Humanoid Robots Coming to BMW USA Factory

I fail to see how a humanoid robot is better at any job than one designed to do that job from the outset. We adapt tasks because of the form we have evolved into, not use a humanoid form because it is the best shape for the job. Weird. I could see them getting coffee or running paperwork between stations/offices or something, but the human shape sucks for singular mechanical tasks, where a dedicated robot is far superior. Maybe to fill in for people during breaks where it adapts to changing tasks...?

Uncle Floyd (Vivino) was a local New Jersey talent from the dawn of cable TV, 1974.
They did a skit on robots which addressed a symbiotic avenue for flesh and machinery.

I would like to know what the intended use is. Robots are not people. On car mfg lines, because the vehicle is a box, automation is limited. Welding robots are common, of course, but humanoid?

It's thought that advanced use of robotics and automation would require big changes to the line and the box structure.
Interesting, but the article is void of specifics. Cost is everything, but people can be retrained to do many tasks.
Even the partnership doesnt yet know what to do with this, as their first yet to be determined milestone is to figure what tasks these robots are doing.

I suspect some call options were exercised right before the announcement.

Its similar to the tesla robot. The first demo was a man in a suit mimicing an actual robot, which was a sad beyond belief. The next was some simple task actuation. Today most of the progress is still lightyears behind what the pioneers of the industry are doing.

But hey, makes for a feel good options stimulus.

This is a byproduct of inflation and the continued pressure on wage increases. On top of that robots don't call in sick, don't talk back and do what they are told (programmed) to do. It is the future folks, more automation and robots are on the way. Yes humans will still be required but less and less all the time. AI will be a big piece of this transition as well.

Just my $0.02
Inflation has little to do with it. Automation has been going on forever. Ask Henry about Highland Park...

I am interested in the dollar amounts for this. Seems financially stupid to me. How much do those robots cost a piece, $50k? And what would the cost of maintenance be? Seems cheaper to pay someone to do assembly line work.

I am interested in the dollar amounts for this. Seems financially stupid to me. How much do those robots cost a piece, $50k? And what would the cost of maintenance be? Seems cheaper to pay someone to do assembly line work.
Given that we don't even know the intended use, it's anyone's guess. But automation will continue to be used for more tasks. Assembly lines and the vehicles themselves will evolve to accommodate automation. They always have.

A leading tech company states they "build the machines that build the machine." In business, it's all about a competitive edge.

Reminds me of some of the thoughts I'm sure people had about other adaptions over the last couple hundred years. Think I remember reading about what some thought a train would do to your organs b/c it hit 40 mph. We've been building robots for a long time the only difference now is that it looks & operates more like a human does. The last thought is BMW buyers are going to pay for this. 😂

Well if BMW has anything to do with their design, there sure will have plastic parts where metal should be. And will suffer from early timing chain wear!

Keeps the repair (man/robot) busy....

Btw this reminds of a really old bmw augmented reality vid they said they were introducing in the future. Never heard anything of it after the demo.

or the BMW next generation service centers which were to 3d scan vehicles as they pulled up, so service writers and customers know exactly what needs service.

again another future tech that bmw never implemented.

Btw this reminds of a really old bmw augmented reality vid they said they were introducing in the future. Never heard anything of it after the demo.

or the BMW next generation service centers which were to 3d scan vehicles as they pulled up, so service writers and customers know exactly what needs service.

again another future tech that bmw never implemented.

Sometimes this stuff is as much as a marketing ploy as an actual process. Who knows?
To me it means nothing without detail. Why would they make it look human? Form should follow function, right?

Obligatory:
Bender_Rodriguez.jpg

Back