How to remove rusted 8mm bolt remnant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a license plate bolt break off in the Avalon I'm restoring. I just used ordinary drill bits for it - I used DeWalt hardened metal cutting drill bits from the smallest size up to the size closest to M5, and when it got to the M5, the broken bolt saw fit to back itself out of there. (I drilled from the opposite side, maybe you can't do this, just sharing my only recent experience extracting a stuck bolt. Sure to be the first of many with this car.

Thanks guys, I have been able to remove the valve from the body. Now at least I can tap from the back, as well as can drill freely(front and back)

Will see if I can take care of it tomorrow.

I tried using a punch, but had no luck. I tried drilling but it's a very slow process. Any other suggestions?

At least, now I have the part in my hand and can easily take it somewhere if there be a need.

The right drill bit makes all the difference. A dull bit will just burn out your muscles and your tool. A good bit will really quite effortlessly make short work of the broken bolt.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The right drill bit makes all the difference. A dull bit will just burn out your muscles and your tool. A good bit will really quite effortlessly make short work of the broken bolt.

Thanks, do you have any suggestions? I am still stuck with it
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: HangFire
You already got two drill bit brand/type recommendations, why are you still asking?

Apologies, I have picked up various bits of Milwaukee brand Cobalt bits for hard metal and will give them a go too. I hope they'll work. Thanks for all the help and advice
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back