Hyundai Santa Fe problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My sister owns a 2003 Santa Fe (no ABS) with about 15k miles in it and twice in the last month she has experience what seems to be a brake system problem. She describes it as like if something is preventing the vehicle from moving. When it happens, she can only go up to 20mph. There is no CEL or any other lights. The brake pedal becomes hard, like if it has lost power assistance. In both ocassions the vehicle can be driven normally after shutting down the engine and sitting for a while. It does not seem like distance/running time is a factor, since she has done several long trips without the problem occurring, but it seems to happen after the vehicle has been running for some time (never at cold start).
I have searched the Hyundai's Service site for possible recalls/TSB to no avail.
Any suggestions?

Hmmm...If she doesn't have ABS, then she doesn't have traction control, and stability control isn't offered on the current bodystyle.

Could be a stuck caliper, though that usually causes massive heat/fade, and a pedal that goes to the floor. She can check for s stuck caliper by seeing if a wheel is super-hot when the problem occurs. Don't touch the wheels, just put her hand close by to see if things are hot.

Since it's for brakes, and it's still under warranty, I think the best bet would be to take it to the dealer.

How can you not have ABS these days? Your sister is crazy and should not buy this korean made junk. My 0.02c.

quote:

Originally posted by jagxjr:
Your sister is crazy and should not buy this korean made junk. My 0.02c.

rolleyes.gif

Back on topic:

Our 03's brake system has never felt like I thought it should. It seem like you have to try "harder" than other cars to get it to stop. Hyundai has looked at it and told me there is nothing wrong. I even had them blead the system to make sure.

Let us know what you find out. I'm really interested.

Brian

quote:

Originally posted by robbobster:
Hmmm...If she doesn't have ABS, then she doesn't have traction control, and stability control isn't offered on the current bodystyle.

Well duh, I was not thinking...

jagxjr, you can have your .02 back since you apparently don't know what your talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back