I found a loaded handgun in my front yard

Status
Not open for further replies.
.45 caliber with a fully loaded clip. Sitting underneath the tree, slightly rusty. Snowbank was about 2 feet deep until a few weeks ago, most likely someone tossed it in a panic.

Called the police and they came and picked it up. Off to the crime lab. Pretty quiet neighborhood here, but it gets a bit rough with known gang activity about a mile away.

Scary, because it was laying spitting distance from my bedroom window, and also there's a little boy who lives next door often outside playing.

For anyone curious, it looked something like this:

Link

Not real knowledgeable about handguns, could have been a different brand, but looked similar.

Wouldn't want it if I could. I'm pro gun rights, but have no use for a hand cannon like that. It had to be hot somehow, nobody would pitch a gun like that for no reason. Even the cop mentioned that it was a name brand gun, so it had to have cost a decent amount.

keep your weapons close to you at all times and if you dont have any get some not one some
as long as you don't have a violent criminal record you can get a permit in most states if not all... Remember if you pack heat and push comes to shove shoot to kill its usually better than being dead

When I was a kid I found a Colt .45 ACP, without it's clip as I remember it, behind the service station a relative was working at. A very similar situation. My bummy brother-in-law at the time took it and sold it to a pawn shop. If i find something with no ID of the owner, I'd keep it.

AcuraTech, even if you don't want it, you should still keep in touch with the police about this. Maybe someone was going to break into your house, or a neighbor's house, or was fleeing from the police and decided to ditch the gun while running by. I'd be asking lots of questions, just to keep informed if nothing else.

More than likely, they will confiscate that gun and if they are like Memphis....sell it so it can be used again.

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-ap-guns-story,0,2308544.story

Copy and paste I guess...

It's about a gun used in the Pentagon shooting coming from a Memphis PD gun sale. Guns they confiscate.

Last edited:
Pawning it would have been a HUGE mistake if the numbers came up hot. Sure, you could explain it, but the police would then lable you as suspecious and start going through you "stuff."

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Not worth the trouble if either it come up hot or the criminal found that you sold it (rather than leaving it to the police).

This.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Criminals don't just walk into a gun store and buy a gun.
Ya mean they do not obey the law?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back