"I added Amsoil to my cycle, and it made it leak."

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a quote from my dad. He switched from the Honda natural oil to the Amsoil oil (same viscosity), and then the clutch seal started leaking. He blames Amsoil for it.

Any ideas why that would happen?

Troy

My thoughts troy is that amsoil has an excellent cleaning ability and when you put a full synth in where maybe dino oils have been, the dino has accumilated around the seals and then the synth tends to clean which removes this accumalation thus creating a seal leak. I think he'd had the same problem even if it had been m1 full synth.

perhaps, but I put amsoil series 2K gear lube in my trucks rear differential and the seals started leaking as well.

brand new truck with only 5K miles!

quote:

Originally posted by mikeinaustin:
perhaps, but I put amsoil series 2K gear lube in my trucks rear differential and the seals started leaking as well.

brand new truck with only 5K miles!

I've got Amsoil frot to back in my F150 no leaks, uses less than a quart in 10,000 miles.

I had Amsoil in my BMW motorcycle never any leaks, including crankcase, transmission, and rear drive.

I don't think you can blame the Amsoil anymore than it's just a freak occurance. Tell him to switch back to what he was using before!

Likely in those case ANY good synthetic would have leaked not just Amsoil.

Bob is correct, but I will add especially if the oil leak is in a new cycle/car: I guarantee you had a leak before and didn't know it, but the synthetic oil found the seal/gasket gap.

mikeinaustin, If this new truck is a GM product then it already has synthetic in it.
The incident with the motor cycle could be the classic "soft plug". The dino oil has been building up a waxy coating and drying out seal for years. The wax pluged the leakes that were casued by dry rotting of the seals due to the wax i the dino oil. Then you put synthetic in and it disolves all of the wax that has been destroying the seal. Your dad might consider adding something that will revitilize seals. He might also just leave the amsoil in and give it time to soften and swell the seals.
One other idea to consider. THe addittion of the Amsoil and the seal leak could be mutualy exclusive events. We sometimes look for a cause and effect relationship were one does not exsist. It is how or brains work. We always look for patterns and relationships. This does not always work out though.

I have been using Amsoil for five years without any problems, either. Usually these problems happen to older vehicles. Did the seal on the new truck stop leaking when you went back to dino oil?

I saw someone with a Tahoe that had leaks in the rear seals. It was the vent tube, was caked with mud and not allowing the rear axle to vent.

Check to see if the vent tube is obstructed.

Its possible they were leaking prior to installing the synthetic oil. No one ever looks to make sure there are not leaks, right? Or they know of the leaks but pay little attention till they change the oil to synthetic, then someone starts the BS take about synthetics causing oil leaks and whamo, mine is leaking and it never did before (but it really did and they won't admit it).

I have used Amsoil since 1977 and never had anything leak on me. Drove many miles and many different vehicles and none were leakers.

[ May 26, 2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

bob, if amsoil cleans seals which make them leak, why is it that auto-rx cleans seals but makes them stop leaking?

it cant be both ways!

I agree with Bob, and just add I have seen some slow leaks actually get better with synthetic oil....weird I know, but I figure the seal just swelled a tad and whammo leak stopped...

cryptokid, keep in mind there's a vast difference in the quality and even type of "synthetics" out there. PAO, esters (and different types of esters), Group III mineral oil, alkylated aromatics, etc ...
gr_eek2.gif

Something like Red Line with a LOT of esters could even reduce oil leakage by conditioning seals. My Honda Civic began consuming oil after I tried Valvoline Synpower but this consumption returned to zero after a year with Red Line. Of course, that's not a scientific test. That consumption may be more than seals.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back