How to find a longer wearing tire

I have a 2010 Honda Pilot that is due for its 4th set of tires at about 115k miles. The OE GY Fortera lasted about 30k, the replacement Michelin LTX M/S lasted about 50k and the Cooper Discoverer SRX that I have on there now are ready for replacement at 30k. Tire size is 245/65 R17. They aren't to the wear bars, but they won't work for another winter. Obviously I'm not putting miles on in a hurry. Mostly suburban Chicago with the occasional road trip. One way to look at it is that I'm replacing tires every 4th oil change. Is there a specification that would correlate to longer wearing tires on this beast? Load range? UTQG? The simple and obvious solution is to just buy Michelins again, but if I can identify a tire that will last closer to 50k than 30k for less $$, that would be the goal. That said, it does get rainy and snowy here, so just getting a hard tread compound that will leave me sliding around isn't ideal either. Any ideas?

I owned (still maintain) a 2008 Pilot. If I got 40k out of tires, it was a good run. Just the nature of a heavy SUV, perhaps. I'd on the side of better tread and softer compound vs. long mileage.

Heavy vehicle in the 'burbs. Sounds like the nature of the beast to me. Personally I'd be afraid to change and be disappointed in traction or ride.

BFG Advantage T/A Sport is an all season 70k tire (should do 40k to 50k) …

BFG Advantage T/A Sport is an all season 70k tire (should do 40k to 50k) …
This is what the Tire Rack says about that tire in there own test:
  • What We'd Improve: Could use a sizable improvement in wet traction. Not the best tire for spirited drivers.

I usually get on TireRack, and look for the highest UTQG number, and then work my way down, taking price and customer reviews into consideration. I don't necessarily buy the tire with the highest UTQG, but find a compromise between wear and performance rating. My sister insists on putting Michelins on her Highlander, because they're Michelins, and they're gone before 30,000, but she drives it like a car.

The longest lasting tires I have seen to date are Uniroyal Tigerpaw and Sumitomo, both all seasons. Last forever without dry-rotting (like Michelin for example) and stay quiet and smooth for the whole duration of ownership, About 50k-60k miles in my experience.

It may be in part your location.

I always remember the witty comment of a fellow frequent flyer at O'Hare years ago.

While on a bus stuck in a detoured traffic jam on a hot summer day from the terminal to the rental car area, he said:

"There are 2 seasons in Chicago - winter and construction" :giggle:

Some of the worst roads anywhere.

Last edited:
Tires are only good for 6 years after you install them, so you don't need a hard high-mileage tire if you won't drive 50k in 6 years

Do you use separate tires for winter? If not, consider a 3-peak all-season tire

Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring was one of the worst rated all season tires in Consumer Reports 2019 used car buying guide, and Sumitomo was even worse. The Tiger Paws wore reasonably long, 70,000 miles. The problem was their wet breaking was terrible compared to the others. Snow traction, just average. The only two tires worse than those two were a Milestar and a Westlake. Defender LTX M/S was in the top 5, only the top 5 were recommended, it averaged 85,000 miles. Coming in 3rd was Firestone Destination LE2 but it has limited fitment. It would not fit any of my cars. It does however fit your Pilot. $161.61 each at Tire Rack.

I have to tell you though, I am runing the Michelin X LT on my Gen 1 Tundra, which is the Sam's Club brand of Defender LTX M/S. Mine are track for 75,000 miles wear. Are your tires wearing evenly? I realize some vehicles are harder on tires.

• What We'd Improve: Could use a sizable improvement in wet traction. Not the best tire for spirited drivers.
I think that tire only has a "B" traction rating.

But... in the same comparison, " Driving in winter conditions, the BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT paid back its moderate tradeoff in wet traction by delivering the best snow acceleration and braking traction of the test group, along with good cornering capability. "

So, that benefit would come in handy for lake effect snow.

What about a General Grabber HTS 60?

The Grabber HTS 60 is General Tire's Highway All-Season tire developed for the drivers of crossover and sport utility vehicles, as well as pickup trucks and full-size vans. Designed to combine style, comfort, durability and performance, Grabber HTS 60 tires blend pleasant road manners, a long life and year-round all-season traction, even in light snow.

UTQG- 680

I am surprised that no one pointed out that the UTQG rating includes a treadwear rating.

However, the UTQG rating have a quirk in that the tire manufacturer can't OVERstate the value, but they can UNDERstate it. Some. like Michelin, tend to be conservative, so they understate them, but some, like Cooper, are pretty aggressive. That seems to line up with the OP's experience

So I would recommend going to Tire Rack's website and sorting by UTQG rating. Maybe there is something else that meets your fancy.

I am surprised that no one pointed out that the UTQG rating includes a treadwear rating.

However, the UTQG rating have a quirk in that the tire manufacturer can't OVERstate the value, but they can UNDERstate it. Some. like Michelin, tend to be conservative, so they understate them, but some, like Cooper, are pretty aggressive. That seems to line up with the OP's experience

So I would recommend going to Tire Rack's website and sorting by UTQG rating. Maybe there is something else that meets your fancy.

I just bought tires for the cx-5. Thats what i did, compared tire wear ratings. Went with Hankook Kinergy 737 UTQG treadwear rating 860

One thing about that, is are those number most useful within a give tire brand line up?

Or is it helpful across brands. Somehow i thought they were most useful for within a given product line as compared to each other?

I wondered about that. It is consistent with what I've found

get an alignment?
but it just might be heavy city driving /turns wearing them faster.

One thing about that, is are those number most useful within a given tire brand line up?

Or is it helpful across brands. Somehow i thought they were most useful for within a given product line as compared to each other?
Here's the deal.

The UTQG ratings have to be based on tests. The treadwear rating is based on a test conducted on the highways around San Angelo, TX. The tire has to be compared to a control tire (The SRTT - Standard Reference Test Tire - a formerly Uniroyal design, that uses certified materials so the test results are consistent over time)

The test is expensive to run, so to reduce costs most tire manufacturers contract with a local company to conduct the test - along with many other companies - against a single set of controls. This company then reports the results and each tire manufacturer interprets the results. Some are conservative - like Michelin who think that the UTQG implies a warranty - and some are aggressive - like Cooper who think they need to report the highest value they can to be competitive.

Then there is the issue of how marketing wants to use the results. For example, if a company wants to have a Good/Better/Best set up, they might want the UTQG rating to be 500/600/800. But manufacturing says that if they produce the Good and Better using the same tread compound, they can save a ton of money, the company might downgrade the Good to meet their marketing position.

So the UTQG ratings are NOT the direct result from a test, but the UTQG ratings CAN be compared WITHIN a given company and BETWEEN companies, keeping in mind that your own results could be better than the rating suggests. (I know this may be difficult to keep straight!)

Also, most tire wear occurs during cornering - driving straight ahead is practically free!! Driving in the city wears tires quickly while driving in the country wears tires slowly, so there will be a HUGE! difference from the same make/model tire just because of where you drive.

That makes this whole thing messy and difficult to understand. Sorry, but that is just the way it is.

Back