I don't think I'll find or buy a used car

My tire guy says no on that rim / tire situation. He's one that says "the car was tuned for that size tire & rim". Trouble is the V60 Cross Country is the same car except rides higher, same engine, etc. does not have the low profile tires. I would need a computer update to match speedo but I have thought of it.
You can buy a wheel and tire combo with the same rolling circumference so no need to adjust the speedometer.

I agree on the wheel and tire front. I like tech though.

It’s easy enough to change wheels and tires, just use various online calcs to make sure the new tire and wheel combo is equivalent. I switched out the heavy 18” monstrosities on my CX-30 for 17” lightweight Motegis and never looked back.

View attachment 217985
I was going to mention the very same option

RAM Classic 1500? Cheapish(if you don't burn too much gas), simple interiors but very quiet and smooth, I don't notice the live axle jiggle as much in those as other trucks as most come with high profile large diameter tires.
Our base Outback has got a soft marshmellow ride with 17" 225/65 tires, and is spec'd for you perfectly, but to get heated seats in the US you had to go up a trim level. But in 18-19 I think you could avoid most frills and get heated seats still.

So that isn't one of the fast charge EV's? We go to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, a 60 mile trip and if we needed a charge, would the 110 outlet do it in a timely manner?
A 110 Volt outlet isn't ideal for EV charging but it could work if you have lots of time to charge. [My nephew has a Tesla Model 3 and that's all he uses.] You could do a fast charge at a commercial Level 3 outlet if you needed an occasional fast charge.

A 120 mile round trip would be no problem with my Tesla Model 3 but it's ride is nothing to write home about, pretty similar to your Volvo I expect.

2018+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo trim. 3.6/8 spd. 17” 70 series tires, less tech than higher trims.

Respectfully you may have to accept a feature that likely will never break and cost you money to get the comfort you want for your wife.

You can buy new Grand Cherokees in the phoenix market for $36k + tax etc right now. Add an extended warranty.

In this particular situation, I actually think a minivan would be a great “just right“ vehicle solution. They have a higher seating position and easier egress with a taller roof line, and yet should be low enough that you don’t actually put on hiking boots to get up into them. The wide sliding door is a great benefit and the rides are pretty smooth and they don’t have gargantuan beastly rims and tires.
There are several to pick from, but I like the Pacifica because of its ingenious “Stow & Go” seating system should you ever need to create more space in the van for storing any kind of medical gear or other items. It actually rides quite nicely and is remarkably quiet inside. They have multiple trim levels and many of them offer leather if that’s your thing.

This response assumes you'll keep the Volvo and set it up for a more comfortable ride.
  1. Get and have installed Koni Special Active shocks/struts
  2. Go with a smaller wheel diameter and taller side wall, in the stock rolling diameter/circumference
    1. Switch away runflat to goflat tires if you're on runflat tires now
      1. Use a touring/comfort oriented tire

Koni Special Active dampers made my Audi A4 Quattro ride significantly better (was not bad), and still corner as "sporty" as Bilstein B8 Sport dampers. Clicky to find your car's application.

I also agree going -1 in rim diameter, with a taller sidewall, for equivalent rolling circumference can help, especially if the wheel and tire combo is lighter (inertia is what inertia does). If you're currently on "runflat" tires, switching to conventional (go-flat) tires will also significantly improve the ride. Tire Rack Tire Decision Guide indicates you can go with wheel diameters all the way down to 16", and factory wheels were offered all the way down to 17" (so the advice you got, is nonsense, regarding "tuned" for that tire and wheel size).

I hope your wife finds the relief you are seeking.

2018+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo trim. 3.6/8 spd. 17” 70 series tires, less tech than higher trims.

Respectfully you may have to accept a feature that likely will never break and cost you money to get the comfort you want for your wife.

You can buy new Grand Cherokees in the phoenix market for $36k + tax etc right now. Add an extended warranty.
I just made a post lamenting how the new Jeeps look, but they fit OP's needs IMO

IF you mean her condition, nope oncologist and palliative care people say this is how it will be. I'm in my 70's and she is touching 70 and we want / need function over form. And we want an SUV or wagon type (V60 style). We test drove a Lexus NX 300 and that was the one with the very strange mousepad. Also it reminded me of the days when Saab had their ignition key on top the center console. A mechanic friend said he repaired a lot of Saabs that had liquid get into that ignition key area. I thought the same of the mouse pad. the day something spills is the day I see $1000 fly out the window. ;)

But Lexus does have the ride we are looking for.
NX300 is actually a rough ride compared to balance of their products except the is series.

