I'd like to quit driving

I love driving and I'm totally in favor of everyone else looking for alternative transportation.
grin.gif

I'm also in the driving less boat. Used to commute 72 miles one way to work, never gave it a thought. But you know, you get old, retire, things change. Still have two cars, could get by with one. But they're paid for, low miles, cheap insurance, still an affordable convenience. Not a big fan of getting old.

I had jobs in automotive sectors that quickly caused my auto enjoyment to fade.
Once i got out, i always rekindled my enjoyment with them.

I now live in an area where most do not even own a car (young and old alike).
As a result I do not need them for commuting. Only one gets used very infrequently for errands/groceries.
They are a luxury that continue to give me something to work on, and plan for projects...in other words, they give me something to do.
I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
I'm also in the driving less boat. Used to commute 72 miles one way to work, never gave it a thought. But you know, you get old, retire, things change. Still have two cars, could get by with one. But they're paid for, low miles, cheap insurance, still an affordable convenience. Not a big fan of getting old.

Consider the alternative.

I'm 63 and the day I tell my wife I no longer enjoy driving is the day she takes a Mental Inquest Warrant out on me(although I also think she also would if I said I was interested in a new Buick or Lincoln).

Originally Posted by double vanos
I'm retired and every retirement planner will tell you to cut back to one car. Sounds good but I'm 6'2" and the wife is barely 5 foot. She drives with the seat all the way forward and up, I drive the exact opposite. I don't think it'll work, we'd wear out the power seat in a year!
What has changed is I don't give a darn about what I drive anymore, so my next vehicle will be an inexpensive car, not a truck. I'm thinking Fit, Corolla, something like that.
I suspect the car after that will be no car .
Having said all that, the new GF6 oils are looking mighty fine ......
12.gif

Well I was going to say you should get a Mercedes. Maybe C class although I like E. Anyway, they all have 3 position memory seats for driver and passengers. So you just hit a button and the seat and mirrors/steering wheel go to the memorized pre-set.

I don't think the motor will burn out that easily. Right now I'm moving my seat back all the way whenever I do take out and eat in the car. Then I hit the button to move it back to where it's supposed to go.

Originally Posted by Chris142
No way could I trust public transportation!

You haven't lived until you've ridden the #4 train in NYC from the Bronx to Manhattan....eau de urine is the odor of the day.........

Originally Posted by loneryder
More and more young people today have no interest in cars or driving. I know a number of people who had to force their teenagers to get their license. From an early age I was interested in cars and knew every make. In the 60's me and everyone I knew couldn't wait to get our liscense. It meant freedom and the ability to get laid. Young guys now days don't seem too interested in that. They are content to live at home into adulthood. We couldn't wait until we had the ability to move out of our parents home.
To this day I like driving although not in heavy rush hour traffic. My whole career involved outside sales and driving. My back reminds me every day of that.
i had dirt bikes long before I was old enough to drive. Chicks dig that lol

I love driving! My wife hates to drive! I couldn't wait to get my license at 16. I drove class 8 trucks for 45 years and never wanted to do anything else to earn a living. My wife and I just got back from a week at Myrtle Beach and I drove every inch of the 600 mile round trip. We have an unwritten agreement. The last time I rode with her was after I had a colonoscopy and even it was 5 miles of pure T he!! !

Public transportation here does not go everywhere. The nearest bust stop to my house is in the town next to mine. There is one 1/2 mile from my work but it only runs 2x a day for the school kids and not my work schedule. Even the los angelas metro link is pretty lame. It goes to several stations in the bad part of those cities but ypu may still be 20+ miles from your destination with no way to get there.

You're taking too many liberties with that opinion. I do not like the idea of self piloting automobiles. I am, however, interested in seeing less traffic on the road and willing to only drive when I need to. When I was younger, and not too Terribly long ago, I enjoyed an aimless pleasure cruise. These days however I like to be home as much as possible.

Originally Posted by Chris142
No way could I trust public transportation!

Cris you are not a city boy !!!

I have days like that, but overall they can pry my vehicles from my cold dead hands
lol.gif
Just did a 1 hour round trip to go pick up some gyros, it was an uneventful drive of just cruising in the truck with the music on by myself. The truck is my quiet happy place.

Regarding younger people not wanting to drive.... I think that is very region specific. If I actually grew up in Chicago or any other big city I'd probably want no part of owning a vehicle or driving. Being from a tiny little town, a car was mandatory if you wanted to do ANYTHING. A car meant freedom and the ability to get out of said boring little town.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I have days like that, but overall they can pry my vehicles from my cold dead hands
lol.gif
Just did a 1 hour round trip to go pick up some gyros, it was an uneventful drive of just cruising in the truck with the music on by myself. The truck is my quiet happy place.

Regarding younger people not wanting to drive.... I think that is very region specific. If I actually grew up in Chicago or any other big city I'd probably want no part of owning a vehicle or driving. Being from a tiny little town, a car was mandatory if you wanted to do ANYTHING. A car meant freedom and the ability to get out of said boring little town.

Naw, I grew up in the city and have had a car since I was 18. I either like to walk or drive. I like to avoid taking public transportation although I did to that for a few years commuting to work. I'm hoping I can maintain my driving skills into my 70-80s if I make it that far. I think Paul Newman was still driving race cars in his 70s. I don't want to be that super old guy driving 20mph in the city that everyone honks at.

Mass transit / public transportation is generally useful in an urban environment. The problems come in when distances increase, and or home ownership happens.

Originally Posted by loneryder
More and more young people today have no interest in cars or driving. I know a number of people who had to force their teenagers to get their license. From an early age I was interested in cars and knew every make. In the 60's me and everyone I knew couldn't wait to get our liscense. It meant freedom and the ability to get laid. Young guys now days don't seem too interested in that. They are content to live at home into adulthood. We couldn't wait until we had the ability to move out of our parents home.
To this day I like driving although not in heavy rush hour traffic. My whole career involved outside sales and driving. My back reminds me every day of that.

My son's a weird one, I guess. He's been working on cars since he was a young teen. I let him drive our Cherokee and some farm vehicles on on my brother's ranch when he was 12. He started buying, rebuilding and flipping older cars at age 15. Now, at 17, he's living away from home going to university. He's got three cars right now. One daily driver that he has with him on the other coast, a project car he works on when he comes home to me and an old family car that also stays with me. He's he's been back home for a while due to the current circumstances and he's having a good old time with the Mitsubishi Delica he's been outfitting as a camper. My automotive activities are increasingly limited to driving with less and less wrenching involved. Driving is still fun.

Originally Posted by double vanos
I'm retired and every retirement planner will tell you to cut back to one car. Sounds good but I'm 6'2" and the wife is barely 5 foot. She drives with the seat all the way forward and up, I drive the exact opposite. I don't think it'll work, we'd wear out the power seat in a year!
What has changed is I don't give a darn about what I drive anymore, so my next vehicle will be an inexpensive car, not a truck. I'm thinking Fit, Corolla, something like that.
I suspect the car after that will be no car .
Having said all that, the new GF6 oils are looking mighty fine ......
12.gif

I fully retired the first time in 2014; I tried to cut back to four cars but I went back to work full time in 2019 and I'm back up to five(the limit imposed by my bride).

I'd say I enjoy driving. The Genesis puts a smile on my face with the comfort and good power. The Jeep puts a smile on my face when I take it out to the desert off-roading from time to time. I could not daily drive it though, it is just not a daily driver type car.

I daily drove my Wrangler from 2002 to 2007. I still drive it to work 1-2 times per week.

Back