I thought LED headlights were good for 10+ years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They last 10 years or until they fail. where are the lights made? There are made with the bottom of the quality barrel parts.

LED's MAY last 10+ years, but like every light element that has ever been created, every power cycle decreases the life of the element to some small degree. Meaning, if you turned it on and left it on, it may last 10 years. If you drive a start-stop route only at night and have 15-20 power cycles per night, well, you're most likely not going to see 10 years.

That said, greenjp hit the nail on the head. All LEDs get dimmer with time in service, and in LED panels like overhead lights the circuitry actually starts out driving the element at around 70%, and will ramp up current as the element ages, so to keep the perceived brightness the same over the lifetime of the panel. LED Headlights, especially older ones, I do not know if that was the case. I agree, replace them with a set of Halogens like Nightbreakers or the Phillips +130 series.

These are not factory items which last at least as long as you thought.

These are Made in China items which the hope is owner will sell before they fail which is likely a majority case.

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
Apparently you CAN get to the bulbs without the bumper coming off.

I have seen that video and the last thing I want to do is mess up that piece in the wheel well. I really don't want that thing loose and rattling around, especially given the fact that my Honda is lowered 2" so there isn't a lot of clearance in there if things go wrong.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Are these reflector or projector housings?

I honestly don't know the difference.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Are these reflector or projector housings?

I honestly don't know the difference.
21.gif

Post a picture of the housing, I, or somebody else, will quickly let you know.

There's a little something in manufacturing analysis called the "bathtub curve". All you can really provide is an average lifespan. There will always be a lot of early failures (and burn-in testing is supposed to help uncover them) as well as a high concentration of late failures.

The other thing about LEDs is that they'll still keep on running until the point of failure, even if the output is reduced. Bulbs do that some some degree, but it's not going to be anything like 50% of original output like what's possible with LEDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back