how to add inline fuel filter late model vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't bother. Their are a ton of these trucks cruising along happily with no inline filter.

If you have injector problems you are pumping some really [censored] fuel into the tank. I recommend going to better gas stations. Some rural ones can have really bad tanks.

Guess I don't get it. The concern is the condition of the fuel system because you bought it used. The proposed solution is to hack into fuel lines and put in a cheap fuel filter.

The real solution if you are concerned about crud in the tank/clogged filter is to drop the tank, clean it all out, and replace the pump/filter.

If the existing filter was clogged, you'd be having fuel pressure issues and prematurely wearing out the fuel pump as well. Adding another filter to that setup sounds like a great solution...

There is nothing to get. Add 3 filters that should really clear it up.
18.gif

If I ever have to change my fuel pump... whilst I have the bed off (easier than dropping the tank), I'm going to cut a section out right above the gas tank and wield in a lip so I can bolt that section back in place.

That way, I'll have easy access to the fuel pump... and while I'm at it, I'll probably remove the "sock" fuel filter on the fuel pump and install and inline fuel filter which is going to filter the fuel way way better than the sock.

Just because GM does not put an inline fuel filter in place does not mean what they created cannot be improved upon. All car manufacturers build things for their convenience concerning cost, manufacturing, AND... they design their stuff to not last too long cause they don't want to work themselves out of a job

The 2001 (possibly 2002) and earlier versions of your truck should have a filter on the frame rail. I don't know how the plumbing compares, but maybe you could retrofit with junkyard or replacement lines.

The truck I'm referring to is a 2009 and there is no external fuel filter at all.

Many of the later model vehicles use a returnless fuel system to cut down on on emissions so the only filter is the "sock" at the bottom of the fuel pump inside the tank which probably only catches particles down to 12 to 15 microns which is pretty poor filtration.

By adding an inline filter, at least the fuel will be cleaner going up to the injectors.

On the other hand, most of these vehicles will probably make it to 200k without any issues so it may not even matter.

Been there, done that.

In-tank fuel filters are good at doing exactly what they were designed to do: Get the vehicle through its warranty period. They're screens designed only to keep big junk out of the pump itself.

Less than perfect fuel is a fact of life. Especially for a person who travels outside of the beaten path, choosing familiar fuel stations is simply not a choice.

The poor fuel filtration should not, and does not cause complete fuel system failure. It just causes injectors to operate poorly, which is something most people never do anything about.

An OEM addressing their pathetic filtration is something that is not heard of much outside of the diesel engine world. Gasoline engines are far more forgiving to dirty injectors. They just cause drivability issues for the most part. They rarely result in engine destruction. But the fact is, OEMs have been caught with their pants down on this topic.

The idea that an inline fuel filter is going to cause undue restriction is ridiculous. There are very few fuel systems that will ever expose a fuel pump to open flow volumes. I've used inline filters in fuel systems that have to pump gallons per minute. The filter simply needs to be selected for the flow of the system.

Every single automotive engine marinized for marine use has an inline fuel filter, and surprise! They live long and happy lives.

On our Cummins engines, we add not only one additional fuel filter, but two inline filters (2 micron CAT filter, and filtering water separator) on top of our stock dual-media filters, and no injector death occurs with our far more sensitive injectors.

Since I always have cases of spares around, I use Volvo Penta Marine 6-micron spin-on fuel filters on the appropriate filter heads. Nice thing is, they are water separators too.

Of course, whenever I feel like it, I can just get under, spin the old one off and spin a new one on.

Flow? No problem feeding a 400+HP V8 engine, running at 4000+rpm for hours on end.

Filtration? I've pulled old VP filters off of engines that were running fuel so saturated with contaminants that rust was caked up on the base plate. Clean side however, was perfectly spotless as were injectors.

It's not rocket science. Just cut your stock fuel lines, flare a little, and use appropriate sized hose to connect to appropriate sized fitting on the filter head. Same way it's done when going CAT filters on a diesel truck.

Your mechanic is simply exercising good judgement.

Originally Posted By: Rockrz
If I ever have to change my fuel pump... whilst I have the bed off (easier than dropping the tank), I'm going to cut a section out right above the gas tank and wield in a lip so I can bolt that section back in place.

That way, I'll have easy access to the fuel pump... and while I'm at it, I'll probably remove the "sock" fuel filter on the fuel pump and install and inline fuel filter which is going to filter the fuel way way better than the sock.

