How to cut down on stereo speaker Hiss....

I have an Onkyo TSX-R353 and a pair of Infinity SM125 speakers. When I play music from Pandora from my cell phone I can hear speaker hiss. It connects via Bluetooth. It's not very loud, but I'd rather get rid of it, or at least minimize it as much as possible.

do you get the same hiss if its connected with head phone jack?
standard bluetooth is exactly a HQ experience.. due to various causes such as signal interference.

I have an Onkyo TSX-R353 and a pair of Infinity SM125 speakers. When I play music from Pandora from my cell phone I can hear speaker hiss. It connects via Bluetooth. It's not very loud, but I'd rather get rid of it, or at least minimize it as much as possible.
Is the hiss constant or volume dependent? How high is the volume knob on the receiver when you hear the hiss?

Do you hear that hiss with other music sources?

Is the hiss constant or volume dependent? How high is the volume knob on the receiver when you hear the hiss?

Do you hear that hiss with other music sources?
I really don't listen to other sources. I just turned it on and Pandora playing, and it's definitely the stereo volume knob that raises or lowers the hiss. It a very minor but steady, constant hiss. Doesn't fluctuate on it's own.

I really don't listen to other sources. I just turned it on and Pandora playing, and it's definitely the stereo volume knob that raises or lowers the hiss. It a very minor but steady, constant hiss. Doesn't fluctuate on it's own.
You dont provide us enough information to get to a definitive answer.. there are still multiple possibilities.

I tried tuner without antenna hooked up, no signal came in and i cranked it up all the way like that and no hiss. I don't have a cd player hooked up at the moment.

Turn the volume on the phone all the way up, unless that causes distortion, then turn it up as far as you can without distortion. Control the volume with the main volume knob on the amp.
It's the stereo volume knob that determines hiss. I tried phone and it didn't affect it

It's the stereo volume knob that determines hiss. I tried phone and it didn't affect it
The point is that with the phone turned up high, you won't have to turn the stereo up as much to reach the desired volume, thus there will be less hiss.

The point is that with the phone turned up high, you won't have to turn the stereo up as much to reach the desired volume, thus there will be less hiss.
Dave, This is literally the answer to the title "how to cut down on noise"

you turn the source volume up (phone)
which lets you leave the receiver volume lower for less hiss.

if you were already doing that.. then you are outta luck.
you could also try plugging the phone in with headphone jack vs bluetooth.. it might have less hiss.

You dont say but if you have music such as unremastered 70's that might be partially to blame (background noise)

you could also try plugging the phone in with headphone jack vs bluetooth.. it might have less hiss.

You dont say but if you have music such as unremastered 70's that might be partially to blame (background noise)
Mainly classical music. I like to hear the variety of instruments.

This is correct. Phone doesn't raise hiss. Now, if i use stereo volume , is there anything that can cut down some hiss? If not, oh well. Thanks to all who inputted info.

This is correct. Phone doesn't raise hiss. Now, if i use stereo volume , is there anything that can cut down some hiss? If not, oh well. Thanks to all who inputted info.

Try a different bluetooth receiver connected to the aux-in, maybe?

Assuming you are using the built-in bluetooth and it has some problem or design defect causing the hiss.

Back