I Need A New Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly suggest reading reviews on Newegg rather than someone here blurting out "My blah blah DOCSIS 2.0 modem I bought in 2006 still works great".

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I highly suggest reading reviews on Newegg rather than someone here blurting out "My blah blah DOCSIS 2.0 modem I bought in 2006 still works great".

Thank You!

I second this.

But..................if your internet is being delivered to your devices and maintaining the speeds you want, does it really matter what you are using?

I ask this because I recently bought a new modem/router in order to return the Comcast rental, after reading up on what to look for I felt overloaded very quickly. Ended up getting a TP-Link TC-W7960S off Amazon for $63.05. It's worked ever since I installed it on Jan 7th. Would I really notice a difference if I had gone with one of the fancier and more costly units?

Maybe this is what newbies to BITOG feel like
lol.gif

Originally Posted by RamFan

I second this.

But..................if your internet is being delivered to your devices and maintaining the speeds you want, does it really matter what you are using?

I ask this because I recently bought a new modem/router in order to return the Comcast rental, after reading up on what to look for I felt overloaded very quickly. Ended up getting a TP-Link TC-W7960S off Amazon for $63.05. It's worked ever since I installed it on Jan 7th. Would I really notice a difference if I had gone with one of the fancier and more costly units?

lol.gif

So, it's a router and modem all in one, huh?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by RamFan

I second this.

lol.gif

So, it's a router and modem all in one, huh?

It is, which it sounds like you don't need.

Many people aren't fans of the all-in-one approach, I like it for the simplicity and space saving aspect. Just looks cleaner imo.

First, I have both personally experienced and read horror stories from others about what some inexperienced tech has told customers and I would not trust them as far as I can throw them.

If your internet connection goes out but then later it returns with some stability, odds are it is not your modem. This is far more often a problem with an intermittent connection, outdoors, where the seasonal rain and/or temperature changes are causing it.

The problem with intermittent connections is the tech needs to be on-site during your outage so s/he can measure where in the series the signal drops too much. Did the tech measure the signal at your modem and determine it was acceptable, then immediately afterward the modem would not even boot up and show its diagnostic/info page? Many modems also show the signal strength there and keep logs that can indicate when and why your connection was lost.

I'm not suggesting that modems don't die, they often last about 4 to 8 years of 24/7 operation, and in particular they can suffer from electrolytic capacitor failure in either the modem itself or the AC/DC wall wart adapter, but in those cases you can crack the modem open and see capacitor(s) with burst tops. The AC/DC adapters are usually sonically welded shut and would require more finesse to get open, I usually diagnose one of those by substituting a different (usually 12V/1A) wall wart to see if the device works with it, and if it does then I crack open the old one and sure enough it either needs a new capacitor (if there's any signs of life at all from the modem like even a single LED on) or a power surge may have blown the switching transistor if the adapter measures no output voltage at all with a multimeter. Decent very low ESR replacement capacitors cost only $4 or so delivered from electronics suppliers like digikey.com, most of that being postage.

Follow the evidence, if the modem is too unstable to keep a connection it is almost certainly too unstable to finish booting and show its diagnostic page in your browser, would never be able to regain a connection until rebooted and would tend to lose the connection again right away.

Anyway, I am partial to the Motorola/Arris Surfboards, as they have good lifespan so a good bang for the buck. Which model is the best value depends on what tier (speed) of service your account has and whether you have any likelihood of getting faster service in the next few years. Cisco makes good (and expensive) enterprise class but their consumer grade isn't any longer lived than their cheaper competitors.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get anything with Wi-Fi unless it's really necessary. There is a new Wi-Fi standard called 802.11 Ax.
Not many wireless routers have it yet, but that will change.

Originally Posted by JustinH
I would get the approved list from the ISP and pick based off that.

Good advice. It use to be and still might be that some ISP's will only let you use approved modems. Mostly because when Internet speeds were slower, some modems could be hacked
so you could download much faster than than the ISP limit placed on you.

Get a Ubiquiti system. They are designed for multiple units that can be easily placed throughout your home or business. Make sure to get the Cloud Key with it.

