I plan to drive to Maine in a few days

It's 1300+ miles to where I'm going. This will be my 14th drive there and I normally drive the NY Thruway all the way across. I have 2 questions. 1) What condition is the Thruway in? 2) what is the toll charge from the Penn line to the Mass pike? Thanks in advance for the help.

Not sure where you are departing from in Illinois. Ever look at routing through Detroit/ Windsor to Maine and bypass New York state?

Not sure where you are departing from in Illinois. Ever look at routing through Detroit/ Windsor to Maine and bypass New York state?
No. That wouldn't work for this trip. Thanks for the advise.

I drove to Maine from Boston the other week, most of the tolls were in that little stretch of New Hampshire. They ranged from $1-$3. You can pay them online too, they'll have your license plate number if you don't go into the lane to pay.

If you take I-90 through NY that will by far be your biggest toll. Actually, going through NYC would be if you're dumb enough for that. Guess I'm saying, NYS should be central to your route planning.

Wonderful! We used to vacation in Rockland and Camden often on the 90's and the early 2000's. I highly recommend a short and pleasant drive north from Bath to Rockland to visit the Owls Head transportation Museum. On display are Cars, and Aircraft and stationary engines. The finest I have ever visited.
They used to perform live airshows. First time I went there in the early 90's there was a guy doing stunts in a Fokker Triplane. These are non existent so I really don't know what I was looking at! I have to find photos, from 30 years ago! I may also suggest the Fansworth art Museum. Enjoy! = Ken

Do you have an E-ZPass for the tolls?

If not you can usually get them at a rest area or something similar.

NY is in the process of removing all toll booths and going the E-ZPass route or they’ll take a pic of your license plate and bill you by mail.

What a shame all those jobs gone…

Have you considered 80E to 81N to 84E beginning in PA near Scranton and then into NY, CT, and then New England?

What a shame all those jobs gone…

Have you considered 80E to 81N to 84E beginning in PA near Scranton and then into NY, CT, and then New England?

Are you sure about that? Those were cushy jobs that paid 2-4x what a regular cashier would make. That's one reason they got rid of them. The surliest change makers I have ever encountered were toll takers. Plus they also created huge traffic jams, I was glad when EZ pass first appeared and many stubborn people refused to get them because they didn't want the "government" tracking them so they sat in those huge lines to pay by cash whereas I just breezed through with the EZ-pass, only annoying thing was working through all those who were in the wrong lane and causing the backup for the EZpass lanes and now you'll notice that there's no lines of traffic waiting to pay the tolls. Plus you have no idea what the tolls are either, it's usually in fine print. A win win all around.

Your iPass can be used on all the tollways as it's an EZ pass. Expect to spend nearly $50 in tolls for a round trip.
However I tried that with no success.

$20/one way with an EZ/iPass.

Why not go I-80 all the way to I-287 north in NJ, and hit the Truway from there? There is a big rest area in Sloatsburg, with covered parking, in case you need to rest in the shade.

Screenshot 2022-07-04 114914.jpg

If you take I-90 through NY that will by far be your biggest toll. Actually, going through NYC would be if you're dumb enough for that. Guess I'm saying, NYS should be central to your route planning.
I first made this drive in 1965, and have driven it 12 more times. This will be the 14th and perhaps last. I- 80 is OK, but way more truck traffic so I prefer I-90 across the NY Thruway even with the toll. I was asking about the highway it's self, and the toll cost.

Wonderful! We used to vacation in Rockland and Camden often on the 90's and the early 2000's. I highly recommend a short and pleasant drive north from Bath to Rockland to visit the Owls Head transportation Museum. On display are Cars, and Aircraft and stationary engines. The finest I have ever visited.
They used to perform live airshows. First time I went there in the early 90's there was a guy doing stunts in a Fokker Triplane. These are non existent so I really don't know what I was looking at! I have to find photos, from 30 years ago! I may also suggest the Fansworth art Museum. Enjoy! = Ken
I've been to Rockland, however we're going to the Millinocket area as my family has cabins rented for 4 days. We plan on a Jeep ride with a guide for a moose watch, and a guided raft tour on a placid stream. Also I climbed the entire Mt. Katahdin (knife edge and all) when I was 29 and plan to see the Mountain once again.

It's 1300+ miles to where I'm going. This will be my 14th drive there and I normally drive the NY Thruway all the way across. I have 2 questions. 1) What condition is the Thruway in? 2) what is the toll charge from the Penn line to the Mass pike? Thanks in advance for the help.

tig1, IF you can make it to Rt 80... Take that all the way across PA and it will put you to where you can take 287 North (in NJ) to Thruway South to Tappan Zee.. to be coming up through Connecticut, 95 North.

If that can work for you. To save some tolls....

I crossed that out because I did see you prefer NOT to use 80 in your above post.

A few other posters are saying the same. Great drive.. that's all I will add.

tig1, IF you can make it to Rt 80... Take that all the way across PA and it will put you to where you can take 287 North (in NJ) to Thruway South to Tappan Zee.. to be coming up through Connecticut, 95 North.

If that can work for you. To save some tolls....

I crossed that out because I did see you prefer NOT to use 80 in your above post.

A few other posters are saying the same. Great drive.. that's all I will add.
Years ago I drove that route several times back when there wasn't near the truck traffic that there is now.

I've been to Rockland, however we're going to the Millinocket area as my family has cabins rented for 4 days. We plan on a Jeep ride with a guide for a moose watch, and a guided raft tour on a placid stream. Also I climbed the entire Mt. Katahdin (knife edge and all) when I was 29 and plan to see the Mountain once again.

Go a little further and take the golden road to the NMW and AWW, I do it every august. Nothing else like it.

I avoid the tolls as much as I can and loathe driving through Massachusetts, traffic is terrible no matter which route you take.

I drove to Maine from Boston the other week, most of the tolls were in that little stretch of New Hampshire. They ranged from $1-$3. You can pay them online too, they'll have your license plate number if you don't go into the lane to pay.
We are very smart to collect in NH for the 10-20 miles you have to pass thru! I live somewhat near those tolls.

Back