I could have died!

The cousin I taught how to drive when she was 12 has her permit now. I somehow got stuffed into the rear of the fj.

She still prefers the manual transmission in the jeep over the automatic in the fj.

IMG_20231111_164124342.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm bummed, was hoping to teach the daughter to drive stick, but I wrecked our last car, so... no go any time soon there. :(

But the fact that my daughter is both 16 and driving herself around in my old car, under her own license... think I got you beat. Both my kids are driving around now. Very sobering time in my life!

I'm bummed, was hoping to teach the daughter to drive stick, but I wrecked our last car, so... no go any time soon there. :(

But the fact that my daughter is both 16 and driving herself around in my old car, under her own license... think I got you beat. Both my kids are driving around now. Very sobering time in my life!
I don’t have any manuals now but I have a daughter that will get a learner’s permit next year. I think she’ll have enough on her plate learning one pedal driving and ICE cars. I may buy something with a manual soon. Every time I drive one it’s reassuring that it’s not a skill I forget. She loves cars so I’m sure she’d be on board with learning.

Grew up shifting - but manual gearboxes are trying to catch up with the carburetors in the bin of history - they are not even a performance gain anymore … Besides, you paid for those cup holders … 😷

The cousin I taught how to drive when she was 12 has her permit now. I somehow got stuffed into the rear of the fj.

She still prefers the manual transmission in the jeep over the automatic in the fj.
Yep, taught our daughter how to drive in our FJ, she passed the driving test in it too.

I'll post and repost each time I see a new young driver thread.

Check out STREETSURVIVAL.ORG for a hands on emergency operations type driving class. Emergency lane change, ABS braking, wet skid pad etc. They do it in the car they will be driving with an instructor as well as classroom.

Search my posts for links with videos.

We bought the mazda to make sure both boys learn to drive stick. The younger one just turned 16 and drives it to school now. The older one is in first year engineering, spends most of his awake time as school and takes the bus, but bought himself some basic transportation yesterday to get to the bus stop. A 2008 Ranger single cab 2.3l with a stick, manual locks and manual roll up windows. came from a family member at an almost free price but needs a new rear end (howls). It will carry his kayak and bike so he's happy.

Looks like this:

1699799682403.jpg

View attachment 188046
Notice where her eye level is?
It's right between that black thing mounted on the dash and her Scent thing hanging from her mirror.
So now every time she looks a little to her right, there's such little space for her to see thru.

If that black thing can't come off, then please rip down her Scent thing. Tell her she needs more experience, before driving with another scent thing flopping around in front of her.

..... then Chris lives to see another day and continue to smell that scent thing thru & up your nose.
Heck, that scent thing may kill ya' before she does.

Notice where her eye level is?
It's right between that black thing mounted on the dash and her Scent thing hanging from her mirror.
So now every time she looks a little to her right, there's such little space for her to see thru.

If that black thing can't come off, then please rip down her Scent thing. Tell her she needs more experience, before driving with another scent thing flopping around in front of her.

..... then Chris lives to see another day and continue to smell that scent thing thru & up your nose.
Heck, that scent thing may kill ya' before she does.
That black thing is part of the dash. Seat is all the way up, girl is only 4-11.... I'll tell my wife to move her scent thing lol......not!

Btw the fj is a terrible car to drive with all it's blind spots. If she can drive that she can drive anything.

I'll tell my wife to move her scent thing lol......not!

Btw the fj is a terrible car to drive with all it's blind spots. If she can drive that she can drive anything.
Wonder if my parents were concerned about me first legally driving in the early 70's? Maybe it was because I was mostly in a 19ft long Buick!
It seems parents were not concerned about too much back in the 50's through the 70's; we were given a free rein - no leash. Or maybe we just were not paying attention to their concerns :)

Up here it is ILLEGAL to hang junk from the mirror - though I think LEO may give a pass to recent H.S. graduates for their tassels dangling and dancing there.

Now a CD and mini disco balls hanging from the mirror - I am glad those days are gone. Can you spell s-t-u-p-i-d ?

I would move that smelly tree. Originally designed to hang from the kickpanel air vent pull knob.
What's that? say the generatiion Zed :)

Last edited:
Wonder if my parents were concerned about me first legally driving in the early 70's? Maybe it was because I was mostly in a 19ft long Buick!
It seems parents were not concerned about too much back in the 50's through the 70's; we were given a free rein - no leash. Or maybe we just were not paying attention to their concerns :)

Up here it is ILLEGAL to hang junk from the mirror - though I think LEO may give a pass to recent H.S. graduates for their tassels dangling and dancing there.

Now a CD and mini disco balls hanging from the mirror - I am glad those days are gone. Can you spell s-t-u-p-i-d ?

I would move that smelly tree. Originally designed to hang from the kickpanel air vent pull knob.
What's that? say the generatiion Zed :)
It's illegal here but our police are too busy doing real police things to bother with it. I have moved it but it comes back,

Don't normally use them but the baby spilled milk in the car and the car stunk. I gutted the interior a few days ago to fix the smell. It's better but not ¹00% gone. So I got the smelly thing.

Attachments

• IMG_20231105_101007188.jpg
    IMG_20231105_101007188.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 9
I ‘ m already dead when I saw 12 year child behind the wheel. Sorry but I don’t think is responsible from you. Not talking about the fact that’s illegal or police stuff but if she makes some fatal mistake how do you live with that. Sorry again for harsh language but that I’m thinking about this case.

First manual I ever drove was a ‘96 S10 with a Nissan diesel. Very very difficult to drive despite me growing up on gear drive tractors. Wanted nothing to do with a manual vehicle.

My dad later bought his Comanche back and once I had a chance to drive that, all was good.

Taught both daughters to drive, the oldest in an automatic and my youngest in a stick, I dread when have to ride with them, all they know is FAST, quit trying to get them to slow down. :eek:

Taught both daughters to drive, the oldest in an automatic and my youngest in a stick, I dread when have to ride with them, all they know is FAST, quit trying to get them to slow down. :eek:
My son’s technique: Stomp right - Stomp left - Repeat Stomps !

Back