I need a better antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wag123
The problem isn't just with the antenna. The AM band electronics inside the radios now days aren't very good either, and neither is the quality of the AM broadcast band itself. The manufacturers don't think that anyone listens to AM radio anymore and the receiver electronics that support good AM radio reception and sound quality have become an afterthought.
AM radios that support AM HD Radio (yes, there is such a thing as AM HD Radio) have much better AM receiver electronics in them. Unfortunately, the broadcasting of AM HD Radio signals (which are digital and use a wider bandwidth) have harmed the reception quality of standard analog AM radio, so even with a good antenna and receiver, AM radio reception quality is not as good as it used to be.

+1 this. Extremely well put.

And I am about to sell my 87 Honda Accord with an original radio which has much better AM and FM reception than any newer car. Maybe I should pull it out and retrofit it in another car.

if I'm reading this right, that the antenna has a ground, and that ground is no longer connected, your antenna may no longer be electrically "anchored." my guess is that Johnny above is a solid ARRL/Ham, and this is what he's speaking of with "Ground Plain" references - an antenna basically has to have an electrical mirror image, a hot/cold, a +/-. If ground is lifted, the other half of that image isn't present, and the antenna is no longer "anchored," using non-tech speak. You are right to ground that amplifier better, as it needs it. However if the 2nd half of the antenna array isn't connecting where it should, a significant amount on "pulling power" is lost.

I love the idea of a real whip.

One thing I didn't get from Johnny's post above (maybe he can jump back in) is, if the AM antenna on the head is internal, then anything we do for the window, external whip, or signal amp is useless, but suggestions were made, so I'm not sure what to make of that. If it's internal, then it's all the HU. If AM uses the external whip/glass, then we still have a reason to address it for AM performance.

-m

The antenna ground is currently grounded to the car frame. It makes little difference if it is grounded or not in this conditon. I am waiting for one of those ultrasonic 'cold' solder guns to arrive and then will attempt to resolder the negative antenna ground to the window grid.

As is, the AM is 1000% better than before, better than the FM as far as reception. The FM is the same or marginally weaker as I get 30-40 miles away from the station towers.

As I said I tore the connector tab off the negative end of the grid. I tried a cold solder tool and that did not work. So I got some Permatex 21351 Electrically Conductive Rear Window Defogger Tab Adhesive from Amazon. It's a two part epoxy type material. Must be applied between 50F and 75F and then cure a day, Lucked out with a cool day yesterday. tried it out today and I am pulling in FM from 90 miles away when stationary. Much better than it ever was.

91L8HdD1DkL._SL1500_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back