How picky are you when brewing coffee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Start coffee pot filling with filtered water from tap,
start coffee grinder with homeroasted beans.
dump old grinds..rinse
pour water into coffee maker
turn on coffee maker
put filter into basket dump coffee in.
place basket onto coffeemaker with 20s so water dont go all over.

takes about 45sec

Technivorm moccamaster coffee pot
breville smart gringer

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greenjp
Originally Posted By: Swift
I don't have time for picky.

Water + 1.5 min in microwave + 2 Tsp Tasters Choice = Coffee.

That brew is no more coffee than Tang is orange juice
grin.gif

I like Tang.

I have a Capresso coffee maker that has a built-in grinder. Load in the beans (usually 8 O'clock brand), and it grinds them and makes the coffee automatically. It's getting worn out and I am wondering how much longer it has until it dies, but it makes good coffee.

So, you don't need to grind in a separate step. Once I got used to fresh-ground beans, I didn't like ground coffee so much anymore.

Originally Posted By: greenjp
I don't have time for picky.

Water + 1.5 min in microwave + 2 Tsp Tasters Choice = Coffee.

That brew is no more coffee than Tang is orange juice
grin.gif

I like Tang.

That's cool, just don't call it orange juice
wink.gif

glum, check with Capresso, you may be able to get some replacement parts. Capresso machines are made to be repairable vs. replaceable. I have their drip coffee maker and burr grinder and noted both came with catalogues of replacement parts.

jeff

Originally Posted By: JOD
I used to be really picky about water, until I moved to Seattle. My water now comes from a natural aquifer (Cedar River) right to my tap. It's literally like having bottled water come out of the tap (and I installed a new water line from the street in the last 10 years, so there's no funkiness there either).

It makes it difficult to drink tap water when I'm anywhere else.

See, another benefit to moving out here!

I've gone to French press exclusively--portion control! Otherwise, I'll drink too much...

I hope it comes from the source and not from downriver. You know how people live along that stretch from the source, all the way down to Renton?

I use a small digital postal scale to measure coffee. I put into the filter .5 to 1 oz of specialty coffee (most of the time), and the rest is Folgers up to 1.8 to 2 oz for a 12 cup pot. For me the big bugaboo is consistency. The scale takes about 5 seconds longer to reach for and hit the button while I'm getting the rest of the coffee out of the cupboard.

I lock and load the coffee pot before I got to bed so that it's ready for me when I drag myself downstairs to start the day.

All is well on the coffee front.

2 heaping "coffee scoops" (what I believe is equal to 2 tbsp.) of Master Chef or Great Value Coffee (arabica, or Columbian, don't matter to me, all tastes the same...), 4 cups of ice cold filtered water out of the frige (no, I don't follow the 6 oz. = 1 cup stuff, I guess I like my coffee a little watered down lol...?).

That's it.....and I'm off
smile.gif

So yea, my "4 cups" of water usually brings the decanter/carafe (whatever they call it...lol) to the "6 cup" line. But I drink larger than normal cups of coffee
smile.gif

I got an airtight container (made in USA by World Kitchen headquartered an hour away) for my coffee (roasted an hour away the other way). First it came out of the fridge, now it's sitting in its tin on the counter. Once that container's dry, it'll go into the container so the aromatics are sealed in better.

4 cup drip maker,dollar tree white filter,2 heaped teaspoons coffee mix(right now a viet hazelnut-pur'eh-shade grown blend),usually a few shakes of ground cinnamon.
Although in winter i'll break out the stove top percolator,as an earlier poster said it tastes better.Just takes longer.
Wake, walk to kitchen, hit the start button go fire up the computer,wash face etc wander back to the kitchen ,fix mug of coffee.

I'm not picky at all when it comes to coffee.

Before I go to bed, I dump 10 spoon fulls of coffee (Yuban or Dunkin Donuts if it's on sale) into a paper filter, pour 10 cups worth of water from the tap into the coffee maker, and turn on the delay brew setting.

At 5:30am, I have a carafe full of hot coffee to greet me as I get out of the shower. It's enough coffee for my wife and myself to have a mug full over breakfast and to fill my thermos for work.

I can't tell the difference between "good" coffee and what I drink, so it's really not worth spending extra money or putting more effort into he process.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The only advantage of Keurig is convenient, but coffee tasted like water and cost per cup is expensive.

I actually find the coffee quite good. And it is always fresh.

May be because I like very strong coffee, actually I mostly drink double shot Espresso or Cappuccino, therefore most coffee are too weak for my taste. Other than the machine is a little expensive, my cost per cup of double shot Lavazza Espresso or Cappuccino is around 15-20 cents. I bought Lavazza coffee mostly on sale from Amazon, some as little as $2-3 for an 8 oz can/brick and it can make 20-22 double shot Espresso or Cappuccino cups.

The only advantage of Keurig is convenient, but coffee tasted like water and cost per cup is expensive.

I've been saying this to the wifey since she wants to get one. Can't stand how tasteless the coffee is. I'd much rather wait 5 minutes for my 4-cup unit to brew a new pot than taste Keurig-made coffee.

I just got an airtight container for my coffee grounds and started storing them on the counter so they're room temperature. Delicious!

8o'clock Colombian,dollar store filter,12 dollar coffee machine and tap water.What I get is delicious coffee.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: sciphi

I've been saying this to the wifey since she wants to get one. Can't stand how tasteless the coffee is. I'd much rather wait 5 minutes for my 4-cup unit to brew a new pot than taste Keurig-made coffee.

I just got an airtight container for my coffee grounds and started storing them on the counter so they're room temperature. Delicious!

The taste varies greatly depending on who's K-cups you buy.

Originally Posted By: opus1
I have a Braun coffee-maker with a built-in water filter.

No real technique, I just dump in enough water for 4 "cups"
crackmeup2.gif
, a generous scoop of coffee and then a little extra into the basket/filter and let 'er rip.

This is pretty much how I roll. The most important thing to me is to buy good quality, fairly dark, whole bean coffee and grind it in the store. I buy enough for a couple of weeks. I don't worry about the water, just straight from the tap. And don't let it sit on the burner too long, coffee is good for maybe 30 minutes, and I'm being generous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back