How-to Confirm a Failed ADBV?

My HEMI engine developed a nasty rattle at cold start-up. The rattle lasts for about 2 seconds.

I am hopeful this noise is caused by a faulty ADBV. The current filter is a Genuine Mopar MO-339 with 1600 miles on it. If I dissect this filter after removal, is there a way to confirm the faulty ADBV?

If you have a nasty rattle at cold start, for about two seconds, that right there is a good confirmation of a failed ADBV.

Swap the filter and see. That's all. No need for an oleaginous dissection. It may or may not show anything, anyway.

Is the filter mounted straight up and down? If it is you could use a filter that doesn't even have an adbv and it wouldn't matter. More likely you're experiencing the infamous hemi lifter rattle

Is the filter mounted straight up and down? If it is you could use a filter that doesn't even have an adbv and it wouldn't matter. More likely you're experiencing the infamous hemi lifter rattle
It is mounted straight up.

shouldnt it be "Cold" startup.. California temps.

Can you record it? Plenty of people on here with hemi experience.

shouldnt it be "Cold" startup.. California temps.

Can you record it? Plenty of people on here with hemi experience.
It sounds exactly like this:

This is my first time using a 0W-20 - not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I previously ran M1 and 5W-20's....never heard this noise until now.

No ADBV would let all the oil back into the pan no matter how it is mounted, gravity wins every time.
If the filter is mounted threads up how is the oil going to leave the filter? The oe filter specc'ed for one of my cars doesn't come with an adbv because of how it is mounted.

Here is how to check is a ADBV is working, and this is observed in my 6.0 LS engine that is in the vertical position. Place a pan underneath the filter. Unscrew the filter. If the ADBV is working a copious amount of oil will drain out. You can even catch the oil in a measuring device like a yogurt container. This oil was previously stored up in oil galleries of the engine and the ADBV was working. If it didn’t work, oil would drain back from the galleries, through the filter and back to the oil pan. Even though the pump is a positive displacement pump, oil will leak back past the rotor.

Last edited:
If the filter is mounted threads up how is the oil going to leave the filter? The oe filter specc'ed for one of my cars doesn't come with an adbv because of how it is mounted.
This is asked a lot ... and the post after yours tells the reason why a functioning ADBV helps regardless of how the oil filter is orientated.

Put on a FRAM Ultra, see if the noise goes away. My Expedition had wicked start-up noise with a Fleetguard on it (nitrile valve) but was quiet with an EaO or FL-820S.

This is my first time using a 0W-20 - not sure if this has anything to do with it.
Maybe the 0W-20 is leaking down at the chain tensioner(s) or hydraulic lifters, even if the filter ADBV is working. You have two possible causes ... oil filter, or oil ... or maybe a combo of both.

Maybe the 0W-20 is leaking down at the chain tensioner(s) or hydraulic lifters, even if the filter ADBV is working. You have two possible causes ... oil filter, or oil ... or maybe a combo of both.
Why would 0W-20 leak down but not 5W-20?

Why would 0W-20 leak down but not 5W-20?
When the oil cools back down to room temperature, 0W will a a bit more viscous then 5W ... but probably wouldn't matter.

Question for the OP is, how long does the engine have to sit to get the start-up noise? And does it now happen on every single cold start-up?

Back