I changed my sisters oil today (2012 Accord)

My dad called me about a month back and said the oil life monitor was was 10% on my sisters Accord (2012 EX-L 2.4 coupe). I went ahead and purchased PP 0w20 and new style Fran Ultra filter. Well life happened and we were all busy so I didn’t get around to it today.

It went 9,134 miles on the last oil change. Ouch! At least I had Mobil 1 and a Fram Ultra installed for that run.

I figured since I already had the car and I rarely have the opportunity to do so, I would go ahead and change the transmission fluid.

I am a firm believer in Honda OEM fluid but that just wasn’t an option over the weekend. I went to get some MaxLife from Walmart as I’ve read of many Honda owners using it with success, but upon reading the bottle it’s only recommended for Z1 applications (not current DW1 spec. I purchased Castrol Transmax which is “recommended” in DW1 applications.

Oil change, trans drain and fill, cabin air filter and a wash and it’s back on the road again.

Attachments

• FCE2509F-8D24-468C-B817-788964EE9277.jpeg
    FCE2509F-8D24-468C-B817-788964EE9277.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 155
  • A5D23761-3377-4DD5-8EFE-A430817482E1.jpeg
    A5D23761-3377-4DD5-8EFE-A430817482E1.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 29ED6DA6-A271-44C3-AD4E-76C175B2C54F.jpeg
    29ED6DA6-A271-44C3-AD4E-76C175B2C54F.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 152
Maxlife does say compatible with DW1 on their PDS. They can't fit every spec on the label on the bottle :D

Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is also good stuff, too :)

My dad called me about a month back and said the oil life monitor was was 10% on my sisters Accord (2012 EX-L 2.4 coupe). I went ahead and purchased PP 0w20 and new style Fran Ultra filter. Well life happened and we were all busy so I didn’t get around to it today.

It went 9,134 miles on the last oil change. Ouch! At least I had Mobil 1 and a Fram Ultra installed for that run.

I figured since I already had the car and I rarely have the opportunity to do so, I would go ahead and change the transmission fluid.

I am a firm believer in Honda OEM fluid but that just wasn’t an option over the weekend. I went to get some MaxLife from Walmart as I’ve read of many Honda owners using it with success, but upon reading the bottle it’s only recommended for Z1 applications (not current DW1 spec. I purchased Castrol Transmax which is “recommended” in DW1 applications.

Oil change, trans drain and fill, cabin air filter and a wash and it’s back on the road again.
She has my exact same car:D

Apparently not that "firm"; j/k Good to get all that swapped out and she is g2g

Did you happen to check the oil level to see if it was low prior to the change? Great job with the preventative maintenance. Wonder if the atf was ever changed. Car looks real nice. I remember you talking about it before.

Did you happen to check the oil level to see if it was low prior to the change? Great job with the preventative maintenance. Wonder if the atf was ever changed. Car looks real nice. I remember you talking about it before.
Pictures make it look better. It’s what you would expect for a car with 215K miles on it. Not bad for sure.

Oil was down almost a quart. Closer to 3/4 quart low. I’m not sure if any make up oil was added though.

Apparently not that "firm"; j/k Good to get all that swapped out and she is g2g
I’ve never ran anything other than OEM Honda fluid until today. My thoughts in this case were clean DW1 alternative is still better than worn out OEM fluid. Next time if I can plan ahead I’ll go OEM like usual. Even the 3 quart spill and fill resulted in cleanser looking and smelling fluid. I’m sure the add pack was in need of replenishment. I can’t say it behaved much different aster the change though. Maybe a quicker engagement from drive to reverse and vice versa. Also slightly faster / more positive torque converter lock up.

I can’t say it behaved much different aster the change though. Maybe a quicker engagement from drive to reverse and vice versa.
That always happens with fresh(er) fluid in Honda automatics in my experience but it will go away within a day or two.

Aisin brand DW1 fluid ... to stay as close as possible to OEM spec.
I buy the Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent
The only commonality in Idemitsu fluid and Honda is the name. They're not equivalent or "close" to spec. Don't get me wrong, I don't care what fluid people use but I think it's disingenuous for Aisin to label/name their product "DW-1".

Back