that is simply pure concidence. Back in 2011 my son's first car was a restored 2002...
“Car X did slightly better in all actual crash tests vs Car Y, but because automatic headlights and auto high beams are optional extras we can’t give it Top Safety Pick+, but Car Y gets top safety pick+ because those are standard equipment!”

Back