Try the newest Mitsubishi outlander sport you can find with all the trimmings on it. I had a customer of mine from Texas who bought one of those for the exact reasons that you're mentioning right now.

I have a car buying service here in Atlanta and I buy vehicles all over the country, and ship them to commercial customers along with folks who know exactly what they want. Sometimes you're trying to find the 1% of the 1%, and other times people are as casual as can be as to what they want.

I would test drive one of those and see if it's your liking. Make sure it has leather and all the goodies. All the best.

...good review of aftermarket wheels. https://www.liveabout.com/toughest-aftermarket-wheels-and-what-to-avoid-3234451

My Mille Miglia wheels (winter wheels for the BMW) were just fine, but the paint flaked off my Sport Edition wheels (winter wheels for the Honda) and they corroded like crazy. In the end they weren't even good at holding air. The bead surface must have corroded.
I guess I'm the Luddite here... but I like steel wheels (well, particularly for winter). Never had an issue with corrosion that caused air leaks. Son in law & brother in law - alloys - both did...

I guess I'm the Luddite here... but I like steel wheels (well, particularly for winter). Never had an issue with corrosion that caused air leaks. Son in law & brother in law - alloys - both did...
I haven't had leaks with alloys but have heard of it. Personally, I'd rather have cheap steel rims, while I don't like hubcaps I don't enjoy washing cars either--so alloys left to their own devices will tarnish and get ugly (while steel starts out that way and stay that way).

With the OP on sidewall height. Don't see a need for it. I realize it sacrifices handling--but I drive a Corolla, just what did I expect in the first place?

I haven't had leaks with alloys but have heard of it. Personally, I'd rather have cheap steel rims, while I don't like hubcaps I don't enjoy washing cars either--so alloys left to their own devices will tarnish and get ugly (while steel starts out that way and stay that way).

With the OP on sidewall height. Don't see a need for it. I realize it sacrifices handling--but I drive a Corolla, just what did I expect in the first place?
My steel wheels on 15 Pilot LX are rusting a tad. Not exactly pretty.

Thumbs up for Luddites everywhere.

My Mille Miglia wheels for winter use were fine. Looked great too. (I actually got compliments on my winter wheels). I've had good luck with both Enkei and BBS alloy wheels - both OEM.

I think the problem with my Sport Edition alloy wheels was they weren't very good quality.

Steel wheels are okay for winter use. They don't look that great though.

Steel wheels for the loss, buy alloy:

IMG_3226.jpeg

I think your tire guy is wrong - “tuned” has nothing to do with it. The suspension has specific objectives for ride and handling. You can go -1 (one inch smaller wheels, with appropriate tires for the same diameter) and it is done all the time for snow tires. Nobody worries about “tune”.

The 2004 XC-90, as a case in point, came with either 17 or 18 inch wheels. The suspension components are all identical. Part numbers, spring rates, bushings, all of it. No “tuning” for the bigger wheels.

The issue going smaller on the wheels is brake caliper clearance. But if Volvo makes smaller wheels for that chassis, then the caliper clearance, offset, etc. are all good.
my personal preference is to take smaller diameter rims “if” the optional ones are shod with a tire of the same width (when it’s all show and no go). One less inch of rim often has weight and curb benefits. I cannot predict the future but our next car may have 22” rims. The largest we have now are 19”.

Ps we are all different but fancy open rims revealing tiny rotors and floating calipers is a Hall and Oates for me

my personal preference is to take smaller diameter rims “if” the optional ones are shod with a tire of the same width (when it’s all show and no go). One less inch of rim often has weight and curb benefits. I cannot predict the future but our next car may have 22” rims. The largest we have now are 19”.

Ps we are all different but fancy open rims revealing tiny rotors and floating calipers is a Hall and Oates for me
LOL Especially when they're super rusty!

My steel wheels on 15 Pilot LX are rusting a tad. Not exactly pretty.
When I see steelies on a vehicle such as yours, I think to myself “potentially high IQ.” 😂

Both my mom and dad went out of their way to get steel rims. In their minds, they were getting the underpinnings of a model while avoiding the fluff and overpriced options. My mom had a 2005 CR-V LX with steelies

Back