I wince every time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speed HUMPS would be kinder. Speed bumps suck. Slowing down is one thing, but practically stopping, accelerating, repeat is annoying as that hot place.

I tend to make sure I don't put both front wheels hitting them at a 90 degree angle, this helps to better absorb the impact with less jolt on the vehicle. If you hit them straight ahead both wheels take that sudden impact together and feels as if it does more wear. Does it? I'm not sure but sure feel like it does. Also I've learned to stick with Toyota. They seem to just hold up better to overall wear and tear. My 09 Pontiac vibe (AKA Toyota Matrix) with 130,000 miles on it is still completely tight in every aspect, the shocks feel great. I picked up a 02 dodge neon 39,000 original miles recently to drive/sell and it felt like it needed ball joints already. I couldn't believe it. I sold that car fairly quickly.
What I can't stand about speed bumps is when they add them in on a road you drive everyday then all of the sudden one day they have added these huge 6/8ft long bumps that will cause you to jump your car if you don't see them in time.

Originally Posted by Chuckh
There are also plastic removable speed bumps. Those should be illegal and even banned. What I don't like about them is they have trapezoidal cross section. They are just overly harsh to drive over. They also make me glad my car is not lowered at all. At one end of one of them is enough space I can bypass the bump easily enough. My guess is that they only come as sections and in one length but are connectable. I don't despise speed bumps when they are a gentler profile that is a permanent part of the lot but those plastic things MUST GO!!!

Meh...I can take those at 35 in my Caddy.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
If half the population had the bad back problems that I have had speed bumps of any type would be illegal. Before I had the IDET procedure performed my back was so bad that any bump or pothole was like a knife to my back no matter how slow I went.

I know speed bumps may sometimes be necessary to prevent speeding in areas where children play, and I have even once caught up with a teenager driver who had opened it up in an alley in the summer time where kids play and I really balled him out and let him know how stupid what he just did was, but one of the things that is not considered when speed bumps are installed is how much pain it causes people with bad backs.

If you back is bad enough where a speed bump hurts no matter how slow you go over it that would mean any bump/ lot entrance or road imperfections would also hurt it as well. Wow that would suck bad. I've had my back hurt like that one time and only for a few days. Those that deal with it everyday I sure feel for you as it would be terrible.

Originally Posted by R1jake
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
If half the population had the bad back problems that I have had speed bumps of any type would be illegal. Before I had the IDET procedure performed my back was so bad that any bump or pothole was like a knife to my back no matter how slow I went.

I know speed bumps may sometimes be necessary to prevent speeding in areas where children play, and I have even once caught up with a teenager driver who had opened it up in an alley in the summer time where kids play and I really balled him out and let him know how stupid what he just did was, but one of the things that is not considered when speed bumps are installed is how much pain it causes people with bad backs.

If you back is bad enough where a speed bump hurts no matter how slow you go over it that would mean any bump/ lot entrance or road imperfections would also hurt it as well. Wow that would suck bad. I've had my back hurt like that one time and only for a few days. Those that deal with it everyday I sure feel for you as it would be terrible.

I wouldn't advise hitting a bump at an angle as some suggest. At least in my experience, that wig wag from left to right going over them at slow speed puts my body into a left to right sort of whiplash. My guess is it will compound back pain or damage if not create it where none existed.
At one exit to our neighborhood, there is a 35 or 40 degree angled rut in the pavement, probably a water line or power related service that was dug up and poorly patched. It's not deep but just enough to upset the car and the body motion to that off-set kind of reaction that sucks. I tend to angle my car a bit to hit it straight every time.
I especially enjoy *
smirk2.gif
* the manhole covers that were designed into our roads at just he correct spot to have cars take the hit with a left tire/wheel. If 'they' could just consistently maintain that idea for effing up an entire lane on some our busiest most traveled roads, 'THEY' hit it outta the park !!
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
I noticed that they seemed worse--I hadn't been over one in a long time, but my son started taking a class at a different school building, and they have like six in a 100 yard range--when I mentioned to the wife, she thought it was because they had to be made bigger for all the SUV's.
21.gif

Originally Posted by supton
I noticed that they seemed worse--I hadn't been over one in a long time, but my son started taking a class at a different school building, and they have like six in a 100 yard range--when I mentioned to the wife, she thought it was because they had to be made bigger for all the SUV's.
21.gif

Bigger for SUV's - Interesting point and pretty perceptive whether it's the correct reasoning for design or not.

Thinking about how much suspension travel the SUV, or trucks have and the bigger tires or sidewall, it does seem relevant that taking the hit is a bit less dramatic and speeds over bumps might not be too severely torturous. Sales for SUV and trucks has nearly wiped out the car market as we knew it speaking to SUV's and trucks being quite prominent in use these days. If 'they' start designing speed bumps to put the hurt on SUV and truck traffic, cars will go away completely b/c they can't make it over the bumps ! (Or they leave their muffler parts and suspensions bits)
lol.gif

Those speed bumps must be hard on fire trucks. In my old neighborhood there was a house fire at the end of the street. Every engine and ladder truck that showed up went full speed right up to the speed bumps and the went over them at a couple of miles an hour. They would accelerate quickly pulling away, then brake right up to the bump and take it at a couple of miles an hour. Every responding truck did this for every single speed bump. I would guess it added a few minutes to their response time.

I don't have a heavy foot at all, but watching people in cars that can easily handle the speed bumps by me (which are fairly wide) at 20-25MPH slow down to a crawl seems over the top. Perhaps they should just park the car in the garage and only bring it out on Sunday mornings to preserve it.

Originally Posted by DBMaster
Speed HUMPS would be kinder. Speed bumps suck. Slowing down is one thing, but practically stopping, accelerating, repeat is annoying as that hot place.

Those are common in my area, but my god talk about a surprise when you hit a new one that hasn't had the reflective tape applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back