How serious is "Filter Switching" in the business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN

Verses what? The shade tree mechanics on BITOG? Gotta love the attitude against those who perform services on behalf of those who for whatever reasons do not want to do it themselves......

I feel like almost every single one of your posts has been negative towards the members of this forum lately. So people on here like to DIY, so what?

Many of us have reasons we distrust auto mechanics. I agree 100% that not all of them are bad. I know plenty of good mechanics, but auto repair has to be pretty high up on the list of services people are uneasy about, particularly dealerships.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I ask you if you would like a Motorcraft or ACDelco and you say "sure". That "upsell" actually hurts the sales because of overhead. Yes it was more expensive but we get those Fram Cors so cheap. Also most AcDelco or Motorcraft oil filters are 3.97. We refund you the cost of the Fram (around 2.12? IIRC). So that "upsell" only costed the customer about $2, and we lost a bit of money. At the same time IDC since Walmart makes more than enough $$$ and I know that those filters are better, that the customer will be happy from an engine repair.

So what is so wrong with the Fram that a tearing Motorcraft will solve? And don't say the [censored] answer of "cardboard endcaps". Does it not filter the same? Does it contain less filter media, what?

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I ask you if you would like a Motorcraft or ACDelco and you say "sure". That "upsell" actually hurts the sales because of overhead. Yes it was more expensive but we get those Fram Cors so cheap. Also most AcDelco or Motorcraft oil filters are 3.97. We refund you the cost of the Fram (around 2.12? IIRC). So that "upsell" only costed the customer about $2, and we lost a bit of money. At the same time IDC since Walmart makes more than enough $$$ and I know that those filters are better, that the customer will be happy from an engine repair.

So what is so wrong with the Fram that a tearing Motorcraft will solve? And don't say the [censored] answer of "cardboard endcaps". Does it not filter the same? Does it contain less filter media, what?
Cardboard end caps?

Originally Posted By: RichardS
Walmart TLE has never given me pause when I've gone there for service. Too many corporate lawyers keeping them on their toes.

However, I almost universally distrust franchise chains, or regional companies that provide preventative auto maint.

+1 on both points.

Dealers, QuickLane seem to use decent filters. The Goodyear tire places seem to be the worst offenders. Caught the guy not putting a new oil filter when my dad's car was getting new tires. Plus it kind of looked like he took a different "used" filter from the ones in the catch tray. Plus one of the guys on here sent me a PM about how the GY tire shops would pour some used oil into the new oil tanks to stretch the supply. Plus the nice guy doing the work above immediately switched his nice attitude to a sour one.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
If Walmart Express Lube already uses the cheapest oil filter on the planet (SuperTech filter), then what could they switch it to that would be worse? They don't sell or handle Purolators at least (the worst).
Are you talking about switching to an undersize oil filter that still screws on? That has happened.

Dude...Super Tech has been GONE for a few years now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back