How to cut down on stereo speaker Hiss....

It would be very strange for a streaming service to be "hissy." When you play a YouTube video (the sound from it), does it sound hissy as well?

Turn the volume on the phone all the way up, unless that causes distortion, then turn it up as far as you can without distortion. Control the volume with the main volume knob on the amp.

This was a tried and true way to deal with car problems in my dads time, only with the radio

Just as an FYI, the class D amps used in many self-powered speakers are noisy. As posted above, get the input into the speaker as loud as practical, and then the hiss in the amp won't be amplified by the speaker's volume control, as much.

Run a temporary ground for the Onkyo, at least to see the affect it might have. (extra ground to the outlet or any other possibilities) I know the Android might be difficult but any metal that you can touch might tell you something.

Different receiver with better sound quality amp?

I can only relate it the car stereo amps I have done. I swapped some OLD Kenwoods for newer, more efficient, more power Alpine ones. The HISS, noise floor was immediate. I hated them. Sold them and went back to the old Kenwoods. Son's car we got a lower model JL Audio amp, same thing. It lost a channel and we put the old Kenwoods in (they were in my Sonata). He said the same thing, much better for the transitions etc.

My daughters CRV I bought an AudioControl amp mainly based on that spec of low noise. It's VERY nice and quite with plenty of power for her.

I recall the Dolby and THX certifications from way back as part of those things for the home audio.

Its likely from the bluetooth itself. If phone has headphone jack try a headphone jack to rca cable to connect.

when not using advanced codecs (apt x) basic bluetooth was for talking on the phone its not great for high fidelity music.

for example IF I connect my s23 ultra to my soundbar with bluetooth I get "hiss and lower quality" vs playing music from the TV.. connected with hdmi
It sounds shockingly bad.

Pandora has heavy compression especially on the free account. Compensating by having the device volume at 7/8ths - maximum and then using amplifier volume to balance out may work. if this is an amplifier with built in Bluetooth there could be input or a gain volume that could be adjusted accordingly lastly check device audio settings or Pandora playback settings. Try enabling higher audio playback.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231125-044005.jpg
    Screenshot_20231125-044005.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1
Back