Hybrid-Engine not shutting down

My Hybrid is 9 years old, about 89,000 miles. Past few weeks the engine refuses to shut down when it is coasting or sometimes even at stop sign. MPG is down also. If I hit the brakes it will go into EV mode but then it starts up again when brake releases. Obviously some chip or module, appointment is next week. Anyone ever had this happen? I fear that the cost of repair may be the death knell for this car. 2012 Lincoln MKZ ( same as the Ford Fusion Hybrid)

My Hybrid is 9 years old, about 89,000 miles. Past few weeks the engine refuses to shut down when it is coasting or sometimes even at stop sign. MPG is down also. If I hit the brakes it will go into EV mode but then it starts up again when brake releases. Obviously some chip or module, appointment is next week. Anyone ever had this happen? I fear that the cost of repair may be the death knell for this car. 2012 Lincoln MKZ ( same as the Ford Fusion Hybrid)
Just a guess, but I wonder if the main battery is fading/crashing, such that the IC engine runs most of the time. IDK what the expected longevity is of Ford's batteries in that regard. Then again, it could be it isn't getting recharged like it should, i.e., the module/chip thing you mentioned.

If you like the car, consider a replacement battery (if that is the issue) from Green Bean, for example. For Toyotas, they have a lifetime warranty and will come to you to do the replacement. Check their website, maybe in advance of the dealer visit so you have at least one other option should it point to that big battery. Ford may offer rebuilt batteries too. Keep us posted.

Just a guess, but I wonder if the main battery is fading/crashing, such that the IC engine runs most of the time. IDK what the expected longevity is of Ford's batteries in that regard. Then again, it could be it isn't getting recharged like it should, i.e., the module/chip thing you mentioned.

If you like the car, consider a replacement battery (if that is the issue) from Green Bean, for example. For Toyotas, they have a lifetime warranty and will come to you to do the replacement. Check their website, maybe in advance of the dealer visit so you have at least one other option should it point to that big battery. Ford may offer rebuilt batteries too. Keep us posted.
well.. doesn't look like Green Bean deals with Fords.....( not having any issues yet, but as the owner of an 85k mi 2013 ford hybrid... i'm interested....)
they just show :
Toyota
Lexus
GM
Honda
Nissan

Don’t fear. There is a fix.

Long story short, Ford “screwed up” and programmed these hybrids to stop being hybrids after a certain number of months. Dealers were replacing batteries and charging an arm and a leg. Consumers started making noise and they released this TSB to fix the issue.

There is also a DIY fix.

Don’t fear. There is a fix.

Long story short, Ford “screwed up” and programmed these hybrids to stop being hybrids after a certain number of months. Dealers were replacing batteries and charging an arm and a leg. Consumers started making noise and they released this TSB to fix the issue.

There is also a DIY fix.
That is a very cool solution! Hope it helps Spector!

Back