IHI turbos wasteGATE flapper journal wear common issue?

So, after speculating and procrastinating for thousand of kilometers, I finally figured out, by simply removing the turbo cover, why the car is losing power day after day with no explanation (and no MIL) at all:

20231022_155043.jpg

As some of you would figure out, the wastegate pin and journal are equally wore out than the lever assembly that you see on the pic I took. Here's a small video:

Good that you've solved the issue!
Not solved yet, I don't know if I can have that specific parts for that turbo, as I don't have detailed parts numbers across the IHI RHF range to see what could fit where.

So either a new/reman turbo, or parts so we can fix it ourselves...

If anyone knows parts numbers about IHI turbos, I'll be happy to hear

20231022_154946.jpg

not like it is covered in soot, which would indicate an exhaust leak...

If it were mine, I rummage the hardware store for a steel sleeve and set it into the arm with JB Weld. Then drill out the rivet on the rod and replace it with a bolt.
That is where I would go. I can see many way to repair this, one way is to grind the rivet head off and get rid of the pin, weld the hogged out hole up and drill it for a flanged bushing, use a grade 10.9/grade 8 shouldered bolt that fits snug in the bushing (not tight) and tack weld the head to the actuator rod, use a washer and lock nut to hold it tight enough that still has free movement.

These are some bushings, they will probably need to be shortened to the same thickness are the arm, they cut easy with a hacksaw or cutoff wheel.

not like it is covered in soot, which would indicate an exhaust leak...
140000 kilometers, the plastic cam cover is leaking a lil bit of oil from the seal at the front, so maybe that's where the black on top of the lever comes? or leak from the bushing yes.

If it were mine, I would rummage the hardware store for a steel sleeve and set it into the arm with JB Weld. Then drill out the rivet on the rod and replace it with a bolt.
interesting, let's see if I can find sleeves in shops on the island

That is where I would go. I can see many way to repair this, one way is to grind the rivet head off and get rid of the pin, weld the hogged out hole up and drill it for a flanged bushing, use a grade 10.9/grade 8 shouldered bolt that fits snug in the bushing (not tight) and tack weld the head to the actuator rod, use a washer and lock nut to hold it tight enough that still has free movement.
I'll carefully envision this. no issue with the pin wear ?

I was thinking about getting rid of the internal wastegate and add an external, and a tune, if it's going to be a mess to fix each time.

Back