I became a certified Car AC Tech today!

FCD

Just in time for my birthday tomorrow i just got an email saying i passed my final exam to be come a certified Car AC system technician, here in Spain you have to be a certified technician to legally be allowed to work on Car AC systems, you can't even buy refrigerant if you're not a certified tech, not like in the US where you just go to Walmart and buy some.
Although it's a rather simple course that's only 44h long, but costs 200€, at least it's lifetime and there is no need to renew it ever.

Excellent! There's going to be a lot that you're going to learn about air conditioning that they won't teach in the manual. Certain cars are going to have quirks or you have to bang on the dash a couple times with your fist. What's next on your list of things to learn and get certified on?

yeah, in the USA you need an EPA certification to handle refrigerant or someone in the shop you work at has to have one for you to work under their direction. a person can still buy 134a over the counter but only licensed people can buy the older chlorinated refrigerants.

I have the EPA 608 certification which is the universal certification for all refrigerants and it is good for life. . I took the course many years ago, thinking it was in the 90's....... so good luck.

question? does the 44 hours of training amount to any more than refrigerant handling and recovery laws or is it a repair course?

Last edited:
yeah, in the USA you need an EPA certification to handle refrigerant or someone in the shop you work at has to have one for you to work under their direction. a person can still buy 134a over the counter but only licensed people can buy the older chlorinated refrigerants.

I have the EPA 608 certification which is the universal certification for all refrigerants and it is good for life. . I took the course many years ago, thinking it was in the 90's....... so good luck.

question? does the 44 hours of training amount to any more than refrigerant handling and recovery laws or is it a repair course?
It covers almost everything from handling, recovery laws, different types of refrigerants, different types of systems and repair, a crash course if you will, but it certifies me to work on all passenger car Ac systems.

It covers almost everything from handling, recovery laws, different types of refrigerants, different types of systems and repair, a crash course if you will, but it certifies me to work on all passenger car Ac systems.
same as ours... has nothing to do with diagnosis and repair, I think the only thing I remember after all these years is a emphasis on Deminimus" and the Montreal Protocol. :)

Congrats! It will actually be nice to have someone know what they are talking about on an A/C thread.

Congratulations!

For clarity, consumers in the US can only buy a small can of R-134a. For other refrigerants, or greater amounts, you need an EPA 609 license.

In other words, you must be certified.

I got my certification two years ago. Very useful when working on older cars. Nice to be able to buy a 30lb cylinder, instead of a bunch of 12oz. Cans.

Congratulations!

For clarity, consumers in the US can only buy a small can of R-134a. For other refrigerants, or greater amounts, you need an EPA 609 license.

In other words, you must be certified.

I got my certification two years ago. Very useful when working on older cars. Nice to be able to buy a 30lb cylinder, instead of a bunch of 12oz. Cans.

I got my universal EPA 608 cert about 30 years ago. realistically unless you have a fleet of leakers :) you can buy a case of the 12ounce cans at Sams Club for seems like 40 bucks and they don't ask for your certification to sell it. Any large amount will sit on your shelf for the rest of your life..I have this unopened box of 12 ounce cans of R134a as well as a couple loose cans of the stuff...bet I have had this box for five years now.. and the loose cans I bet are 15 to 20 years old now.

IMG_0302.JPG

The USA license consists of “here is a recovery machine, you better use it, or it’s going to cost you a BUNDLE in fines”!!

yeah, recovery machine is cost of entry into the licensed auto repair field... mostly unused piece of machinery since most cars show up flat out of 134 :) or the shop just bleeds the 134 off into the atmosphere thru their gage set because no one is counting.. LOL.

Back