I think she was running a little lean.....

AMcs2Qz.jpg

Thanks for the words of wisdom Paul, My Old Man has been helping out as retirement is already driving him crazy (again), Even though he's about to turn 80.....He's quite a bit of help. (He owned/operated a repair garage for decades)

But, You're right......I need an apprentice. Just can't seem to find a young man that's willing. Tried a couple fresh out of Trade School & it didn't work out. Gave one a Timing Belt job on a '94 Ranger 2.3L & he threw a fit.....This is after giving him some gravy work like brakes & struts which he did OK at. Working on an old "POS" was beneath him even though this truck is clean & well taken care of.

Incredible, I would still love to do a job like that for no other reason than I enjoy it. I am not the youngest anymore but I would be happy to help out if I was nearby. I can understand your dad, this profession is a love hate thing but you cant ever leave it you will always miss it.

Thanks for the words of wisdom Paul, My Old Man has been helping out as retirement is already driving him crazy (again), Even though he's about to turn 80.....He's quite a bit of help. (He owned/operated a repair garage for decades)

But, You're right......I need an apprentice. Just can't seem to find a young man that's willing. Tried a couple fresh out of Trade School & it didn't work out. Gave one a Timing Belt job on a '94 Ranger 2.3L & he threw a fit.....This is after giving him some gravy work like brakes & struts which he did OK at. Working on an old "POS" was beneath him even though this truck is clean & well taken care of.

Sounds like AutoMechanic is willing to learn!

I wish I was closer I’d be your apprentice. At work they are starting to not be the best towards us especially the ones that haven’t been there for years. I’m 18 but learning everyday and I love doing it. Never once have I complained about a job I’m happy to do anything I am assigned. They let my boss go on Monday for letting us play corn hole while we were slow and didn’t have any work so now I’m worried they will let us younger ones go.
While I’m not a mechanic, I did do my time as an apprentice... just keep your head down, ask smart questions, don’t fall for the bucket full of spot welds prank like I did!!!, and you’ll be fine. If they do let you go, there is always more work, especially if you’re competent and can show up on time everyday without complaining. I had the same attitude as you when I was 18 and less than a decade later I’m working at my dream job.

While I’m not a mechanic, I did do my time as an apprentice... just keep your head down, ask smart questions, don’t fall for the bucket full of spot welds prank like I did!!!, and you’ll be fine. If they do let you go, there is always more work, especially if you’re competent and can show up on time everyday without complaining. I had the same attitude as you when I was 18 and less than a decade later I’m working at my dream job.
Yeah the good part is I am multi skilled because I am working on my locksmith certification to go along with being a mechanic. So I don’t think I will ever be without work.

Reactions: JC1
Back