When my old modem started dropping the connection I replaced it with 24x8 channel TP-Link DOCSIS 3.0 on sale with good reviews.
Theoretically I don't need that many download channel for my tier, but turns out I leave in congested area, so having more channels helps to get stable top speed during "rush" hours. In my area the ISP uses 32x4 configuration.

What I did is - check the list with certified modems ; test few different modems with different channel counts ; then select one with the right channels count, reviews , price

Originally Posted by Dave9
First, I have both personally experienced and read horror stories from others about what some inexperienced tech has told customers and I would not trust them as far as I can throw them.

If your internet connection goes out but then later it returns with some stability, odds are it is not your modem. This is far more often a problem with an intermittent connection, outdoors, where the seasonal rain and/or temperature changes are causing it.

The problem with intermittent connections is the tech needs to be on-site during your outage so s/he can measure where in the series the signal drops too much. Did the tech measure the signal at your modem and determine it was acceptable, then immediately afterward the modem would not even boot up and show its diagnostic/info page? Many modems also show the signal strength there and keep logs that can indicate when and why your connection was lost.

I'm not suggesting that modems don't die, they often last about 4 to 8 years of 24/7 operation, and in particular they can suffer from electrolytic capacitor failure in either the modem itself or the AC/DC wall wart adapter, but in those cases you can crack the modem open and see capacitor(s) with burst tops. The AC/DC adapters are usually sonically welded shut and would require more finesse to get open, I usually diagnose one of those by substituting a different (usually 12V/1A) wall wart to see if the device works with it, and if it does then I crack open the old one and sure enough it either needs a new capacitor (if there's any signs of life at all from the modem like even a single LED on) or a power surge may have blown the switching transistor if the adapter measures no output voltage at all with a multimeter. Decent very low ESR replacement capacitors cost only $4 or so delivered from electronics suppliers like digikey.com, most of that being postage.

Follow the evidence, if the modem is too unstable to keep a connection it is almost certainly too unstable to finish booting and show its diagnostic page in your browser, would never be able to regain a connection until rebooted and would tend to lose the connection again right away.

Anyway, I am partial to the Motorola/Arris Surfboards, as they have good lifespan so a good bang for the buck. Which model is the best value depends on what tier (speed) of service your account has and whether you have any likelihood of getting faster service in the next few years. Cisco makes good (and expensive) enterprise class but their consumer grade isn't any longer lived than their cheaper competitors.

WOW, Dave9, you hit the nail smack dab on the head!
I have had SUDDENLINK (SL) cable/internet since I moved into my apt. August 2012.
Long story short, our equipment outdoors is 33 years old. BOO KOO SL techs. have stated that when the temperature rises it causes the box to heat up and the internet connection fails. In July/August SL is supposed to be updating everything to fiber optics.
The tech said my modem is bad because it shows no internet connection until he unplugs the cable and plugs it back in. I know NOTHING about internet/cable connections!
I used to rent SL's modem/router for $12 month. While in my local WM one evening I noticed a clearance table in electronics. They were getting rid of NIB MOTOROLA/ARRIS modems (in my pic) for $15. I bought one and an ASUS router from Amazon. It has been flawless. That's until the SL tech said I needed a new modem.
When the temperature gets above 80* I lose my internet connection. It usually comes back on when the temperature drops in the evenings. And, SL KNOWS THIS!

MODEM.jpeg

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I'm running an Arris Surfboard SB6141 that I bought in 2015. But you don't need an expensive modem unless you are paying for high download speeds. I'm not a fan of the all-in-one modem+router combo units, but that's more of my own personal preference.

https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-Cer...;qid=1557263101&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Updated version of mine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MA5U1FW/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

This is the same EXACT modem I have, except mine is black.

MODEM.jpeg

Mine looks exactly the same, including that one light you have on, except a Motorola logo up top, and the word "SURFboard" on the bottom part of the display.

Originally Posted by Garak

Mine looks exactly the same, including that one light you have on, except a Motorola logo up top, and the word "SURFboard" on the bottom part of the display.

The only reason the other lights were not lit up is because my camera flash overpowered the lights. Usually the top 3 lights are lit solid and the 4th one flashes, telling me the internet is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back