I found another LL coolant w/o 2 EHA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also saw an non-2EH OAT anti-freeze at NAPA that was phospate, silicate and borate free. I thought it was NAPA housebrand of Peak Global. Maybe it was made by Pride, and maybe it is a similar formula to Peak Global.

Originally Posted By: pbm
The full strength version was $11.49 a gallon.
Relatively reasonable. Looks to be by CCI or Coastal Chemical Inc. Seems their name is mentioned in making coolants for Peak, Wally and likely others.

It looks as though full strength PGL is all but gone.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: pbm
The full strength version was $11.49 a gallon.
Relatively reasonable. Looks to be by CCI or Coastal Chemical Inc. Seems their name is mentioned in making coolants for Peak, Wally and likely others.

It looks as though full strength PGL is all but gone.

So the Japanese coolant manufacture CCI, stands for Coastal Chemical INC? I remember a few years ago seeing all the Coastal brand motor oil, grease and lubricants pop up at AA and maybe AZ. It was bargained priced and I assumed it was junk lol. Maybe it wasn't bad stuff afterall.

PGL is alive and kicking in my locale. My NAPA always has it, and Kmart, and Pep Boys has the overpriced version of it. It's not really hard to find at all for me.

I don't know about CCI, when I googled it I saw the initials CCI mentioned for Coastal Chem. Maybe there's a different CCI.
21.gif

As for PGL full strength is unavailable in this area. Impracticle premix available in limited supply at Walgreens and some KMarts, but that's not useable full strength.

I don't consider PB Peak Pro. Life ~ $22.00, which one poster said was on closeout, to be an alternative to dealer proprietary. I wouldn't buy it.

Maybe it's because I'm closer to Peak's HQ in Illinois heh? I agree I'd never pay $22 for Peak Professional at PEP Boys. You can get an OE coolant for that. I got it for $6/gal though with the ad special.

I don't believe that CCI and Coastal Chemical Inc. are the same.
CCI is a Japanese Co. which makes most Japanese OE coolants.

Yeah the Coastal brand of lubes I was thinking about is still around and not the same as CCI. I was at the parts store earlier and noticed it was Warren lubrication product.

Would anybody have a problem using this 'no-name' brand coolant in their car?

Do mean using the Pride anti-freeze? I don't really know anything about it's inhibitor package. I'd guess it is similar to Peak Global. I don't know for sure if Peak Global is compatible with all models gaskets but I'd probably go with it between the two. The Global is probably generally compatible with most other coolants, but I'd think it'd be best to get at least 90% of your old coolant out when changing to it.

Yeah, it's just a curious coincidence that they also go by the initials CCI.

But, it's not the same as Coastal Lube Products made by Warren either. I posted Coastal, but Pride is really made by Coastline Chemical Inc.

I personally would not have an issue using it if it was reasonably priced. I wouldn't try to run it 5yrs/150k though. Probably a more reasonable 2-3yrs/30-45k, with a total system flush.

It would be nice if they put 2eha free somewhere in the information/literature. Otherwise, it could be the same as any of the readily available universal long life coolants, which cost less.

But, if CCI says it is 2eha free then it would seem similar to PGL. Finding PGL full strength however, has become more difficult than a Where's Waldo puzzle.

What I wonder is if 2-EHA is really the devil it's made out to be. Maybe it can gum in oxygen more than sebacate, but maybe it's not any more aggressive with gaskets than the other OAT. Of course to throw a monkey wrench in it, Asian OE coolant is P-OAT so maybe the phospates provide gasket protection making it more compatible with gaskts.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
What I wonder is if 2-EHA is really the devil it's made out to be. Maybe it can gum in oxygen more than sebacate, but maybe it's not any more aggressive with gaskets than the other OAT. Of course to throw a monkey wrench in it, Asian OE coolant is P-OAT so maybe the phospates provide gasket protection making it more compatible with gaskts.
I can't believe what I'm reading. lol Anyway it's not scared me off from the universals using it in Asians, with a reasonable interval and total flush. However, if I could find a readily available, reasonably priced universal without it, I'd use it.

If I had a Ford or Chrysler or other vehicle specing G-05, I'd use that. Fairly easy to find, at a relatively reaonable price in full strength.

As someone here said though, if one does regular maintenance and checking of the system, I do wonder if coolant choice is over-thought.
21.gif

I was never one to demonize Dexcool really lol. It is known to be aggressive with certain gaskets and can sludge, that's the only reason I cautioned against it in an asian vehicle since you couldn't be sure the gaskets wouldn't deteriorate over time.

But what I took for granted was that the Japanese OE coolant wasn't potentially agressive with gaskets too. Avoiding 2EHA may solve the sludging potential but I don't see any real reason to think the OAT sebacate in asian OE coolant (and also in some Dexcools too) is any less agressive with gaskets than 2-EHA.

So guys are always looking for an extended life coolant that is non 2-EHA, but really there might not even be a point other than the gumming issue and even that is not known for sure
21.gif

I just think the Toyota Super Long Life sebacate revelation has thrown you totally off your 2eha game.

Those dang plasticizers are hard to escape.
wink.gif

Yeah those plasticizer are hard to avoid but not if you go green or gold
wink.gif
! I'll take silicates over degraded HG any time. I've replaced a few waterpumps that were ran with silicate free coolant, so I don't think silicates really hurt water pumps.

But probably what the deal is if asians can get away with FF sebacate then the gaskets should be able to handle 2EHA. Funny thing is though not all FF OAT car's gasket can though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back