How often to drive a second car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think running it once every 2 months is more than enough, so long as the car is actually driven, taken to full temp and kept there for at least 20 minutes.

There is no point in starting it up and idling for 10 minutes, that won't get all the fluids to temp and might also dilute the oil. You'd be better off letting it sit.

There are other precautions to take for long-term storage (battery, tires, etc) but maybe I already said too much.

I let my old Cavalier sit for 3 years. I ended up stealing the battery out of it for another vehicle but when I needed it again, a new battery was all it needed. I put some Sta-bil in the gas tank as I was anticipating not using it for a while, and although it ran really rough at first and made some smoke until I got fresh fuel in it, it did start and run on 3-year-old gas.

I changed the oil, coolant, and ATF, and drove it for 2 years and 30,000 miles with zero issues. Except for the A/C, which was broken when I parked it in the first place.

Last edited:
I had the same experience with my Cavalier. I have considered selling it but wouldn't get much money. I left it parked for at least a year until one of my main vehicles was in the shop. I use it now any time I have repair that I need more than an evening to complete on my main car or truck. It's also my "winter beater" due to the lack of A/C.

Originally Posted by blupupher
I thought I had low miles on my 2012 xB (just over 50,000 miles).
Just be careful and check the oil on that thing, it has the 2.4 that had the ring issue and not uncommon for them to use a qt of oil every 1000 miles (usually starts after 60,000 miles though, and have heard it may have been addressed by the 2012 model).

I am of the thought that if you prep it, 6 months to a year of sitting will not be a long term issue.
Full of fuel with a stabilizer in it, tires slightly over inflated, close up any easy access for rodents if it is an issue, a good wash and wax, pull the battery and set it inside on a trickle charger and be done with it.
Maybe pull the plugs and squirt a little oil in the pistons.
When you go to use it again, put the battery back in, check for critters, turn it over with the fuel pump relay/fuse out to get oil circulation, put it in and fire it up. Check tire pressure and take it on a nice long drive.

I have heard of the oil consumption issues on certain model years on 2nd gen xBs. Hopefully this 2012 won't have this issue as Toyota addressed in 2012 and up years, but I'll monitor is closely.

Originally Posted by JustinH
My wife has an identical 2011 XB, color and everything.

It has been VERY reliable, we are coming up on 100k. Nothing but maintenance items.

Uses maybe 1/2 quart in 5000 mile oil change intervals.

I'm pretty excited to score one with low of miles. Nice getting a sort of new car for 8 grand.

This is going to be no car payment vehicle, so I am looking forward to taking good care of it and getting 7-10 years out of it.

1/2 quart isn't that bad at all. And this 2012 is supposedly fixed of the oil use issue, but we'll see.

I really like the color. Kind of a blackish purple red thing going on. Definitely unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back