HVAC Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I need some help with the amount of freon in my safari. I recently replaced the compressor, front evaporator, and accumulator. I added the right amount of oil(I think), 48oz of freon like specd, and within a couple of days, the ac temp kept rising so I knew I had a leak. It wasn't enough to kick out the low pressure switch but I didn't know how much I had lost. To remedy the leak, I stuck on the high and low valves that come with the gauges and just closed them. Since then, the temps have been a steady 60 degree at idle, and about 52 on the interstate is the lowest I've seen.

Anyway, today I decided to add some more freon. The problem is I don't know how much to add. My problem is I don't really know everything about reading the pressures. Am I supposed to get the low and high pressure reading at idle or at 2k rpm? Before I added the freon, at idle, both front and rear fans at max, ac on max, the low side pressure was 35. I added about half a can(small one), and at idle the pressure jumped up to 56(low)/235(hi). I also took the reading at 2k rpm - 49(low)/285(hi).

All I'm going by is the chart that came with the gauges for 134a. All it says is 50-55(low)/275-300(hi) for an ambient temp of 90-100, well it was about 96 out and the van was idling in the driveway for probably 30 min.

Did I put too much freon in? I don't want to ruin the new compressor but the temps are still not as cold as my other 2 vehicles. I jumped on the interstate and it only got down to 48. I think I'm going to try and clean the condenser now with some de-greaser and see if it helps cool it down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lemme get this straight... you have an outside temp of 96 degrees, and an inside air vent discharge temp of 60 degrees and you think there is a problem?

Originally Posted By: justinf89

Did I put too much freon in? I don't want to ruin the new compressor but the temps are still not as cold as my other 2 vehicles. I jumped on the interstate and it only got down to 48. I think I'm going to try and clean the condenser now with some de-greaser and see if it helps cool it down.

Down to 48? Are you talking about air discharge temps inside? Cuz... that's really good!

Assuming that your fan clutch is working correctly and the radiator and condenser are not plugged with bugs and leaves Your overcharged. High side should be no more than 2.5x ambient temp.

100 degrees = 250 max. But with R134a the correct way to charge a system is by weight. This is why I have a $4000 machine to do Ac work with.....No guessing.

As for the leak. look at the low side line that runs to the rear evap. It's bolted to the back of the dr side head and often gets a hole rubbed in it where it passes by the block and head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back