How to Clean Headlight plug from Wire Harness

Status
Not open for further replies.
'99 Land Rover Discovery II. Just bought it, and I have corrosion in the female connector that plugs into the back of the H4 bulb. Any advice on how to clean that out? I could snip it off and solder in a replacement, but I like to avoid any wire splicing unless necessary. The bulb is dim as a result of this not making a good contact.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Originally Posted By: typ901
Thanks. I will pick some up!

Oh, just so you know, you might still find it in CRC's older red, white and black label. If so, it'll look like the one shown here... CRC QD Electronic Cleaner

Thanks again. DOes this require any scrubbing to break out the corrosion...You can clearly see the build-up in the socket.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Thanks again. DOes this require any scrubbing to break out the corrosion...You can clearly see the build-up in the socket.

This is one of those situations that gets a definite "maybe". A little scrub with a cheap nylon toothbrush wouldn't hurt. They're a lot easier to find at a WalMart, as opposed to an Ace Hardware, and the QD will no doubt be cheaper, too.
grin2.gif

It has been my experience that contact cleaner is overrated, people expect it to do what it cannot.

AFAIK, contact cleaner is nothing more than a degreaser.

Getting to the OP's problem, the only thing to do is to mechanically clean out the corrosion with a pick of some sort and then use air to blow out as much corrosion as you can. Often times there is no alternative to replacing the terminal.

GB Ox-Gard antioxidant paste electrical joint compound (or an equal product from other makers) will chemically clean the contacts if they aren't too heavily corroded. Use the smallest possible quantity; this paste is conductive. Buy this at any hardware store or electrical supply store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back