Ideas on Uses for Spare Vert Shaft V-twin

Hi all, a couple of seasons ago the transmission failed in the riding mower I was using. The rest of the machine is in good shape. A replacement hydro unit, or even sourcing a used one was at or more than the value of the mower. Its capabilities were marginal for my property anyway (steep slope, no diff lock, no ROPS, etc) so I took the opportunity to upgrade.

I still have the mower. The engine ran very strong and is still in good shape. It's a Briggs "Extended Life Series" vertical shaft V-twin with approx. 220 hours.

I can wire and definitely assemble things, but am no fabricator when it comes to welding. Wondering if any of you have, or have seen an interesting use for something like this engine. I'd love to do something with it other than have it sit in the barn.

Find a right angle gearbox and make a powered wagon for yard debris. It helps if you have fabrication skills along with the tools. In your case it may be best to pull the motor and sell it on marketplace etc...

Harder to tinker with vertical shaft motors. Horizontal shaft with a belt drive and that’s begging for a project. A vertical shaft of that size or pretty much for a mower.

Turn it into a generator? I'm actually looking at this with a spare that I have that's just laying around, obviously a horizontal is best for this purpose but a vertical shaft is do able. I basically want to use it to charge batteries, currently using another generator with a battery charger but this way will allow me to generate dc power directly to charge them and should be a lot quicker too. The one I have is a wee bit too much for this, it's a B&S 19.5 hp opposed twin so I'll have to come up with a cart to install it as it will be too much to lug it around everywhere.

Make sure the generator is designed to be used in a vertical position. Bearings may not last otherwise.

Turn it into a generator? I'm actually looking at this with a spare that I have that's just laying around, obviously a horizontal is best for this purpose but a vertical shaft is do able. I basically want to use it to charge batteries, currently using another generator with a battery charger but this way will allow me to generate dc power directly to charge them and should be a lot quicker too. The one I have is a wee bit too much for this, it's a B&S 19.5 hp opposed twin so I'll have to come up with a cart to install it as it will be too much to lug it around everywhere.

The 212cc predator would be perfect for this. you can source v-belt pulleys for these but idk about newer serpentine belt pulleys? 19 hp is a bunch, but then you could just run it at 1000 rpm with a larger pulley...

m

Back