How to Refit Speakers that use Rivets

Is that the OEM Infiniti speakers on the Genesis Coupe? If so, I believe they are 2 ohm and not the standard 4 ohm, so it will be difficult to get a drop in speaker for that. Also, no guarantees that it will sound good because the OEM headunit is specifically tuned for the properties of that driver.

These days, OEM systems are all integrated to work together so doing upgrades is a PITA and not usually just a simply drop in.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
That's a high quality driver. Why replace it ? Somebody go nuts with the volume and toast the VC or the x-over cap?

Just take a bolt or machine screw, and put epoxy on the head and insert it from the back side off the door. and let it set up.

Yes, you can get your hand in that gaping hole where the driver was..

Now you have a stud to use a nut/washer combo from the front side..

Use threadlocker and don't over torque the nut

This is easy I must have missed something along the thread....

They were rattling like crazy. No issues related to volume...just an 8 year old vehicle with 150k miles that has spent its entire life in Texas gulf coast heat and humidity. Turned out the the adhesive holding the spider in place completely failed. Glued it back and it was good to go. If I had to replace them, I was just going to buy factory replacements.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nobb
Is that the OEM Infiniti speakers on the Genesis Coupe? If so, I believe they are 2 ohm and not the standard 4 ohm, so it will be difficult to get a drop in speaker for that. Also, no guarantees that it will sound good because the OEM headunit is specifically tuned for the properties of that driver.

These days, OEM systems are all integrated to work together so doing upgrades is a PITA and not usually just a simply drop in.

If I needed new ones, I was just going to buy factory replacements from Hyundai. They're available for about $60 if need be.

I was able to fix the original speaker though. The adhesive holding the spider in place failed. I glued it back and it sounds fine now. Just need to do the other three door speakers because those are making the same rattling sound.

Back