Just because GM does not put an inline fuel filter in place does not mean what they created cannot be improved upon. All car manufacturers build things for their convenience concerning cost, manufacturing, AND... they design their stuff to not last too long cause they don't want to work themselves out of a job

You plan to remove the inline sock and install a filter externally? If so, the fuel pump will NOT thank you for that. A very poor solution to a problem that really doesn't exist. Ask SteveSRT8 how ineffective those systems really are in GM vehicles.

Nah, I'll leave the sock in place... but the fact remains that a good quality inline fuel filter will filter the fuel way, way, WAY better than they little sockie in the tank.

It's going to help the rest of the fuel system to have the inline filter.

So far, oabama has not issues an executive order forbidding installation of inline fuel filters, so I'm all good to go!

Do you have any supporting data that says the design or filtration level of the sock wasn't changed when they dropped the external filer?

Yes... it's a sock!

No matter how you slice it... a good quality inline filter will clean the fuel better than this sock so if you want scientific proof go study the science behind fuel filters.

We live in the information age so I'm sure you can search the net and find some white papers and scientific evidence from research that has been done if you are really interested in learning more.

Besides, even the best "socks" are going to get dirty eventually and will need to be cleaned as they lose their filtration so an inline fuel filter will help keep the rest of the system clean. It's a no brainer.

Last edited:
The truck I'm referring to is a 2009 and there is no external fuel filter at all.

Many of the later model vehicles use a returnless fuel system to cut down on on emissions so the only filter is the "sock" at the bottom of the fuel pump inside the tank which probably only catches particles down to 12 to 15 microns which is pretty poor filtration.

By adding an inline filter, at least the fuel will be cleaner going up to the injectors.

On the other hand, most of these vehicles will probably make it to 200k without any issues so it may not even matter.

Just to clarify, I was responding to the original poster.

If a guy was going to retrofit his truck with a filter, DoubleWasp's idea of a spin-on filter would really be the way to go. That way you don't have to undo fuel lines each time, which is something of a pain on the earlier trucks that have filters.

That leaves a good question... where can one find a kit to add a spin on fuel filter inline and what is a good brand/model of spin on fuel filter?

I got room under my truck to bolt something like this on to the frame and I'd probably want to build some sort of shield to protect it from getting hit by debris.

Yes... it's a sock!

No matter how you slice it... a good quality inline filter will clean the fuel better than this sock so if you want scientific proof go study the science behind fuel filters.

We live in the information age so I'm sure you can search the net and find some white papers and scientific evidence from research that has been done if you are really interested in learning more.

Besides, even the best "socks" are going to get dirty eventually and will need to be cleaned as they lose their filtration so an inline fuel filter will help keep the rest of the system clean. It's a no brainer.

Evidently you haven't seen the sock on a modern pump. It's more than just a screen- they are now multi layered filters.

Also, you have it backwards- as a filter, any filter loads up, it doesn't lose it's ability to filter, it gains it. In other words, it becomes more efficient. That's why an overloaded fuel filter can restrict the flow to the point that engine performance suffers and/or the fuel pump dies. Now I know what you're thinking... a sock will too- well yes, but with the returnless systems the fuel isn't cycled through the filter anywhere near as much, therefore increasing it's life.

Do what you want- just be accurately informed about your decision and what you will or will not gain.

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
Originally Posted By: Rocko1

So after everyone telling you not to do it you are going to anyway?

yup

Me too, and you weren't even talking to me.

You guys are Opinion Formers!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Yes... it's a sock!

Evidently you haven't seen the sock on a modern pump. It's more than just a screen- they are now multi layered filters.

Also, you have it backwards- as a filter, any filter loads up, it doesn't lose it's ability to filter, it gains it. In other words, it becomes more efficient. That's why an overloaded fuel filter can restrict the flow to the point that engine performance suffers and/or the fuel pump dies. Now I know what you're thinking... a sock will too- well yes, but with the returnless systems the fuel isn't cycled through the filter anywhere near as much, therefore increasing it's life.

Do what you want- just be accurately informed about your decision and what you will or will not gain.

The sock in my Navigator's tank was about the same thing as I've been seeing in Fords since the 90's.

Worse than that was there was dirt actually trapped inside of the sock.

I personally have little faith in them, having seen quite a few broken or otherwise compromised on vehicles with less than 100k miles over the years.

I think that's probably something more related to time in existence than miles of usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back