How should I finish this rock wall?

I moved all these rocks into place to keep this embankment from caving into the driveway. My question is do I need to shovel in any fine p gravel? Also would it be beneficial for me to mortar around the rocks or would that just crack with time?
0630231610.jpg

It is unlikely the rock will hold much back unfortunately, though it will help some. Mortar will help with water not free flowing onto drive. Without an interlocking retaining wall, problem will persist. If you rent a jumping jack tamp and tamp the ground, plant grass, it will help.
You need a bunch of rocks. And as much work as that was do do, the ground you are trying to stop is much heavier than those rocks.

Are there rocks in a "trench" or just sitting on top of the ground? If in a "trench" it will hold much better. You have to think about the weight you are holding back.

Hope this helps

Why not make a dry stone wall? Very attractive. No mortar. No cost. And if it deteriorates, you just rebuild it.

I built a 2 level dry stone wall at least 3' high supporting a slope. Look up a few videos.

Also include plants having a strong root system to stabilize the slope above.

I installed 7-8 inch river rock on a short hill face to control erosion. I didn't do it as a wall but rather a 2-3 rock deep cover on the entire hill face. It works great to control erosion. The biggest problems I have are grass and weeds growing between the rocks and my grandsons flipping the rocks to find snakes.

Mortar would help a little but soon it will crack and will start falling apart especially if you have freezing temps in the winter. Plus you should look in to drainage behind the wall and where would all the water coming down the hill go to?
Leave it like that until you are ready to do proper retaining wall. I would say

As an owner of a pudding stone wall, avoid; the 2nd law to thermodynamics being what it is.
I agree. That's why I suggest un-mortared rocks. No mortar to crack. And if it slumps, taking it apart won't become a big performance, and you rebuild only that area.

Vegetation having good roots may be the most important thing. Stabilize that slope.

I wouldn’t mortar it. If I was that concerned, or perhaps if this one as-is doesn’t pan out (it may hold fine and not be an issue), I’d then consider a dry wall of flatter rocks layered. Not sure what the “rock supply” on your property looks like. In ancient glacier covered areas often lots of good rocks can be found. In other places not necessarily and you’ll need to buy some.

Looks a lot like the lake shorelines up in Wisconsin. They are trying to prevent erosion on the lake side but they use some weed barrier or something and stack field stones. It lasts a long time without any mortar. I agree that you should start the wall in a trench though so it doesn’t get pushed out onto the driveway.

Back